McMaster-Carr Management Trainee Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McMaster-Carr Management Trainee Interview Questions

Interviews at McMaster-Carr

2.8

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr in February 2014.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter after they saw my resume on LinkedIn. Had a 15 minute phone interview and was told they'd get back to me in a few weeks. Sent a follow up email after about 3 weeks and was told they were having some holdups on their end. Never heard from them again. Wasn't very interested in the position, just was looking for interview practice, but it was a bit rude they never followed up especially since they reached out to me first. Not even a form rejection letter.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for McMaster-Carr

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I applied online through my career services website. They gave me a call a few weeks later.

1st round phone interview: very basic behavioral questions -- Tell me about yourself. Tell me about your summer internship -- what did you do there? Why are you interested in this position? Got a call back a few days later to visit the Chicago office.

2nd round in Chicago office: Very positive experience. They first gave me a tour and asked me random questions to test my thinking throughout the tour at different stops of the department. Some questions I remember:
    Systems Department: "We make our own in-house software. What do you think are the pros and cons?"
    Customer Service Department: "Why do you think we have 5 call centers?"
    Warehouse: "How do you think we keep track of everything in the warehouse given that there are so many items?"

I then had 3 interviews, 2 with current managers and one with HR. Questions ranged from behavioral ones such as "Why did you choose your college?" to ones about the company such as "Why do you think it is important that we answer the phone in less than 3 rings?" and "Who do you think are our biggest clients?"

Interview Questions

• Why do you think we have so many call centers?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elmhurst, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Elmhurst, IL).

Interview

First, I was contacted via phone from a recruiter who found my resume online. We had a 30 minute talk about my experiences and the opportunities at McMaster Carr. The next day, I was told that I was invited to an on-site interview the following week. The in-person interview was fairly simple: I met with 2 newer managers (both around 2 years) and 3 experienced managers (6-25 years). I received a 2 hour tour (approximately) of the factory, had 3 formal interviews, and had a lunch interview. The questions were extremely frustrating and, in my opinion, a poor way to judge potential managers. They asked multiple questions that are difficult to answer without knowledge of the company or product (Which they even claim they hide as much as possible. This company likes being "a secret' of sorts.) Certain questions relied on previous knowledge of the industry, of their clients, and of their products, leading to quite a negative experience. They didn't ask me a question I could potentially answer intellectually with the knowledge I was given. During my conversations with the two younger managers, I received more honest information about what my experience would be like if I accepted an offer there - and there were some pieces of information which would influence me to NOT accept a position. First, one manager mentioned that a lot of people will leave McMaster Carr because they want to "change the world." According to him, managers here will not have the opportunity to be creative or innovative. "This is a 100-year old company that has been extremely successful with the methods they already use. We are not looking to change our practices." Personally, I have no desire to be a working bee with no opportunities to influence the work that I am doing, but this manager was extremely satisfied with his position. It's definitely a matter of preference. The second is that the workers here (excluding managers - i.e. factory workers, salespersons, etc) seem to be unsatisfied working here. Oftentimes this is because McMaster Carr will hire inexperienced managers that are poorly trained and therefore provide very negative work experiences to their colleagues. The third is that a large percentage of the managers see this position as a stepping stone to getting into business school, but do not see it as a good-enough position to stay once they have this degree. He mentioned that there is high turnover and low morale for the company. In the end, I want to work for a company that provides opportunities for growth and where people are happy to work there.

Interview Questions

• There were a lot of questions about their current practices, and the pros/cons of them. There were also questions about their products and how their warehouse is arranged (both with people and products).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paterson, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Paterson, NJ) in April 2012.

Interview

Applied through college career center by submitting a resume. Was invited to an on campus interview with an alum. He asked me to discuss my resume and some interesting (to me, anyway) research I had done. Talked a little about the business and how it functions. Asked me about leadership roles and times I had managed other people (which you would be doing in the job). Invited to on-site interview where I had 4 interviews, one of which included a tour of the warehouse during which they would do things like show me how the place operates and ask "why do we do it this way?". The interviews were about my resume, jobs I had had, research I had done, leadership, management, working with others- similar to the first interview, but I think they were trying evaluate my personality more in the on-site interviews. They also asked me if I had questions about the place and how it worked- so keep your eyes open during the tour. I think they're trying to gauge your ability to think on your toes, demonstrate that you're a generally interestED person, that you work well with other people, and that you can grasp how the company works. Be confident and friendly.

Interview Questions

• If you were to send our catalog to two people at a company, who would it be?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elmhurst, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Elmhurst, IL) in November 2012.

Interview

I had an on-campus interview, which was relatively relaxed. The interviewer told me a lot about the company (since it is privately owned and not much info is available). After that they flew me out to Chicago for a superday consisting of 5 interviews in Elmhurst, IL. The interviews were not very hard, and everyone was incredibly nice. There were many people working there who used to do finance.

Interview Questions

• Who should we ask about which new products should be included in our catalog?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Aurora, OH) in February 2013.

Interview

I was first contacted by the corporate recruiter who conducted a phone interview and then invited me to interview at one of the 5 branch locations of my choice.

At the facility, the process consisted of 5 1-on-1 interviews and a lunch which all took place in the same room by the lobby. Most of the questions were interview walk-throughs and the rest seemed to be more to get to know your personality. For the most part, the questions were very simple. Since this was a leadership position, I was surprised to not have received more questions regarding teamwork, leadership, conflict management...etc ie all the things I had prepared for. I did not get the impression that leadership development was a very strong focal point for them. When I asked about mentorship/development opportunities, they did not have much to say about it. In fact, I seemed to get a bit of a defensive impression from them, as if they were implying that I was asking to have my hand held rather than just wanting solid development and training.

Some of the folks that interviewed me were pretty friendly, while others seemed low energy and not very personable. In fact, when talking about the colleges I applied to, the interviewer asked me if there were any I didn't get into. I told him two where I was not accepted and he asked me, "why do you think that is?" - which I was kind of put off by. I didn't feel the like questions they asked were very relevant or allowed for much clarity on leadership skills and your ability work on teams - which in my opinion, should be a more important focal point for an eventual management position.

They did not inform me that I was not selected - I had to email the HR manager two weeks later for her to tell me. I asked for feedback as to why I wasn't chosen, and she did not provide me with any. I felt that was rude of them not to take two minutes to inform me of their decision when I had taken a vacation day and flew to Cleveland to be there.

Interview Questions

• How do you think the cuts in government spending affect your industry?   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr.

Interview

It was the typical campus interview. There were a lot of behavioral questions, but overall it was pretty straight-forward.

Interview Questions

• They asked about how I manage my time within certain aspects of what was presented on my resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Cleveland, OH) in October 2012.

Interview

Started with a 30 minute 2:1 on-campus interview. All behavioral and relaxed. Next I was offered the chance to visit Cleveland for an interview day. This day consisted of 5-6 1:1 interviews plus lunch (which was also an interview) with various members of management. These interviewers ran the gamut of experience from young people just 1-2 years older than myself to an HR director who had been with the company over 14 years.

None of the interviewers were dedicated HR professionals so the quality of interview varied widely. Some interviewers were well prepared and asked insightful questions while others had obviously been asked to participate at the last minute and had never seen your resume until they sat down with you.

Interview Questions

• Is it possible to plagiarize from yourself?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Chicago, IL) in February 2013.

Interview

I scheduled a call through an HR person, which I expected to be an informational or screening interview. During my call she asked if I wanted to proceed with the phone interview, which would be the next step in the process. She asked me pretty standard questions about myself, my college search experience, my leadership experience, and what I wanted out of a job. At the end of the conversation, she informed me that the next step in my interview process was to schedule an on-site interview, which I would hear about by the end of next week.

Interview Questions

• She asked me if I were managing an employee whose performance was lacking, how would I approach the situation and correct it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Robinsville, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Robinsville, NJ).

Interview

Basic HR phone interview for starters. Went over the basics, why us, name a time when you had a conflict, what are your career goals. Where do you see yourself in 5, 10, 20, years etc. Basically what you would expect from an HR phone interview.