McMaster-Carr Management Trainee Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McMaster-Carr Management Trainee Interview Questions

Interviews at McMaster-Carr

2.8

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr.

Interview

Applied online, and was instantly contacted back for an interview. Spoke to a recruiter who then set me up with a first round phone screen. Did not advance after this.

My advice to all potential applicants is that they are looking for a certain type of mold--ex Investment Banking or ex-Consulting. If you aren't on either one of these paths, make sure you have a very structured explanation as to why you rejected both those careers to pursue the one you are currently in.

I made the mistake of explaining that I picked my job after college because I had an offer early and it was a great position. Truthfully, I did not bother going through the consulting/banking rat race. Apparently that is not "elitist" enough. You're better off saying you had offers at a consultancy or bank but than picked to work at whatever company you chose to work at.

My resume had plenty of finance experience, and they pitch their website as looking for creative thinkers and non-traditional paths. Don't believe the window dressing!

As far as the interviewer goes, she was very boring and mechanical. It was like speaking to a robot. A check on LinkedIn shows that she attended my university for a masters degree, but she didn't even bother to mention ANYTHING about that in our conversation. Bizarre...majority of alumni tend to want to connect with you during the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Why didn't you pursue Consulting or Banking after college?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for McMaster-Carr

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Atlanta, GA) in August 2013.

Interview

Was reached out to via LinkedIn by a McMaster-Carr recruiter. She told me a little about the program and asked me to complete a phone screen. I hoped to have a bit of time to research the company (since they are private and I didn't know much about them), but she asked me to do it ASAP. Turned out to be fine, 20 minute resume review, and then I learned the next day that I was invited to final rounds. I went to final round interviews the following week, and they lasted approximately 5-6 hours. It started with a warehouse tour, where most of the time was spent conversing, and me asking questions of the person giving the tour, and then followed by an additional 4-5 interviews, sandwiched around a lunch with two folks in the program. It seems like an environment where you may not have as much control of your career as other places - management decides when you are ready to rotate to another role and you have minimal to no involvement in this process. From what I saw, a lot of young folks work there, and I was told the hours were reasonable. The whole rushed interview process and challenge around finding company information was a little strange, but OK I suppose. I had a very tight timeline which I informed the company about from the start, and they told me they would be able to accommodate the timeline. They did not accommodate my timeline, and in fact, I got an email from my first interviewer the day after my deadline saying I'd hear later that day, and then didn't. That didn't make me feel good at all. Needless to say, when I got the form letter rejection email, I didn't get all that upset.

Interview Questions

• Standard behavioral interview for the most part, a lot of learning on the fly based on what people tell you they do and the warehouse tour. I was asked about my thoughts on the organization of the warehouse.   1 Answer

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr.

Interview

Recruiter called to discuss the job and set up a subsequent interview. That interview was a purely resume-based with one almost case-like question. "McM decided to not have supplier's names placed in the catalog beside the products. Why do you think we decided to do that?" The answer they were looking or is that if they ran out and had to substitute a different supplier's product, it may cause confusion amongst the customer. Although I was qualified and provided multiple thoughtful answers, I wasn't invited for a second round.

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr.

Interview

Sent in my resume through career services. Contacted a few days later by email for a phone interview. They ask you every part about your resume, including your major. They HR person asked one technical questions and I was told I got it right. Less than a week later I got an email saying they moved on in the process.

Interview Questions

• Why does McMaster-Carr not go into detail about it manufacturers in its catalog, when it goes into so much detail about the product?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Atlanta, GA) in October 2013.

Interview

I applied through my school's career center. A few weeks later, I had a 30 minute campus interview with a really nice interviewer. The interview was 100% behavioral and learning about the company and program. They said they were planning to hire 20-30 people. Then, a couple of days later, I was invited to an office interview to be held about 2 weeks later. The trip to the office was very nice and everything went smoothly. The day of the interview consisted of a tour of the warehouse with a current trainee, while he asked a lot of questions about what I thought was going on, and then three more interviews with former trainees from different departments, lunch with two former trainees, another interview, and then an interview with a recruiter. A lot of people seemed to be former TFA. The interviews seemed to be all behavioral, but they mostly wanted to hear about my management experience and how I would motivate people. I'm not really sure what they are looking for, but several wanted to know about my observations from the factory. As others have mentioned, no idea what they really want to hear there. Overall, the questions were all easy, but obviously I didn't say what they wanted to hear. There weren't any case questions, except in the tour. It was truly a long day, starting at 8am, and I didn't stop talking until 2pm. Finally, they said they would get back to me within a week. I didn't hear back after two weeks, but then I finally got a letter in the mail (!) dated 3 days after my interview saying I didn't get it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Princeton, NJ) in October 2013.

Interview

I applied through my school's career website. I participated in an on campus interview about three weeks after applying. It was a quick 30 minute interviewer with a recruiter. They got back to me in a week to let me know that I did not get a second round interview. The interview was mostly behavioral with some questions about what the company does and their production process.

Interview Questions

• McMaster-Carr does not list product brand names on the website. Why do you think this is?   1 Answer

Management Trainee Interview

Interview

I first met with an on-campus recruiter for a quick, half hour interview. I was then contacted for an on-site, 6 hour super day, where I was given a tour and then interviewed with 4 different people (including a lunch interview), who primarily asked fit questions. I was contacted in one week with an offer.

Interview Questions

• They asked a mini case interview question at the end of the day, which was to explain (in great detail) how I would go about designing the McMaster-Carr catalog.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Atlanta, GA) in February 2013.

Interview

There were three phases overall to the interview process. I had one first round at my university and was then contacted for a second round by the local hr rep again at my university. The third round took place at the branch I requested to be employed at and was a day long event.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle an employee that is required to move to another department but feels his/her strengths are stronger in their current department   1 Answer

Management Trainee Interview

Interview

Received a call from a recruiter at HQ, asked for a quick walk through of my resume. Then she called me back to schedule my interview in Atlanta. I wasn't really looking for a new job, but the pay and benefits sounded good so I gave it a shot.

It was a long day of interviews with various people. Many of them had been in the trainee program themselves, all nice and enthusiastic. However, I really could tell that most of them were full of themselves -- which I think is reflected in the other reviews as well. Interview questions were typical behavioral questions. It was a pretty easy interview, but a long day.

I don't think any of the people had an engineering degree; I expected that but, again, was just seeing how it played out. After the interviews, I wasn't really interested -- just seemed like too much of a step down from my current role as an engineer.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to explain what each of my last two employers could learn from each other. It was a strange question, considering the two companies were two completely different industries.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elmhurst, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Elmhurst, IL).

Interview

I was contacted out of the blue by a company representative. We began an interview with nearly no preparation, which lasted around 30 minutes. It was comprised of a resume survey and a few behavioral questions. After about a week, I was invited to interview at their Chicago facility. The day started with a tour of the facility, with occasional questions about what I observed. There were four other interviews, most of which were rather low-key. I appreciated the experience.

Interview Questions

• Why can we have an unconditional return policy?   1 Answer