McKinsey & Company Summer Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Summer Business Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

4.0

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Baltimore, MD) in February 2018.

Interview

The interview itself involved two cases back to back. Each case was first started with a behavioral interview though the second was shorter. The cases were very analytical and expected the use of graphs and numbers.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Jersey City, NJ) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied through on-campus recruiting. The first round was on campus and consisted of two back-to-back hour long interviews, each one divided into a half-hour personal experience interview and a half hour case interview. The second round was the next week at their Jersey City, NJ office and was similar but was instead 3 hour long interviews. The cases were generally straightforward, as were the PEI questions (if you go on their website and look at sample questions you won't be surprised). I got a call back after the weekend saying I didn't get the position.

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell me about a time when you had to change someone's mind.
      Q: Tell me about a time when you led a group through a difficult time.
      Q: Tell me about a time when you had to overcome a challenge.   Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2017.

Interview

There were 5 interviews -- the process was about a month. First round was its associates in chicago with two interviews, both a case and behavioral. Second round had three interviews.

Interview Questions

McKinsey & Company Response

Sep 21, 2018 – Recruiting Expert

Congratulations on your offer!

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2017.

Interview

Notified for first round interview (on campus) about a week after the deadline. First interview was on-campus and as expected. Called three days afterwards to forward to second round. Second interview was in Northeast Office of choice and again was as expected, although partners/more senior members might give cases that are different from what you've seen before. I really felt that the interviewers were trying to find the best in me and would ask questions to make sure I hit the points they were looking for. They were all really nice and there was no need to feel intimidated. I completely stopped case practice in the two weeks before the second interview and I think this helped...no need to overprepare -- just show how you think. Overall really impressed with the interviewers -- out of any firm they were the best ambassadors (more so than coffee chats, presentations etc.) because all were fun, nice and funny.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time in which you had to go outside of your comfort zone and what you did.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time in which you dealt with conflict on a team   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when your team faced a challenge and you led the team through it   Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2018.

Interview

Standard university recruiting. Two interviews for the first round. Short fit interview followed by a case interview for both. Both cases were not that difficult, however the math portion of one question was a really unexpected one.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Salt Lake City, UT) in October 2018.

Interview

The interviews I met with were very nice. They made it a very comfortable and casual environment. Make sure you prepare for the PEI questions. I think it is very common to focus on the case interview and wing the PEI, but that is equally as important and you need to have a solid story for these questions. Also, brush up on your mental math skills because in an interview it is easy to forget those basic skills if you have't used them in a while.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to lead a team through a conflict.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Washington, DC).

Interview

The process incorporated a resume drop, followed by a first round interview with 2 interviews, and that was followed by a final round interview with three interviews. There were plenty of opportunities to network, ask questions, work with current analysts and so forth.

Interview Questions

• "Tell us about a ambiguous situation you had to navigate, and how you showed your leadership through it."   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

2 rounds, 1st round 2 interviews with Associates and Engagement Managers, 2nd round 3 interviews with Partners and Senior-Partners. All Interviews consisted of Personal fit questions and Business Case Interview

Anonymous Employee in Summit, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Summit, NJ) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied to the position through both Handshake and McKinsey's own application site. I received an interview offer approximately one week afterward. Interviewees were allowed to select time slots that best worked for them. The first interview took place on campus and lasted about two hours. I met with two McKinsey employees separately - one of them may have been an engagement manager. Each interview lasted about 50 minutes. They both opened with a 20-25 minute personal experience portion and then led into a 25-30 minute case interview. At the conclusion of this interview, I was given a form that allowed me to rank my preferences for offices to interview for a position, should I receive an offer to do so. I ranked the New Jersey office as my first choice, and received an offer to interview there several days later. I was given about two weeks to prepare for the second-round interview. The second round interview was exactly like the first round interview, except it was four hours long, featured three individual interviews (with a one hour break after the first two), and was conducted exclusively with partners in the New Jersey office. Again, there was a roughly even split between personal experience and case interviews.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me about a time when you had to work through a difficult problem in a collaborative environment?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Charlottesville, VA) in November 2016.

Interview

The case interview process was very enjoyable. The interviews were both nearly an hour long, but the interviewers were easy to get along with and wanted to get to know what it would e like to work together.

Interview Questions

• When have you faced a difficult situation communicating in a team and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question