McLaren Technology Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McLaren Technology Group Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2017

HSE Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woking, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McLaren Technology Group (Woking, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied online and got an email for confirmation of a date for a telephone interview; second stage being presentation and third was a general risk assessment. Very friendly process; However; it took more than a month to reach the final stage

Interview Questions

• Difference between Risk Assessment and Safety Procedure   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McLaren Technology Group.

Interview

The assessment centre started by splitting the candidates into 2 groups. The 2 groups were given a scenario exercise and were given 15 minutes to think of solutions and explanations. Each group then present their solutions and the reasons behind them, followed by some questions from the interviewers. Each individual goes to a separate room with 2 interviewers and give a talk (presentation) that was prepared before hand followed by questions from the interviewers about the presentation. A technical interview was then carried out with the interviewers asking questions regarding skills, qualifications and experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe one time you worked in a team and you faced a quite big challenge. What was the challenge, how did you deal with the situation and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woking, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McLaren Technology Group (Woking, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

15 minute phone interview with their recruiter, very friendly person. Two weeks later I had a 90 minute face-to-face meeting with team lead and manager at MTC Woking. Also met the sales manager at start of interview for an overview of the product. Then had a relaxed technical chat across a table. Seemed nice people and an interesting product. I didn't get shown around the offices, but then they are moving this team to a new building in Woking town centre. They photocopy your passport when you get there - not had that done before.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woking, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McLaren Technology Group (Woking, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Slow, 2 months to complete the full process and difficult to find the final date for personal interview. Very kind and professional staff. Finally it didn't work out, but it was a pleasure to be there . Excellent facilities.

Interview Questions

• Lots of questions about my experience, point by point review of my CV. 2 hours interview including project presentation.   Answer Question

Test Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Woking, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McLaren Technology Group (Woking, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

2 months to complete the full process. Very kind and professional staff. Long working hours, excellent facilities. They didn't ask for tea or coffee for the entire 2 hour duration.

Interview Questions

• Scanned the CV right from the very first job   Answer Question
    • Went through the demo system to analyse results and why   Answer Question
    • What is user account testing, the interviewer initially worded it as Security testing, which I had to reword for her knowledge :-)   Answer Question
    • How many miles does a McLaren do in one season   1 Answer
    • If you have a match, gas lamp, oil lamp and candle, what will you light first?   1 Answer

Frontend Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McLaren Technology Group in April 2017.

Interview

The whole process took around 2 months to be completed and was comprised of 3 phases: an HR phone screening interview, a coding test, and a technical interview with the hiring manager a team member in case you passed the coding test.

The whole experience had a negative tone to it, where multiple reschedules took place, including standing me up in an interview, multiple emails from different HR recruiters asking to setup an interview (they were clueless that I had already been contacted by their colleagues), and a lot of time between interviews, sometimes 2-3 weeks.

The initial HR screening took 12 minutes, in which the recruiter talked for about 8 minutes explaining how he wasn't sure I had the right background for the position, and how people shouldn't apply to McLaren Applied Technologies just because they love Formula 1.

Then a simple coding exercise took place, followed by a technical interview to which I failed to answer properly a couple of HTML and CSS questions, and I was disqualified for that.
    I think that if someone passes the coding test but just don't know how to answer the 3 ways to hide an element with CSS, this person shouldn't be disqualified. But just my opinion.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join McLaren Applied Technologies?   Answer Question
    • What do you think McLaren Applied Technologies do?   Answer Question
    • How do you think your background is relevant to this position?   Answer Question
    • Can you explain what a Flexbox in CSS is?   Answer Question
    • What are the ways to hide an element with CSS?   Answer Question
    • What is the difference between a null element and an undefined element in Javascript?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McLaren Technology Group.

Interview

The first stage was an application process, followed by a 30 min phone interview with HR. I then went into the MTC to be interviewed by a senior person from McLaren Marketing and HR.

Interview Questions

• How would you convince a senior director to be interviewed for an influential publication if they disagreed?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Woking, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McLaren Technology Group (Woking, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process was quite quick from start to finish about 2 weeks, two telephone rounds and one face to face interview with senior engineering team. One thing was that I constantly felt like I hat to pull the information from HR and push them for updates to keep the ball rolling.

Interview Questions

• What relevant experience do you have to the job description?   1 Answer
    • What sensors would you use in [X] application and why, how would this data help you to achieve your objective?   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McLaren Technology Group.

Interview

Initial discussion with HR over the phone, in which they asked very little about me and spoke mainly about the company. Asked that I complete a coding challenge about machine learning. This was followed by a technical interview on the phone.
    Poor communication from HR throughout the process and they took a long time to reply at each stage.

Interview Questions

• Differences between supervised and unsupervised machine learning?
      Who do you look up to in the data science world?
      Describe Bayesian methods. When would they be advantageous?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunbury-on-Thames, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McLaren Technology Group (Sunbury-on-Thames, England (UK)).

Interview

Very bad recruitment process. After numerous phonecalls, one of which was scheduled and forgotten with a very casual email apology, finally went in for an interview and was told they'd get back to me within a week. I was never contacted.