McMaster-Carr Management Trainee Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McMaster-Carr Management Trainee Interview Questions

Interviews at McMaster-Carr

2.8

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr.

Interview

Applied online, and was instantly contacted back for an interview. Spoke to a recruiter who then set me up with a first round phone screen. Did not advance after this.

My advice to all potential applicants is that they are looking for a certain type of mold--ex Investment Banking or ex-Consulting. If you aren't on either one of these paths, make sure you have a very structured explanation as to why you rejected both those careers to pursue the one you are currently in.

I made the mistake of explaining that I picked my job after college because I had an offer early and it was a great position. Truthfully, I did not bother going through the consulting/banking rat race. Apparently that is not "elitist" enough. You're better off saying you had offers at a consultancy or bank but than picked to work at whatever company you chose to work at.

My resume had plenty of finance experience, and they pitch their website as looking for creative thinkers and non-traditional paths. Don't believe the window dressing!

As far as the interviewer goes, she was very boring and mechanical. It was like speaking to a robot. A check on LinkedIn shows that she attended my university for a masters degree, but she didn't even bother to mention ANYTHING about that in our conversation. Bizarre...majority of alumni tend to want to connect with you during the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Why didn't you pursue Consulting or Banking after college?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for McMaster-Carr

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Robbinsville, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Robbinsville, NJ) in July 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by HR (they were not from the office in which I was interviewing) and they gave me the run down on the interview schedule. First phone interview which was very basic. They brought me into the facility (in the middle of nowhere NJ--not Princeton) and I took a tour, had a few one-on-one interviews and met more people from the company. During the tour you are introduced to each aspect of the facility; most job functions and departments. Then you head into the actual warehouse where you are being told about operations, and are questioned throughout the process. This part was pretty cool, and fun compared to the boring one-on-ones. To me it seemed like the people were great...they appeared happy and honestly I think it's because they're getting paid well.

Interview Questions

• Find a product in the book and take me through how a similar but different product would end up in here. What steps would you take and why?   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

Interview

As others have stated, the interview process is as follows:

-Initial contact (generally made by their recruiter) and 15-20 minute interview
    -Invitation to visit one of their facilities.
    -Interview and tour of the facility. Be prepared to think critically and answer (and ask) questions regarding what you observe.
    -Two interviews with employees of various levels of experience with the company.
    -Interview in a lunch setting.
    -Final interview.
    -Offer or rejection, generally within a week of visit.

Interview Questions

• The questions were not overly difficult. That said, you should be prepared to answer standard behavioral style questions.   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr.

Interview

I was contacted via phone after a recruiter saw my resume on Monster.com. After the initial call, there was a 30-min. phone interview followed by an invitation to fly out and interview at the branch. The branch interview consisted of three separate interviews with employees at various levels of the company.

Interview Questions

• Imagine McMaster-Carr receives a $20,000 order from a single company. Based on your knowledge of our organization, is that an order we would accept?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Atlanta, GA) in August 2013.

Interview

Was reached out to via LinkedIn by a McMaster-Carr recruiter. She told me a little about the program and asked me to complete a phone screen. I hoped to have a bit of time to research the company (since they are private and I didn't know much about them), but she asked me to do it ASAP. Turned out to be fine, 20 minute resume review, and then I learned the next day that I was invited to final rounds. I went to final round interviews the following week, and they lasted approximately 5-6 hours. It started with a warehouse tour, where most of the time was spent conversing, and me asking questions of the person giving the tour, and then followed by an additional 4-5 interviews, sandwiched around a lunch with two folks in the program. It seems like an environment where you may not have as much control of your career as other places - management decides when you are ready to rotate to another role and you have minimal to no involvement in this process. From what I saw, a lot of young folks work there, and I was told the hours were reasonable. The whole rushed interview process and challenge around finding company information was a little strange, but OK I suppose. I had a very tight timeline which I informed the company about from the start, and they told me they would be able to accommodate the timeline. They did not accommodate my timeline, and in fact, I got an email from my first interviewer the day after my deadline saying I'd hear later that day, and then didn't. That didn't make me feel good at all. Needless to say, when I got the form letter rejection email, I didn't get all that upset.

Interview Questions

• Standard behavioral interview for the most part, a lot of learning on the fly based on what people tell you they do and the warehouse tour. I was asked about my thoughts on the organization of the warehouse.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Robbinsville, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Robbinsville, NJ) in June 2013.

Interview

The process entails an hour long phone interview. The primary focus of the phone interview is to review your resume in detail - includes discussion of educational and professional experience, explanation of the management development program, and questions for the recruiter. A day later, the recruiter called to schedule an on-site interview. I was interviewed at the NJ warehouse by two young managers and a director. The first interview consist of a tour of the facility, was asked questions throughout the tour such as why do we do something a certain way and how can you improve that process. Later, another interview in a small room. Very simple questions regarding my experience, career expectations, and explain the company's core customer. Lastly, a third interview by a director. He asked general questions regarding my role at my current employer, and why the company made a specific operational decision versus what a competitor is doing. I cannot say anything but position things regarding my experience despite not receiving an offer. It wasn't a difficult process as a recruiter approached me after finding my resume online. I would advice to ask lots of questions, relax, pay close attention to details as you will be asked to explain or improve a process. I was very surprised I was not given an offer, seems like an extraordinary place to work with talented individuals from top schools. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Explain why McMaster Carr would advice customers buying single products in large quantity to go elsewhere?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Princeton, NJ) in June 2013.

Interview

Applied online. Received an email two days later to set up an interview the next week. Received a $100 check for train transportation and car service to the main facility, which was nice.

Interview consisted of a tour hosted by two young 2nd year management trainees, who asked simple questions regarding my observations on the tour. Very nice people. 2nd interview was with a grumpy but obviously intelligent older gentleman, who asked me a few questions about my resume and proceeded with technical questions regarding what I learned on the tour and my knowledge of general ops. 3rd interview was with the finance director. Nice guy, just checked up on how I felt about the place so far. Last interview was with the HR recruiter who just informed me of general things like salary, hours, etc.

Their follow up was poor. I called and emailed them twice after they had failed to respond to me by the deadlines they set. Got an email almost a month later informing me that they were moving on to different candidates.

Interview Questions

• If we were to introduce a new kind of bicycle into our catalog, what should we consider? How many should we have in stock?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Aurora, OH) in May 2012.

Interview

After reading all of the reviews of this place on Glassdoor, I went into my interview a little skeptical that it could really be that bad. However, within 10 minutes of my first interview, I found myself regretting my 4 hour drive there, and immediately wanted to cancel the rest of my interviews. However, I wanted my gas reimbursed, so I stuck around. This place is unreal. The main person in charge of my interviews was about a year out of college, and was an incredible. She gave me a tour of the place and made sure to tell me which elite college each of her manager colleagues was from and talked to me as if I were one of their elite crowd just because I went to a good school, while the normal employees (all much older than the managers who were in their 20s) were worthless peons. The cubicles were all below head height so the managers could watch their employees, and the employees had to raise a red flag if they needed a manager to stop by their cubicle. She continued the tour by bringing me into the warehouse and repeatedly asked me "what do you notice??" while I tried to list off as many observations as possible as if I were Sherlock Holmes or something. I never figured out what magic observation I was supposed to make, as she was obviously unimpressed. The rest of the interviewers were horrible as well. One guy asked me to value the painting behind him.

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr.

Interview

Rather quixotic interview process. At first it was very accommodating; they found my résumé on Monster.com and reached out via a phone interview, then offered to bring me to their Aurora, OH facility for a series of interviews. They paid for my flight, hotel and rental car, and were generally extremely nice and helpful.

The interviews themselves were exhaustive. I got a tour of the facility, spoke with several former or current management trainees, and a couple of people in midlevel management. I got the sense that they were trying to get a read on my personality more than they were trying to get answers to specific questions. The first sit-down interview focused on my senior thesis and went off into long digressions, with more of the atmosphere of an intellectual conversation, for example. Other interviews focused on management techniques or my previous jobs. Almost all of the interviewers seemed to be intelligent and good at their jobs. I left feeling satisfied that, whether I got the job or not, I'd taken a lot of notes and done my best.

Here's where it gets sketchy. They said they'd contact me within two weeks. My interview was on a Friday, and on the following Tuesday, they sent out a form letter saying that my skills were not a match for the position (well, if they weren't, why did you bring me in for an interview at all?). I didn't get that letter, through no fault of McMaster-Carr's, for about three weeks. However, when I contacted the hiring manager at the end of the two-week period to inquire about whether a decision had been made, she told me that it had yet to be made and that I should wait another week! Needless to say, when I got the letter and realized that the hiring manager had at best purposely misled me, I was not pleased. The same person who had called me in the first place sent the letter and answered my emails, so it's hard to credit a communications breakdown for what happened.

Upshot: great facility, smart people, inconsiderate hiring practices.

Interview Questions

• We got into a philosophical discussion about the role of technology in social interaction in my first interview, which I did not see coming.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Robinsville, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Robinsville, NJ).

Interview

Basic HR phone interview for starters. Went over the basics, why us, name a time when you had a conflict, what are your career goals. Where do you see yourself in 5, 10, 20, years etc. Basically what you would expect from an HR phone interview.