McMaster-Carr Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McMaster-Carr Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at McMaster-Carr

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Cleveland, OH) in August 2011.

Interview

I had an initial phone interview and was told that the next week I would hear back. I heard back the next day asking to visit their office and have a series of interviews. The interviews were very random and seemed a bit disorganized. They had other managers interviewing me about anything from my resume, to current events, to what my ideal job would be disregarding the position at McMaster Carr. It did not seem that they had a set system, it was more of if you could pass each individuals own test.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me about the impact of the large amounts of spending done by the US Government.   Answer Question
  • Describe for me a time you had to think outside of the box to fix a problem   Answer Question

The company, while it does hire intelligent employees, lacked a work environment that would be fulfilling.

Other Interview Reviews for McMaster-Carr

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

Long day and interview with 4 different people. Asked some tough questions that I had to think out and answer. They keep digging for more even if you have given them many different answers to the question. Get a good nights sleep because it is a longggg day.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about a problem they had with their packaging system and I had to figure out a solution   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Cleveland, OH) in April 2013.

Interview

I had actually applied for the Recruiting position in the NJ branch but then had a voicemail from one of the HR people telling me that she thought I'd be best suited for the Manager position. I called back and set up a phone interview for two days later. The phone interview went pretty well, just typical questions about my resume, my experience and why I think I could bring a fresh perspective into the management team. The lady told me she'd contact me within a week but I still haven't heard back from them.

Interview Questions

• What other positions are you interested in applying to for other companies?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Cleveland, OH).

Interview

I applied on their website and received an email that they were interested in looking at me for a management position. We set up a phone call that lasted about 30 minutes the next day. The recruiter asked me general questions about my resume, leadership style, education, etc. A lot of questions revolved around "why" I chose to go to certain schools or pursue my previous careers.

She also asked the obligatory "why McMaster" question, but seemed to be expecting a very specific response. Also, she asked my salary expectations. I said it would depend on the position and other situations, but she insisted that I give a hard number.

For a recruiter she was extremely dry and horrible at holding a conversation. From reading the reviews, her robotic state seems to be a cultural norm in this company.

It ended with her saying that she'd contact me in about a week for an on-site interview, which hasn't happened.

A few days after the interview I was sent a boilerplate voluntary disclosure form.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Cleveland, OH).

Interview

phone interview after submitting my resume. A friend works there and warned me about the process. McMaster is set in THEIR ways. The phone interview was one of the most odd interviews I've ever experienced. I said something that she didn't want to hear. Maybe it was the tone of my voice. Who knows, I certainly don't.

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work for McMaster Carr   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Atlanta, GA) in August 2013.

Interview

Phone interview then flew in for day of interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Submitted resume online, heard back the next day via email to set up phone call. Phone call interview was a "walk-me-through-your-resume" format. Said they would get back to me within 2 weeks about an onsite interview (or not). They asked which location I would be interested in. Sent me an email the next day saying they wanted the onsite interview. Onsite, you interview with 5 people, one of which is a lunch interview. The interview was very conversational, and was a combination of judging background and fit.

Interview Questions

• One interviewer posed a scenario they are currently trying to overcome in their fulfillment center and asked how I thought they could solve it. Wasn't looking for a right/wrong answer, just sizing me up.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr.

Interview

I was contacted from someone who found my resume on indeed. After speaking to them they asked if we could go straight into a phone interview. I accepted an we then proceeded to a phone interview. The interview was very general. There weren't specific questions about my experience. I also didn't get a clear understanding of the position.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr in November 2009.

Interview

They didn't tell me what position I was interviewing for until I got there. Then they did various one-on-one interviews throughout the day. They took me on a walking tour of their facilities and interviewed me along the way. Everybody was very nice, but I was more interested in an engineering type position.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr in February 2011.

Interview

Recruited came on campus for an initial screening. Interview was very friendly, and easy going. Interviewer asked me to walk through the resume and asked some 'case type' questions such as what inventory costs are etc.
    I was asked to come on-site to interview. The on-site interview was pretty rigorous, consisting of a tour of the facility, and four interviews with four different people in the department. Most of the interviews consisted of questions about my background and experiences.