McKinsey & Company Summer Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Summer Business Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

4.0

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online through campus recruiting website, first round interview involved multiple interviews of same format: fit and then case. Fit was focused heavily on one experience and really digging in on every aspect of the event, expect many follow up questions about the situation you bring up. Standard case both times

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in February 2016.

Interview

Intense but very rewarding. First round in office nearby to school -- interviewed by EMs. Second/final round at office preference site and all interviews done by partners.
    On campus case workshop, case buddy program, and McK alumni were invaluable resources for preparing for the case and PEI components. The structure of the PEIs really allows McK to evaluate the depth of candidates and caters to unique, thoughtful experiences.
    Advice: skip all case prep resources (watch a few video tutorials for an overview) and move straight into practicing and reading cases. Do as many as you can. McK cases tend to be pretty similar (almost all were profitability related). Final round cases are tougher and off script so memorizing frameworks will only hurt you. For the PEIs, really go through your resume and think about each of your activities to think about key times you displayed leadership, passion, teamwork, and made an impact.

Interview Questions

• What is an obstacle that you overcame while working in a group ?
      Tell me about a time you showed leadership
      Tell me about a time you changed someone's mind
      Tell me about a difficult work/team dynamic and how you navigated it   Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

The interview process was quite difficult. It consisted of two 15-20 minute behavioral interview portion, alongside two 20-30 minute case interview portion in the first round. McKinsey came to my school for recruiting so this was all done on campus. I did not make it past the first interview round but apparently the second round is held at a McKinsey office. I would urge you to prepare really well for the case studies, they were quite hard. They provided me with feedback stating that I did really well in the behavioral interview, but yeah obviously the case study part was a bit week. It was a great learning experience for me moving forward and I now know what to do in preparation for full-time entry.

Interview Questions

• They try to hone in on specific questions in your resume so you definitely have to be able to be in a good position to explain the specifics of what you did in your job and extracurricular experiences. They also ask group-setting questions, and how you navigate teamwork activities.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in February 2016.

Interview

Online application, 1st round in Regional Office, Final round in 2nd preference office. 1st round was primarily with young analysts and associates from similar alma maters. Final round was with partners and up, with a range of different backgrounds. Bring authenticity to your answers as much as you can, I know that's where I excelled.

Interview Questions

• 1st round went smooth. PEI was standard, and be careful with zeros and dimensional analysis set up. One director asked me for three different stories, so be prepared with 4-5 of them. Regarding the cases, be prepared for economies of scale type questions, and for higher ups to not give you full attention/serve as a distraction.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

the interviewed consisted in two rounds of interviews. First round was composed of three interviews with associates and EM's. The second and final round was similar to the first one, but this time I interviewed with partners. I found the process very standardized and efficient. The interviewers were very polite, and the cases I did were very interesting.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Washington, DC) in December 2015.

Interview

Standard 3 Case Interviews and talked about 3 behavioral questions. Nothing too different from the first round interview. Different interviewers definitely made a significant impact on how your interview went.

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Stamford, CT) in January 2015.

Interview

3 first round interviews, 3 final round interviews. A personal question part, and then a case. The level of difficulty is harder in the first round, the final round is usually easier. It really depends on who is interviewing. To prepare, you just have to practice BOTH the personal and the case questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2015.

Interview

Got an on campus interview by applying online to both the McKinsey website and our campus recruiting website. A week before the interview, McKinsey hosted a case interview workshop, during which BA's gave us tips on the process and split us up into groups for a practice case. This was super helpful, given it was the first case interview I have ever experienced. I also found potential study buddies.

The first round interview was on my college campus: one-hour interviews with two Engagement Managers each, 15 minutes devoted to Fit and 45 minutes devoted to the case. My interview was Friday, and on Monday, the recruiter called to let me know I had a second final interview in two weeks. At this point, tons of people from McKinsey e-mailed me to congratulate me in getting a second interview and offered to either grab coffee or review cases with me. My first round interviewer called to give me feedback on how I can improve, which was incredibly helpful. I was very touched and amazed by the support I received from McKinsey at this point.

My final interview was on-site at the office I applied for. The night before, all the applicants had dinner with current BA's, which was really fun. Again, the final interview was standard, this time I was interviewed by 2 partners a 1 associate principal. The interviews were from 8-11am, and by 1pm a partner I interviewed with called to tell me I had an offer. That night, all offerees were invited to celebrate. I had a blast interviewing with McKinsey, and very much appreciated the professionalism of the company, the support they gave interviewees, and the enthusiasm the people in the company had for their jobs.

Interview Questions

• Fit questions-- What is a time you have failed? What was a time you had a disagreement with a team member? What was a time you had to make a difficult decision as a leader?

Case interviews-- standard case interview questions. There was a case presented on an iPad app, which was cool!   Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Two interviews for first round, four interviews for second round. Each interview was an hour long - 20 minutes on behavioral and 40 minutes of casing. Behavioral questions are in-depth (e.g., you are asked to give very specific details). The cases are challenging and follow the format of the online practices cases. Best way to succeed is to practice casing using their online materials/videos.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Salary is comparable (if not identical) to other top consulting firms. I did not feel like I had any power to ask for a higher salary (nor did I feel like I needed one).

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2015.

Interview

Submitted application online. Contacted 4 weeks later for an interview. Had first round interview, was contacted day after informing me I would have a second round interview a week later.