McKinsey & Company Summer Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 21, 2017

4.0

60 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in January 2017.

Interview

After you've received an interview offer, they send a ton of super helpful documentation and links and pair you with a buddy. I had a month to practice cases with my buddy and to practice behavioural questions on my own. The process itself is two rounds (two days): the first round is 2 interviews with (senior) analysts and the second is 4 interviews with partners. Each interview is about an hour, with 10-15 minutes for a behavioural question and 20-25 for the case. They really get into the behavioural question, I only used one story for each interview. As such, know your stories well (very detailed) and make sure it fits the question and highlights the three qualities they're looking for (entrepreneurship, personal impact and leadership).

Interview Questions

• What was a challenge that you had to overcome and how did you overcome it?
    What was a challenge that you had to overcome with a team?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

First round of on campus interviews (two interviews that include questions about myself and a case)
    Last round included interviews with three principals at the office that I applied to that lasted about an hour each(each interview consisted of questions about my leadership and teamwork in addition to a case in each one). The last round interviews were very different that cases and questions that I had prepped beforehand.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Typical PEI questions about leadership, conflict, teams, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Durham, NC) in October 2016.

Interview

Two 50 minute cases, each one about half personal experience and half case. Definitely non-standard cases that you wouldn't be able to fit a memorized framework to. Seemed to be tailored to interviewers' previous work. There were also lots of diagrams/handouts to figure out, lots of data to digest.

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Budapest (Hungary)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Budapest (Hungary)) in April 2015.

Interview

Numerical test, then five interviews in two rounds. Interviews consist 15 mins of HR questions and 30 mins of case solving. The last interview was kind of a stress interview, but with the same structure. Be consistent with your answers, and get some experience in case solving beforehand.

Interview Questions

• What do you think the other interviewers told me about you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Stamford, CT) in January 2015.

Interview

3 first round interviews, 3 final round interviews. A personal question part, and then a case. The level of difficulty is harder in the first round, the final round is usually easier. It really depends on who is interviewing. To prepare, you just have to practice BOTH the personal and the case questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2015.

Interview

Submitted application online. Contacted 4 weeks later for an interview. Had first round interview, was contacted day after informing me I would have a second round interview a week later.

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Two interviews for first round, four interviews for second round. Each interview was an hour long - 20 minutes on behavioral and 40 minutes of casing. Behavioral questions are in-depth (e.g., you are asked to give very specific details). The cases are challenging and follow the format of the online practices cases. Best way to succeed is to practice casing using their online materials/videos.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Salary is comparable (if not identical) to other top consulting firms. I did not feel like I had any power to ask for a higher salary (nor did I feel like I needed one).

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2012.

Interview

2 rounds. First round was 2 cases. Both were medium to medium hard difficulty. Got through to the second round. Went through three case interviews, one with an associate, one with a fairly senior member, and one with region director. For the second round they give you an interview buddy to help you practice. Cases have similar structure to their online practice cases, which is different from the style done at BCG where I also interviewed. I personally find the McKinsey ones easier because they provide more structure.

Interview Questions

• Cases varied in difficulty from medium to hard.   1 Answer

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Taipei (Taiwan)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Taipei (Taiwan)) in April 2013.

Interview

1. Sent the resume and cover letter through their website
    2. Asked to attend the PST and a small English oral proficiency test (a small and relaxing chat)
    3. Asked to attend the "batch day" when most candidates gather in the office to take the case interview.There will be at least 2 case interviews in one round (45 minutes each, will give you abundant time to take a break between interviews)
    4. After the round of interview, your interviewer will give you feedback immediately and tell you if you pass the round, if not, you can go home directly... (Cruel!!)
    5. If you pass the round, you will be asked to take the next round of interview, same process as above. There will be at least 3 rounds, and I failed in the 2nd round...

Interview Questions

• Nothing "unexpected", because the expectation is that the interview will be difficult and unexpected. PST and case interviews are just as what they should be like.   Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Initially, I had to do a test and there was a pre-interview workshop. Then there were two interviews at the London offices, both involving both a personal experience element and a written case study.