McMaster-Carr Business Operations Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McMaster-Carr Business Operations Specialist Interview Questions

Interviews at McMaster-Carr

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Elmhurst, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Elmhurst, IL).

Interview

A local recruiter emailed me using the resume I posted on a job site. I was skeptical at first, but decided to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was a basic screening and concluded with an invite to interview in person. The in person interview lasted a total 3 hours. It was very traditional in that I came in suited up and immediately presented with a paper application. After I turned in my application, the recruiter gave me a tour of the facility with stops in between for interview questions.

Following the tour, I was led into a small interview room with a catalog and computer. I was interviewed by the recruiter, HR Manager, then a Regional Manager. Then I was instructed to run through a customer service scenario, verbally discuss my response, and type a mock email to customer. The exercise requires you listen to an audio from a past customer call. If I remember correctly, the customer had purchased an industrial cart but the wheel was damaged. You have to discuss a solution with interviewer and email the customer. I was called 2 days later with an offer to join the company.

Interview Questions

• This role is not a management role, knowing that, where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McMaster-Carr

Anonymous Employee in Robbinsville, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Robbinsville, NJ) in February 2015.

Interview

I had about a 20 minute phone interview with a HR representative which was very standard.
    Face to face interview was with 1 person. The interview process seemed very structured. Likely they ask all candidates the same questions. They will show you their catalog and ask questions to see how you think. No crazy curve balls. They really want to get an idea of how you think.

Interview Questions

• What do you notice that is not in our catalog?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Got a text from the recruiter, thought that was super weird (in 2013?) and called the number and spoke to an HR person. Had a phone interview that I didn't even know was happening, got called in for an in-person interview with a supervisor in the company and got offered the job the following week. During the interview, you have to answer a simple sample email from a customer and answer it using the McMaster catalog and your best answer to their question.

Anonymous Employee in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Standard, phone interview, then in person interview which lasted half the day. Got a tour of the department I was interviewing for. Took a test for aptitude and also for skills in typing and handling phone calls. Met with several people, all nice enough, and seemed like a great opportunity at the time.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable with limited job growth   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, just give you the rate and explained the benefits which add to the overall package.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Douglasville, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Douglasville, GA) in September 2015.

Interview

3 part interview and tour of the facility. Interview began with a very open ended conversational style interview about what the company does and how my experiences can be used in the position. Next I listened to a pre-recorded phone conversation on a computer and took notes about the conversation needing to convey back the customers wants. Then I meet the 2nd Interviewer took a tour of the facility and was tested on what has told to me. Finally Last interview was how to look up products for customers and remember how the company wants this done.

Interview Questions

• This is not a management position, how do you feel about not filling a management role?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Chicago, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

It's a bit of an extended process. First they'll phone screen you to make sure you're truly a potential fit with the company. Once you pass that you'll be invited into their offices for a "career day" of sorts where they show you what it is they actually do and the multiple offices that work together to get the job done.

By all means, it seems like a glorified call center.

They'll make you go through an initial interview off the bat, then you'll shadow different people throughout the office to see what they truly do. Afterwards they sit you down to give you a written communication test (my test was basically responding to customer inquiries about certain items and giving them the appropriate part number). That lasted me about 45 minutes. Afterwards you'll interview one last time and they'll check you to see what your thoughts are and if you still would be interested. In sum, it lasted about 3 hours total.

A few days after my interview, I was called back and told I was going to be offered a position... And here's why I didn't accept... Not in what I went in to interview in, but something else all together. The position they offered is something I'm wholly overqualified for.

Reason for the negative review? I'm positive I was not offered the Business Ops Specialist role because of my race. I'be never made. Claim like this before, but I'm positive it's only for these reasons. Take one look inside their offices and then their warehouse and you'll see that the only people of color to be found in the building will be in the warehouse.

Interview Questions

Stay away. Seriously. As a soon to be grad, im willing to take almost any job with a reasonable salary offer. But this place is known for not having any upward movement for its employees. That said, there's better opportunities out there.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Fe Springs, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Santa Fe Springs, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied on Wednesday and was sent a text message on a Thursday in which we arranged a phone interview for later that afternoon. The phone interview was typical stuff and I was invited for an in person interview. The interview was a 3 hour process which includes a sit-along component. You basically walk into a two story sea of robots working in silence at cubicles - and working fast and hard. They are basically customer service reps - that is not what I was looking for, but they are really focused and super customer oriented. Other parts of the interview include finding a part from thjeir giant catalog and answering specific questions about that part. The info is all there in the catalog - nothing to be nervous about. The interview also includes listening to a customer call and summarizing what they wanted or answering questions about the call as well as how you would handle the call.

Interview Questions

• can you see yourself working her - because no, I couldn't.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Fe Springs, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Santa Fe Springs, CA).

Interview

1. text message to set up phone interview
    2. phone interview
    3 interview that lasts 3.5 hours.
    4. forms-->1 on 1-->shadow -->skill test--> another 1 on 1
    5. letter in the mail a week later. letter dated the day after interview.

Anonymous Employee in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

They texted me to see if I wanted to talk about a job at their company.
    I texted back and we scheduled a date and time to have a phone conversation.
    Phone screening was basic: who are you, what did you do before, why are you interested in this job.
    If you pass that, they call you back within a day or two to ask you in for an interview.
    Don't be surprised to see multiple job applicants in the waiting room, they constantly interview all days of the week, continuously.
    I had 2 interviews, one with the HR associate and HR manager, the second was with the department manager and a supervisor. Typical questions like what are your strengths and weaknesses, how do you handle a tough situation, why are you interested in this position. Oh and there is a short grammar test which anyone can pass.
    If you make it through, someone in HR calls you by the next week and makes the offer, emphasizing the giant bonus and generous benefits multiple times.

Interview Questions

• They have you pretend to help a customer locate a couple things in their catalog - so you can demonstrate your demeanor and thought process.   1 Answer

Negotiation

10 minute phone call where they shared salary, benefits, and bonus. They shared this number again and again and it was a huge selling point.
    I called them back later in the day and accepted, I did not negotiate because it was fairly generous and the most important job feature is that it was 8am-5pm... but despite me communicating that a couple times, it wasn't mentioned to me that they have different shifts and new hires, after the training period, usually work the closing shift.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Recruiter found my resume on monster and contacted me via text to schedule a phone screen the same day. Interview was 1:1. Took a grammar test and 2 sample writing tests on the computer referencing the product database. No second interview required.

Interview Questions

• Interview surprisingly went really well. Questions were easy. Someone, in the previous review here, did mention that the Business Operations Specialist is a glorified call center position, which it is. I shadowed a Business Operations Specialist, and it was the easiest job to do. She just responded to emails and checked each customer's communication history. If it was something that she could not respond to, she would put it back in the pipeline and pass it on to someone else who was more specialized in that area. From my observation, people working there appeared to be genuinely friendly, happy and upbeat. One worker said that the company took care of them there.   Answer Question