McMaster-Carr Management Trainee Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McMaster-Carr Management Trainee Interview Questions

Updated Jan 31, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (New York, NY).

Interview

I got an email from a recruiter wanting to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was about 20 minutes. I was really looking for more clarity about what the role was and what they were looking for in their management trainees, but I didn't get much information. The interview was quite difficult because I was having a hard time anticipating qualifications to speak on that they would actually care about because I didn't really know what the position was.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for McMaster-Carr

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr in January 2017.

Interview

The first interview was a phone screen. Very nice lady and she asked me basic questions like why I want to work at Mcmaster-Carr, what experiences do I have with management. They are going to fly me out to Los Angeles next week for the next part of the interview. I hear that it is a very strange process and feels nothing like a traditional interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Cleveland, OH) in October 2016.

Interview

The process began when I received a message on Linkedin from a McMaster-Carr recruiter. We scheduled a time for a phone interview, the interview lasted approximately 30-45 minutes. The questions were all pretty much behavioral as well as walking the recruiter through my resume. I enjoyed my conversation with the recruiter, she was very personable and interesting and I appreciated the opportunity to learn more about a company that I previously knew very little about.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Cleveland, OH) in April 2016.

Interview

I had a brief phone screening where I walked the recruiter through my resume. This was all very easy and she asked clarifying questions as she needed them. Two weeks later, they flew me to their office for an in-person interview. The first part was a tour of the warehouse where I was asked to answer questions about their process and why I thought it worked the way it did. Then I had two traditional style interviews that consisted of a basic explanation of my resume followed by behavioral/STAR questions. Finally, I had an informal lunch interview with two employees. The process lasted about 4 hours total. Two weeks later, they let me know that they would not be extending me an offer, but that they were willing to schedule a followup call to give me feedback. They told me I should have been more detailed in my responses to STAR questions about my motivations for making certain decisions. (They said that they place a higher value on detail than most companies.) However, they were impressed at the number and type of questions I had for them, and emphasized this as a positive point during my interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Cleveland, OH) in April 2016.

Interview

Was invited to an interview at a job fair before attending. Did the interview, and several days later was invited to interview further over the phone. After this, attended an interview in person in the Cleveland area. I was first toured around the entire building being asked questions about how I thought a process worked, or why belts went a certain way, etc. All technical and process based, I was warned I did not have to get the questions correct, just show how I thought out the issues. I got most correct including one at the end I was told none of the tens of other interviewees he's had have answered correctly. I seriously enjoyed this portion, I learned a lot and got to show how I thought under pressure. He told me I crushed this portion.

I then had a series of four more interviews with managers and executives. I had a lunch break in between in the cafeteria with two manager trainees who casually interviewed me and told me about the local area. All four interviews were fairly standard with the lead executive of the distribution center spending 15 minutes talking about how great my current job sounded and the aircraft I flew. All four told me I did well, I felt comfortable and answered quickly the entire time. At the end, I was told I did extremely well and to expect to hear word soon.

I know my review will be discounted because I marked it negative and did not get an offer, but here's how it went. After having this great experience receiving positive feedback, I heard no word for three weeks and an email to the HR contact. I called her where she proceeded to awkwardly shuffle through paperwork in the background, then tell me she didn't have an offer for me. She offered to call back with feedback, but never did after multiple attempts to hear back. I ultimately gave up trying to hear back after receiving such great feedback on site.

Interview Questions

• How would you use a lesson from your college major's courses to improve our distribution process?   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

Interview

Interviewed in February. First, got a quick HR 5 min call to set up a time to phone "interview." HR phone call screening next.....quick 15-20 minutes and didn't ask many questions. Very secretive. Zero feedback. Good luck...

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr.

Interview

I've just had a phone interview so far, but in person coming soon. It was straightforward though, and not that difficult. It was a behavioral thing, and she asked about almost everything on my resume.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose your school. What challenges have you faced there. How did you deal with them.   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr.

Interview

The overall process was extremely streamlined and very communicative. The recruiter reached out to me via email (found my contact info on LinkedIn) and we coordinated an initial phone screening within the next couple days. That same week I was offered a flight out to interview at the company.

The actual interview consisted of a tour of the company (office spaces and warehouse) as well as three additional interviews with managers of differing experience levels--one before lunch, one during lunch, and one after lunch. The first interview was fun and relatively light-hearted. I think they were trying to get more of a sense of who I am and what my experiences had been. The lunch interview asked more work-related questions probing at specific leadership and problem-solving experiences. The final interview grilled me analytically (this last one definitely made me question my overall performance).

Everyone at the company seemed really happy and the interviewers were mostly really pleasant to interact with. Following the interview, my recruiter kept in very close touch and detailed every step forward.

Overall a very smooth process.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you saw a problem before it developed, and describe how you solved the problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I was contacted via email by a recruiter from McMaster-Carr who said they saw my profile on my campuses career search platform. I engaged in an informational interview, during which the recruiter asked me if I wanted to go ahead with a brief behavioral interview. I said I sure and she essentially asked me to talk through my resume. Within a week I was contacted again by the recruiter saying McMaster-Carr would like me to go to one of their offices for a superday consisting of a tour and multiple interviews. I chose to travel to their LA office. McMaster-Carr paid for my flight and provided a stipend to cover any additional incurred costs. I flew out to LA the night before the superday. The superday consisted of a walking tour of the facility, meeting with different departments (marketing and the call center), three one hour interviews and a lunch interview. The interviews were all behavioral with an emphasis on how I would fit with McMaster-Carr. Definitely get to know the company and its unique business model beforehand. The interviewers were all very nice and genuinely seemed to enjoy their jobs. As many of the other comments mention, it is very hard to decipher what exactly they are looking for in a candidate. I thought my interviews all went well.

Interview Questions

• Why don't we brand the manufacturer on our parts in our catalog.   1 Answer

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr in September 2015.

Interview

Emailed me based on my Indeed resume. Called once to talk about the company, a second time to interview. The interviewer was very nice. In the end they declined to go on to the next round of interviews. The interview mostly went over my resume. Asked questions like, "Why did you pick that school" and "What were some achievements you had during your time teaching." They seemed to be looking for evidence of benchmark-oriented work in my teaching, which I was unable to give given the nature of the teaching I had been doing previously.

Interview Questions

• Give some examples of goals achieved during your teaching jobs.   Answer Question