McMaster-Carr Management Trainee Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 22, 2017

2.8

129 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

It's as everyone describes below. A day long affair from one interviewer to the next. They reached out to me, got the phone interview that same day, and was offered an in-person the following week. I had a fun time. The staff was extremely friendly and the interviewers were very enjoyable to talk to. They really want to get to know you and how your brain works so they ask you thought provoking questions meant to see your thought processes. They offer a very competitive salary and benefits, so they obviously want somebody who is capable of handling and thinking through challenging issues and tasks.

Interview Questions

• Why do we use different shipping companies to send out our products? Why not just use one?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McMaster-Carr

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

One phone call. Then an on site interview with 3 different managers and a tour of the facility. Pretty standard behavioral questions were asked. They appreciate inquisitive people and wanted to see how I thought and approached problems. Offered a bunch of new ideas.

Interview Questions

• Q: What's the biggest thing from finance you learned?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (New York, NY).

Interview

I got an email from a recruiter wanting to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was about 20 minutes. I was really looking for more clarity about what the role was and what they were looking for in their management trainees, but I didn't get much information. The interview was quite difficult because I was having a hard time anticipating qualifications to speak on that they would actually care about because I didn't really know what the position was.

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr in January 2017.

Interview

The first interview was a phone screen. Very nice lady and she asked me basic questions like why I want to work at Mcmaster-Carr, what experiences do I have with management. They are going to fly me out to Los Angeles next week for the next part of the interview. I hear that it is a very strange process and feels nothing like a traditional interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Atlanta, GA) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview lasted from about 9:00 am-2:00 pm. McMaster covered hotel, transportation, and incidentals. Basically you go on a walking tour of the facility and answer questions about why they do things a certain way. Then, you talk to various management employees, go to lunch, and meet with HR. They ask about your work experiences--what were your favorites, what did you do, etc. They ask about what you're looking for in a job.

You meet management employees at all levels of the totem pole to get a sense for how the company works... But you still don't quite understand how the company works. It's basically a giant hardware distributor, and as a management trainee you would rotate through various departments of the facility.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Durham, NC) in December 2016.

Interview

I received an email requesting a phone interview, which stated that my resume was found in a college database. There was a brief phone conversation to schedule the interview, which occurred by phone the following week. The company overall seemed very shady.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Cleveland, OH) in October 2016.

Interview

The process began when I received a message on Linkedin from a McMaster-Carr recruiter. We scheduled a time for a phone interview, the interview lasted approximately 30-45 minutes. The questions were all pretty much behavioral as well as walking the recruiter through my resume. I enjoyed my conversation with the recruiter, she was very personable and interesting and I appreciated the opportunity to learn more about a company that I previously knew very little about.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Cleveland, OH) in April 2016.

Interview

I had a brief phone screening where I walked the recruiter through my resume. This was all very easy and she asked clarifying questions as she needed them. Two weeks later, they flew me to their office for an in-person interview. The first part was a tour of the warehouse where I was asked to answer questions about their process and why I thought it worked the way it did. Then I had two traditional style interviews that consisted of a basic explanation of my resume followed by behavioral/STAR questions. Finally, I had an informal lunch interview with two employees. The process lasted about 4 hours total. Two weeks later, they let me know that they would not be extending me an offer, but that they were willing to schedule a followup call to give me feedback. They told me I should have been more detailed in my responses to STAR questions about my motivations for making certain decisions. (They said that they place a higher value on detail than most companies.) However, they were impressed at the number and type of questions I had for them, and emphasized this as a positive point during my interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Cleveland, OH) in April 2016.

Interview

Was invited to an interview at a job fair before attending. Did the interview, and several days later was invited to interview further over the phone. After this, attended an interview in person in the Cleveland area. I was first toured around the entire building being asked questions about how I thought a process worked, or why belts went a certain way, etc. All technical and process based, I was warned I did not have to get the questions correct, just show how I thought out the issues. I got most correct including one at the end I was told none of the tens of other interviewees he's had have answered correctly. I seriously enjoyed this portion, I learned a lot and got to show how I thought under pressure. He told me I crushed this portion.

I then had a series of four more interviews with managers and executives. I had a lunch break in between in the cafeteria with two manager trainees who casually interviewed me and told me about the local area. All four interviews were fairly standard with the lead executive of the distribution center spending 15 minutes talking about how great my current job sounded and the aircraft I flew. All four told me I did well, I felt comfortable and answered quickly the entire time. At the end, I was told I did extremely well and to expect to hear word soon.

I know my review will be discounted because I marked it negative and did not get an offer, but here's how it went. After having this great experience receiving positive feedback, I heard no word for three weeks and an email to the HR contact. I called her where she proceeded to awkwardly shuffle through paperwork in the background, then tell me she didn't have an offer for me. She offered to call back with feedback, but never did after multiple attempts to hear back. I ultimately gave up trying to hear back after receiving such great feedback on site.

Interview Questions

• How would you use a lesson from your college major's courses to improve our distribution process?   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

Interview

Interviewed in February. First, got a quick HR 5 min call to set up a time to phone "interview." HR phone call screening next.....quick 15-20 minutes and didn't ask many questions. Very secretive. Zero feedback. Good luck...