McKinsey & Company Summer Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Summer Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Jan 28, 2017

4.0

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

First round of on campus interviews (two interviews that include questions about myself and a case)
Last round included interviews with three principals at the office that I applied to that lasted about an hour each(each interview consisted of questions about my leadership and teamwork in addition to a case in each one). The last round interviews were very different that cases and questions that I had prepped beforehand.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Typical PEI questions about leadership, conflict, teams, etc.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in November 2016.

Interview

I attended an on-campus info session, applied online, and got called for first round. Each McKinsey interview is about 10-15min PEI, 35-40min case. For SBA, you'll typically have six (6) of these total.

First round is two (2) interviews with relatively junior consultants at the firm, typically at the closest office to your university. Second round is four (4) interviews with senior associates and partners, on-site at your designated office preference.

A couple hours after my second round, I got a call from the partner that interviewed me to extend an offer.

Interview Questions

• McKinsey's Personal Experience Interview (PEI) is quite different from others in that you'll only be answering one question (i.e. telling one story) for 10-15 minutes. They really dig deep on every detail; they'll ask about the conversations you had, your thought processes, and conflicts. Every PEI question addresses one of the three main pillars (leadership, personal impact, drive & achievement).

I had five stories prepared in detail. I repeated stories from first round to second, but just make sure to not repeat a story within in the same round. Since the second round has four interviews, make sure to have at LEAST that many examples. I recommend 5-6 stories that you'll be able to tailor to address the specific question asked.

As far as cases go, there's really no element of surprise with McKinsey. Cases are interviewer led, meaning you'll be asked a series of questions throughout the discussion to help guide your thinking. All cases involve some sort of math. Be prepared to be pushed and questioned on your logic; this doesn't mean you're wrong, they just want to ensure you have good reasoning behind your hypothesis. My best advice would be to practice plenty of cases with partners or even on your own. Get comfortable with the case format and articulating your thoughts in a client-friendly manner.
      Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

One behavioral question followed by a case question with two different McKinsey consultants. Typical McKinsey interview format. Given a sheet with graphs to analyze as well in one of the interviews

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with someone who had strongly opposing views. How did you change their mind?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Standard two-stage process, each with 2-3 PEIs and cases. FIrst round with associates/EMs and second round with Partners. First round cases weren't too difficult, but they got far more complex in the second round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Charlottesville, VA) in November 2016.

Interview

The case interview process was very enjoyable. The interviews were both nearly an hour long, but the interviewers were easy to get along with and wanted to get to know what it would e like to work together.

Interview Questions

• When have you faced a difficult situation communicating in a team and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Durham, NC) in October 2016.

Interview

Two 50 minute cases, each one about half personal experience and half case. Definitely non-standard cases that you wouldn't be able to fit a memorized framework to. Seemed to be tailored to interviewers' previous work. There were also lots of diagrams/handouts to figure out, lots of data to digest.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Dallas, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

The process was pretty much as I expected it to be. 2 first round Skype interviews, followed by 4 consecutive AP/ Partner interviews in the Dallas office about two weeks later. The interviewers were very friendly and helpful. I definitely got the feeling that they genuinely wanted me to succeed. They did not have any trick questions or extremely difficult cases. Preparation for a McKinsey interview is key, and less than ~100 hours of prep is probably not enough.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were leading a team and had to resolve a conflict that arose.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time that you were able to persuade someone to your way of thinking.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

First round: 2 45-min case and behavorial interviews. I assume that I didn't pass it, but I haven't heard back after 2 weeks. Recruiter not very responsive in getting back on my status.

Anonymous Employee in Summit, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Summit, NJ) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied to the position through both Handshake and McKinsey's own application site. I received an interview offer approximately one week afterward. Interviewees were allowed to select time slots that best worked for them. The first interview took place on campus and lasted about two hours. I met with two McKinsey employees separately - one of them may have been an engagement manager. Each interview lasted about 50 minutes. They both opened with a 20-25 minute personal experience portion and then led into a 25-30 minute case interview. At the conclusion of this interview, I was given a form that allowed me to rank my preferences for offices to interview for a position, should I receive an offer to do so. I ranked the New Jersey office as my first choice, and received an offer to interview there several days later. I was given about two weeks to prepare for the second-round interview. The second round interview was exactly like the first round interview, except it was four hours long, featured three individual interviews (with a one hour break after the first two), and was conducted exclusively with partners in the New Jersey office. Again, there was a roughly even split between personal experience and case interviews.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me about a time when you had to work through a difficult problem in a collaborative environment?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in August 2016.

Interview

First round: 2, 45 minute sessions. 15 min behavioral, 30 min case (x2).
    Second round: 3, 60 minute sessions. 20 min behavioral, 30 min case, 10 min questions. Second round you interview with partners, so it can be a little less "by the book" and dependent on the person.

Interview Questions

• Why McKinsey?
      Tell me about a time when you disagreed with someone on your team.
      What do you do for fun?