McMaster-Carr Generalist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McMaster-Carr Generalist Interview Questions

Interviews at McMaster-Carr

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Palos Park, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Palos Park, IL).

Interview

Pretty standard although they do tend to look for people who are managers in other positions and put them in non management roles. The reasoning for this, makes as much sense on paper as it does when you are pitched the job.

Interview Questions

• All standard questions. If you can interview, you're golden.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Aim high, they will turn down a higher wage request at first, but then call you when you think things are over and meet your request and often increase what you were originally asking for.

Other Interview Reviews for McMaster-Carr

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elmhurst, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Elmhurst, IL).

Interview

A recruiter called me after finding my resume online. After discussing what I was looking for in a new position, she told me about some opportunities they had available. We then set up an in person interview. I met with two different managers and was then asked back for a second interview to sit with someone in the department to see what the position entailed first hand. A few days later, I was called with an offer for a position that was NOT what I had initially interviewed for. They asked if I would be interested in coming in for a third interview to discuss the position they had offered me. I declined as I was not interested in the position that was being offered at that time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Robbinsville, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Robbinsville, NJ) in July 2011.

Interview

The whole process started with a HR person seeing my resume on one of the various job sites. He called me and we spoke for about a half hour. He asked me a series of questions about my background and how I would handle certain situations. After the call we set up an in-person interview. During this interview I met with the person whom I spoke with on the phone, as well as two other individuals that worked there. All three were one on one interviews. What I did find a bit peculiar about the whole interview process is that going in and leaving, I was not sure exactly what position I was interviewing for. I asked, but couldn't get a definite description. So I assume that it was for the position called "generalist".

Generalist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr.

Interview

I sent in my resume with a cover letter via email and hear from someone in HR within the week. I emailed inquiring about open positions so I was unsure of what to expect in the initial phone interview. Interview was straightforward, gauging interest and going over past experience, etc. However, the jobs available were not what I was hoping for, as I was looking for either management training or more of a business operations type position, but she was looking to fill warehouse roles. Followed up within a week to schedule second interview.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable working on your feet all day?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (New York, NY).

Interview

Pretty standard interview process. Initial contact may take the form of text, email or other message. It's nice that the recruiters are internal as opposed to third party head hunters.

Interview process is fairly standard if not more relaxed than normal. You meet several people, 5 or so, and it takes maybe half a day. Your first peak into the McMaster-Carr culture is your interaction with people over the phone and the way they accommodate your visit. They're extremely flexible, but you sort of get the idea that there might not be standards / guidelines for everything. This is both a good and a bad thing. It's honest and straight forward but not quite as concrete as other interviews you may have done.

A more detailed tour, targeted questions, and longer interview process may have helped improve the interview process. Most companies of this caliber have a larger interview gauntlet and it can be difficult to determine if this is a good fit based on half a day's interview.

Seeing, talking, and hearing from actual employees really helps cut past some of the ridiculous (although funny) reviews here on glassdoor. I appreciated the transparency and straightforward answers to my questions.

Interview Questions

• mostly conversational, tell me about a time you received feedback, how would you organize our catalog?   Answer Question

Generalist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr in February 2011.

Interview

Process began with a recruiter interviewing me over the phone. Invited me in for an in-person interview. On site interview process consisted of four 1:1 interviews, 3 seperate skills tests, and sitting in with a sales employee. The entire process took about 3 hours.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for McMaster-Carr?   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you taught yourself to do something or learn something new.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not try to negotiate. They offered me a salary that was extremely reasonable based on my background and experience. Plus the benefit package adds much weight to the offer.

Generalist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr in April 2011.

Interview

An HR representative contacted me, stating that she found my resume online and would like to speak with me about some type of marketing opportunity. The information seemed kind of vague, but I scheduled a time for a phone interview with her. When I asked about next steps, she told me she would like to bring me in to interview in-person.

When I was there, the job was explained to me more thoroughly; it's inside sales (people call in and you fill out sales orders, trying to up-sell and answer questions). I had three one-on-one interviews with various managers, nothing too crazy. About a week later, I was called and McMaster-Carr wanted to extend me an offer. The caveat was that it wasn't the job I originally applied for, but a similar entry-level role that didn't seem particularly challenging or exciting.

Interview Questions

• When did you have to juggle multiple tasks with little time to complete them, and how did you accomplish anything?   Answer Question

Declining the offer wasn't a very easy decision. I saw some positives: the pay is pretty good, the benefits are great, the company culture doesn't seem too bad, and the tuition reimbursement looks absolutely amazing. However, I think the job itself seemed incredibly mundane and boring. I really don't think I could have done it day in, day out without going a little bit insane. Additionally, I didn't see much room for growth, so it's not like I could do an entry-level gofer job for a year or so and then do my dream job once I've paid my dues.