McKinsey & Company Summer Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Summer Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

3.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

The process typically consists of two rounds. During the first round, a candidate has two back to back interviews, each consisting of behavioral and case parts. Successful candidates will typically proceed to the second round, where they will be interviewed by the partner. First round interview cases tend to be more structured while the second round ones are typically more open-ended.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the time in your life when you had a conflict with your colleagues?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in January 2019.

Interview

I applied for the Mexico Office. I sent my resume, and after one month they invited me to the next face that was one day of four interviews, each one half personal and half business case.

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I attended on campus recruitment event with the Madrid office. It was just initial presentation of the firm. They were completely unprepared, haven't heard at all about the McKinsey test and didn't help much with the insights. Maybe it's because one of the two who presented had 4 weeks experience in the firm. I must say that no one really knew how he got in. The other lady who also presented was there only physically. None of them actually knew anything about any other office except that in Madrid.

Interview Questions

• I asked them questions about other offices and the firm in general. They didn't know much.   1 Answer

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oslo (Norway)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Oslo (Norway)) in September 2017.

Interview

Two interviews of 50 minutes. First personal experience interview where I was asked in detail about a difficult teamwork task. Followed by standard case interviews. Not many quantitative questions, mostly about business sense and strategy

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you faced difficulties in achieving a goal.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (London, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Two interviewers. They are all engagement managers. Personal experience interview + case interview. Each takes 30 minutes, so in total 2 hours. Then the two interviewers had a chat about whether to pass the interviewee.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to go consulting? Can you tell one of your stories about your leadership? Can you tell one of your stories about how to motivate your team?   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warsaw (Poland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Warsaw (Poland)) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied through the website, 2 weeks later was contacted by recruiter to schedule problem solving test.
    I passed the test, and then an interview was scheduled.
    There were 3 rounds in that interview, all with different consultants. Every round consisted of small talk and case. I also had time to tell more about myself and why I wanna work for the company.

Summer Associate Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2011.

Interview

I had 2 hourlong interviews. Each consisted on 1 behavioral question and a case. The behavioral questions were very general and the interviewer asked lots of follow-up questions on my answer. Then we moved on to the case. Compared to other consulting cases, McKinsey's tend to be more specific (i.e. they give you more data without you having to probe for it). I definitely failed to "crack" one of the cases, so I wasn't surprised not to get an offer.

After the interview, one of my interviewers called me and provided very specific feedback--basically to go more in depth with the case (from my base framework, create 4-5 bullet points under each broad category).

Summer Associate Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2010.

Interview

Applied through on-campus recruitment process. First round interviews consisted of two one-on-one interviews that were part behavioral and part case. The cases were typical McKinsey - just like what you see on their website. Don't underestimate the behavioral portion, as there is supposedly equal weighting on the case and the personal experience parts. Be prepared to "deep dive" on the real life examples you share.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you disagreed with someone and were able to convince her or him of your position.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2009.

Interview

First Round:

60-minute time assessment - the key here is to practice, practice, practice the sample exams and to move quickly through the questions (you will be very rushed for time) *Most critical*

2 Group case interviews - since coming in with an advanced degree, this session is more to "teach" the case process, highly quantitative, lots of strategy/creativity, and clear communication needed

Second Round:

Individual Case/Fit/Resume interviews - 3 interviews, make sure you know can solve cases in your sleep, practice for the Personal Experience questions (very unnatural)

Interview Questions

• Give me the book title and chapter titles for a major accomplishment.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2010.

Interview

You are asked to go into the nearest MckInsey office to take a written test when you are granted an interview. After that you are schedule to interview and go over two cases, fairly standard.

The cases are not too difficult. They have some numbers and qualitative factors. If you practice enough you should be good!