McMaster-Carr Management Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McMaster-Carr Management Interview Questions

Interviews at McMaster-Carr

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elmhurst, IL

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Elmhurst, IL).

Interview

Contacted by HR to schedule a phone appointment to discuss the company in order to find out if I was interested in moving forward to a phone interview. Phone interview was approximately 30 minutes. The communications were all very quick - all my questions and e-mails were responded to within 2 days. Then an in-person interview was scheduled.

Interview Questions

Not a good match for work culture.

Other Interview Reviews for McMaster-Carr

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Contacted via phone after posting my resume online. Had two very brief and easy phone interviews before being invited to the LA location. Wasn't sure what to expect, and the reviews here on Glassdoor scared me a bit. They flew me out to LA and put me up in Manhattan Beach (which is a smart move on their part since Manhattan is one of the nicest places in LA and a far cry from their Santa Fe Springs location), sent a driver to get me, and took me to the building/warehouse/call center.

I was not expecting much, but in the end I was sincerely impressed with their operation. The company has been around for over a hundred years and is family owned. (It seems that they pay well for all positions, but that in return they truly expect you to tow the company line.)

Anyway, back to the interview. First off there was a brief tour of the facility with a manager, followed by several 45 minute interviews, including a lunch interview. Overall, nothing was too difficult, they just really want to see how you think and if you'll be a good fit for their culture and share a similar work philosophy.

Interview Questions

• How would you re-arrange a certain section of our catalog? (i.e., wrenches, heaters, etc).   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

After a short phone interview, they flew me out to the LA office to interview. There were five interviews with various levels of seniority including a lunch and one with two executives. They didn't ask any trick questions, but they asked about specific improvements to their business which I was not intimately familiar with.

Interview Questions

• With a copy of their catalog on the table, they asked what I would change about it.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Atlanta, GA) in November 2015.

Interview

Phone Interview and On-site Interview. For on-site, I was walked through the distribution center and asked how I might run things or solve certain problems. After my thoughts, the interviewer would tell me the way things are currently done. Then I had 4 sit down interviews.

Interview Questions

• What might a company like ours need to look out for in the future?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

McMaster-Carr was participating in a job fair in NYC. I applied online and was pre-selected for an initial interview. I interviewed in person with 2 people, and was asked mainly behavioral questions, and to describe certain parts of my resume in further detail. I was told that the next step in the process would be a second interview and that in the following two weeks I would receive an email informing me of their decision.

Management Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr in September 2015.

Interview

A referral lead to a phone interview conducted on two separate calls. Initially, the interviewer asked whether I had questions which threw me off as normally you talk a bit about yourself first. After asking questions you then go through your resume and explain it in depth. Upon completing the interview you hear within a week or two whether you will be continuing on to the on site interview.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Atlanta, GA) in April 2014.

Interview

I had a phone interview after applying. A few hours after the interview I was invited to Atlanta to interview. In Atlanta I had 4 interviews plus a lunch. Most interviewers were young. One or two were more senior. Questions were very basic interview questions looking at fit. One part of the interview involved a tour of a warehouse where the interviewer asked about what improvements I would make.

Management Interview

Interview

The interview process is definitely unique - which reflects the program. The firm is extremely secretive, so many of my questions actually went unanswered, which was a bit frustrating. I would say that the in-person interview reflects most consulting firm interviews so that's the best way to prepare.

There is a pre-screen with a recruiter followed by a full day onsite which is exhaustive, including a lunch interview. It is surrounded by three other 1-1.5 hour interviews. They are extremely prompt. I was overall impressed with their recruiting operations.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (San Diego, CA) in August 2018.

Interview

As a transitioning veteran the company's HR department reached out to me and set up a phone conversation. We talked for about 20 minutes and it was mainly the company selling themselves. I have a sit down interview with them in a few days.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2019.

Interview

15 minute phone call with a recruiter; then was flown to the site for a day of onsite interviews and facility tour. The warehouse and flow of products in and out was interesting to see first-hand. Called about a week after the visit with a decision