McKinsey & Company Summer Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Summer Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

3.8

Summer Associate Interview

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Three rounds of interviews: the first is a standardized test of math and business skills. If you pass that, the next round consists of two interviews with associates or project managers. Then, the final round consists of three interviews with partners. Each live interview includes personal interview questions to assess fit, as well as a case study. Everything was very standardized and professional, and for the most part, interviewers were easy to talk to and very interesting, engaging people!

Interview Questions

• Nothing too unexpected. The personal interview questions really vary but McKinsey tends to focus on the same kinds of things, so it just takes practice.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Washington, DC) in March 2011.

Interview

Interviewed first round with two different partners. Very difficult questions and they grilled you with multiple angles.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in December 2014.

Interview

Applied through my university, asked to come in for an interview. The first part was their standardized test -- a little like GRE but trickier -- and then some mock group case interviews which were pretty straightforward. The test (PST) was tricky, didn't pass, wasn't invited to the second round of interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Initial resume screening, Long process with 2 rounds of interviews. First round contained two case interviews and fit questions. Third round involved 3 back to back hour long interviews with joint case studies and fit questions. Personal experience questions are very specific and you need to know exactly what your story is, how you contributed, and what you learned. You receive a buddy at the office you are interviewing with who will call you and give you tips and a practice case if you want it which you should definitely take advantage of. The third round is a long day. I was called to go to New York extremely last minute. At 4pm I was called and told I was expected to drop all school work and get on a 4 hour train into the city to arrive at the office at 8am the next day for interviews.

Interview Questions

• What would a city want to consider when deciding to install public wifi   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Very professional and formalized interview process. Three rounds in total: 1) Written multiple choice exam based on reading comprehension coupled with quantitative analysis. 2) Two back to back interviews with Engagement Managers or Associate Consultants, each of which will perform a case and fit interview. 3) Repeat round 2, but with three interviews with partners.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you once convinced someone or changed their mind about something   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

Round 1 interview
    Did 2 case + behavioral interviews
    Though I did quiet well both on behavioral and cases.
    It would have been better if I got feedback from my first interviewer who I thought was the one to ding me as my second case interview went really well. Everyone else was provided feedback on the interview but my interviewer didn't even after I emailed her asking for one. That ruined the entire process for me becuase I had really connected well with the company and wanted to get some honest feedback on what I could improve upon.

Interview Questions

• Stumbled a bit on the first case which included estimating an issue with one of the retail package products of a CPG company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in March 2014.

Interview

I applied online after being invited by email. First I had a math test (similar to GRE) in NY and after passing that, I was invited to a first round of interviews in Chicago 2 weeks later. I passed the first round so the following day I had the 2nd.

Interview Questions

• Three case interviews, plus questions about particular challenges in my previous jobs (dealing with difficult bosses, teammates, etc).   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied on campus as an APD candidate (sciences phd), received invitation for an Initial Assesment and Interview Workshop (IWIA) including the McK problem solving test what was a long time after I sent in the application online. Invited back via e-mail the same evening for a first round interview. I was assigned a buddy from the IWIA who gave me some great advice for how to improve! Then the interview was two different people each with a personal experience and case section. I was called two days later (on a saturday) by an interviewer saying I did not move on but giving me, once again, some great feedback.

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Three rounds of interviews, starting with the IWIA, then two rounds of case/behavioral interviews. The IWIA is a standardized test of sorts (practice tests available online). The test is fairly difficult, so study up.

The second and third round interviews are a combination of case/behavioral interviews, two or three in a row. Your interviewer will drill down into you past history, so take some time to remember a few pertinent experiences, especially around teamwork and leadership.

The cases are formulaic. They all involve structuring a problem, solving a math problem, and interpreting a series of graphs. Be prepared to talk about unfamiliar industries and to generate insights on a short timeframe in a systematic manner.

Interview Questions

• A certain town in looking to increase its Foreign Direct Investment. How would you go about doing this?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

Standard consulting interview procedure. Two 1:1 interviews (30-45 mins each), half behavioral half case. The interviews were collaborative (not confrontational), but there are an exceedingly large number of very qualified candidates for a limited number of positions, so the process was also quite competitive. Preparation is crucial.

Interview Questions

• Both interviewers asked for almost identical behavioral questions - a time that I had challenges working as a team.   1 Answer