McKinsey & Company Summer Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 21, 2017

4.0

60 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (London, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied through my school's career center and McKinsey website. Was contacted and went through a practice case with an alum, then had two back to back Skype interviews since I was abroad. Connection and the video software they used were both pretty horrible, and the calls failed multiple times. Interviews were both an in depth personal question followed by a case. Interviewers seemed uninterested and annoyed, and were not who I was told I would be interviewing with. Was called a couple weeks later to say I didn't get the next round, which was unsurprising given the interview quality.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (London, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

It was one of the most advantageous experience according to interviews I have ever had. It was my first interview, and they gave me a super-useful feedback, as I didn't pass.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your background and one experience in which you had to lead a project.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (London, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

CV and Cover Letter scanning, online questions, pst at the London office, first round and then second round interviews. The process was overall enjoyable, though the interview was difficult for me because of a lack of preparation (especially for the case study component). For the fit component, the interviewers asked in-depth questions, felt like they wanted to be able to really picture the exact situation in their head, I would advise against talking about cases you don't feel perfectly comfortable with.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you resolved a conflict in a difficult situation.   1 Answer

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lisbon (Portugal)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Lisbon (Portugal)) in January 2017.

Interview

FIrstly, one problem solving test. Then,two intervviewes with senior associates, about personal life and case interview. After this, received feedback on the interview and was informed that I should take two more interviews with the partners at the office, again about my personal life and case interview.

Interview Questions

• Lots of things, mostly based on estimates, conclusions, analyisis, personal life, etc.   Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in January 2017.

Interview

After you've received an interview offer, they send a ton of super helpful documentation and links and pair you with a buddy. I had a month to practice cases with my buddy and to practice behavioural questions on my own. The process itself is two rounds (two days): the first round is 2 interviews with (senior) analysts and the second is 4 interviews with partners. Each interview is about an hour, with 10-15 minutes for a behavioural question and 20-25 for the case. They really get into the behavioural question, I only used one story for each interview. As such, know your stories well (very detailed) and make sure it fits the question and highlights the three qualities they're looking for (entrepreneurship, personal impact and leadership).

Interview Questions

• What was a challenge that you had to overcome and how did you overcome it?
      What was a challenge that you had to overcome with a team?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Summit, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Summit, NJ) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied to the position through both Handshake and McKinsey's own application site. I received an interview offer approximately one week afterward. Interviewees were allowed to select time slots that best worked for them. The first interview took place on campus and lasted about two hours. I met with two McKinsey employees separately - one of them may have been an engagement manager. Each interview lasted about 50 minutes. They both opened with a 20-25 minute personal experience portion and then led into a 25-30 minute case interview. At the conclusion of this interview, I was given a form that allowed me to rank my preferences for offices to interview for a position, should I receive an offer to do so. I ranked the New Jersey office as my first choice, and received an offer to interview there several days later. I was given about two weeks to prepare for the second-round interview. The second round interview was exactly like the first round interview, except it was four hours long, featured three individual interviews (with a one hour break after the first two), and was conducted exclusively with partners in the New Jersey office. Again, there was a roughly even split between personal experience and case interviews.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me about a time when you had to work through a difficult problem in a collaborative environment?   1 Answer

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madrid (Spain)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Madrid (Spain)) in December 2016.

Interview

The cases were very easy, basic numbers and calculations. Structure was very important, they asked me to draw and structure my thoughts.

I found the competences part of the interview much more difficult as they asked for a lot of details of only one situation. Prepare what you want to talk about and more importantly how do you want to explain it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Charlottesville, VA) in November 2016.

Interview

The case interview process was very enjoyable. The interviews were both nearly an hour long, but the interviewers were easy to get along with and wanted to get to know what it would e like to work together.

Interview Questions

• When have you faced a difficult situation communicating in a team and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Dallas, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

The process was pretty much as I expected it to be. 2 first round Skype interviews, followed by 4 consecutive AP/ Partner interviews in the Dallas office about two weeks later. The interviewers were very friendly and helpful. I definitely got the feeling that they genuinely wanted me to succeed. They did not have any trick questions or extremely difficult cases. Preparation for a McKinsey interview is key, and less than ~100 hours of prep is probably not enough.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were leading a team and had to resolve a conflict that arose.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time that you were able to persuade someone to your way of thinking.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in November 2016.

Interview

I attended an on-campus info session, applied online, and got called for first round. Each McKinsey interview is about 10-15min PEI, 35-40min case. For SBA, you'll typically have six (6) of these total.

First round is two (2) interviews with relatively junior consultants at the firm, typically at the closest office to your university. Second round is four (4) interviews with senior associates and partners, on-site at your designated office preference.

A couple hours after my second round, I got a call from the partner that interviewed me to extend an offer.

Interview Questions

• McKinsey's Personal Experience Interview (PEI) is quite different from others in that you'll only be answering one question (i.e. telling one story) for 10-15 minutes. They really dig deep on every detail; they'll ask about the conversations you had, your thought processes, and conflicts. Every PEI question addresses one of the three main pillars (leadership, personal impact, drive & achievement).

I had five stories prepared in detail. I repeated stories from first round to second, but just make sure to not repeat a story within in the same round. Since the second round has four interviews, make sure to have at LEAST that many examples. I recommend 5-6 stories that you'll be able to tailor to address the specific question asked.

As far as cases go, there's really no element of surprise with McKinsey. Cases are interviewer led, meaning you'll be asked a series of questions throughout the discussion to help guide your thinking. All cases involve some sort of math. Be prepared to be pushed and questioned on your logic; this doesn't mean you're wrong, they just want to ensure you have good reasoning behind your hypothesis. My best advice would be to practice plenty of cases with partners or even on your own. Get comfortable with the case format and articulating your thoughts in a client-friendly manner.   Answer Question