McMaster-Carr Business Generalist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McMaster-Carr Business Generalist Interview Questions

Interviews at McMaster-Carr

2.7

Business Generalist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr.

Interview

Very rapid. Thoughtful, intelligent interviewers. Interesting, thought-provoking questions.

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate salary.

Other Interview Reviews for McMaster-Carr

Anonymous Employee in Elmhurst, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Elmhurst, IL) in November 2013.

Interview

Friend submitted resume to HR. Did a phone interview that was more geared towards personal experience over work experience. After 15 minutes was told to come in the next week for an interview.

For the in-person interview I toured the warehouse then met with the first interviewer. She asked me more general questions about my character then had me listen to a phone call for an order and write a response email. The next interviewer asked me questions about my resume and work experience. She had me then find a product on their website.

Next I sat with a customer service employee who showed me how she did her job and replied to customers. Next I met with another interviewer who asked me more general questions about my life. She had me then find a product for a customer based off an email. Interview was around 3 hours.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate. Had read the company doesn't budge very much and the offer was generous.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elmhurst, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Elmhurst, IL) in May 2012.

Interview

I was recruited by someone who worked at the company.This company seems to be quite secretive which I can understand because they are a private organization but to be secretive about the position at hand is wierd. My interview was just as the other reviewers on this site have described. The position is to be an order taker. No sales, no real commission, no personality just take orders only. Didn't really come off as a friendly enviornment either. I met with 4 people, of whom really didn't give much insight into the position. They gave no real time to ask questions, had me write out a fake e-mail, search their catalog to find a random hazardous flashlight and talked the whole time. I could barely finish a sentence. The last interviewer looked peeved because I think my interview ran into his lunch break so he basically played on his phone while I figured out some sort of problem-solving test, then escorted me out. I didn't even know the interview was done until we ended up by the front door. They preach customer service but treat the people in front of them pretty poorly. I received a letter a week later saying I didn't get the position without any type of feedback or reasons which I find cowardly. Its hard to rate the difficulty of this interview because I've never had an interview quite like it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, OH

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Aurora, OH).

Interview

I was contacted by HR via email asking if I would be interested in learning more about a possible opportunity. Next, was a phone interview/discussion with the same HR recruiter that emailed me. After the phone interview was an onsite interview (was interviewed 1:1 by multiple managers and HR staff). A day or two later I was made an offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe for me a time when you have come across questionable business practices; how did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

The position wasn't a good fit for my career.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elmhurst, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Elmhurst, IL) in March 2012.

Interview

Too good to be true? Yep. First, I urge anyone contacted by this company for this position not to waste their time unless they actually want to leave their current high-paying, well-earned, and high-responsibility job to answer phones in a call center. I am really annoyed that McMaster-Carr's recruiter contacted me, spent 30 minutes talking to me on the phone (I had very little chance to ask questions or respond), convinced me to come in for an interview... all for a job that they very blatantly misrepresented over the phone and through email. The job is a call center job. Customer service, leashed to your phone at your desk. That is great if that's what you're looking for, but I find the company's outright misrepresentation of the position and the job's duties to be very misleading and unethical. During my second email conversation with the recruiter, I told her flat out I wanted at least $55K, and she replied that they "offer a competitive salary." Seriously, $55K to answer phones in a call center? I should've known right there not to waste my time.

My in person interview (for which I wasted a half day of personal time) consisted of four individual interviews; about 20 min with the recruiter, and meeting individually with different managers. There was also one skills test, and two "discussions" about how I'd handle certain types of calls. During the last interview, the manager could not look me in the eye, stared out the window of the room we were in, and talked the entire time. I was unable to "discuss" anything; it was just 20 minutes of listening. Much of the interview process at McMaster-Carr is listening to them talk about how they run their business, and how great they are. Didn't get much chance to discuss how/why I fit with the company.

Anyway, I felt compelled to report this to others on glassdoor.com, because what every review says is right. This is really a waste of time. I was interested because they offer 100% tuition reimbursement, but everything about this place screams "DON'T DO IT. DON'T QUIT YOUR RESPECTABLE JOB THREE TIERS ABOVE THIS POSITION TO ANSWER PHONES--A JOB WHICH WAS PRESENTED AS SOMETHING MORE THAN IT IS."

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions. Don't get frazzled trying to find a moment where you can actually speak.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Cleveland, OH) in December 2011.

Interview

I sent my resume to Corporate HR, and they responded within 4 weeks with a phone interview, and a subsequent office interview two weeks later. Having reviewed GlassDoor reviews on the position, I knew much about the process going in. The office interview was much as the other reviewers have said. With one exception.

Having had industrial distribution experience in a big company, I was much more prepared for the position to start out minimalist, and only have advancement potential for the stellar employee. I was not disappointed by the process, and the resulting offer was a step up from my previous marketing position, albeit a step down from a previous industrial distribution position.

An important aspect is the recognition that the company values its privacy, and yet plays in a well-known space. You have to really dig to get any information, but it's there. And the other industry players are well-known. Also, the call-center space is fairly uniform, and yet constantly evolving. Better, faster, stronger -- and you have to accept that it's critical to be ready to do the work, yet help the org grow.

Interview Questions

• What's the most recent book you've read?   2 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiation at this level, but the package is generous.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, OH

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Aurora, OH) in December 2010.

Interview

I was contacted on Monster.com by a recruiter who explained that McMaster-Carr deliberately seeks out people from other fields, and that my experience in education and advanced degree had interested them. I immediately sought out information about what exactly the job entailed. All I got was the title: Business Generalist, which needless to say didn't enlighten things much. I did some research into the company and it appeared to me that I was being put on a management track. I had a very enjoyable phone interview with the recruiter and was invited to come visit. I likewise had what seemed like good interviews on site, but I finally learned what I'd actually be doing: sales phones. Not exactly a management role. And when I inquired as to paths to management, I was basically told the chances were slim to none. So I was sought out and sent through a recruitment process in order to work phones... when I have 8 years work experience and a Masters Degree. I don't mean to seem elitist, but that is not what I was given the impression I was interviewing for. I think by the end of my visit there was a mutual understanding that it would not work out.

Interview Questions

• How many people do you think possess good communication skills?   1 Answer
    • Did you graduate with your Bachelor's and Master's in the same year?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Chicago, IL).

Interview

phone interview, then in person interview, tour of the facility,
    One on one interview, then group interview with a manager, a staff member, and a recruiter. Sit down with a staff member to see the type of work you will be doing

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elmhurst, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Elmhurst, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

Fairly easy and casual interview process. The interview consisted of a tour of their shipping floor by the HR representative that contacted me for the position. I then met with another woman who walked me through a training exercise and then I sat with a current employee to get better acquainted with the job

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Aurora, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview has 3 main components a tour in which you are expected but not told to answer questions, an interview portion and a situational problem-solving activity. It lasted a whole afternoon. The interview was very helpful in getting an understanding of the work since the job description is not very clear. I would suggest that interviewees are very familiar with their website since it is what everyone uses to answer questions on the job. The business looked well run and like the employees were generally happy.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you were rushed to make a decision and you ended up making the wrong one?   Answer Question