McMaster-Carr Operations Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

McMaster-Carr Operations Specialist Interview Questions

Interviews at McMaster-Carr

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Chicago, IL) in June 2017.

Interview

Two recruiters take you around the warehouse, then to the offices upstairs to conduct the interview. They also have you respond to a "customer inquiry," and have you look for the item on their company website. Then they have you respond to the customer via email. Overall, the interview process took an hour and half.

Interview Questions

• What do you look for in a supervisor?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for McMaster-Carr

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Robbinsville, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Robbinsville, NJ) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied to McMaster-Carr through an online listing. I received a phone call from a recruiter a day later, and set up a brief phone interview where we mainly discussed my work experience. At the end of the interview we set up a time for an in person interview the following week.

Upon arriving at the interview, I was asked to complete some paperwork before a second recruiter came to give me a tour of the facility. We toured both the offices and the warehouse, and throughout the tour the recruiter would ask questions to test my understanding of the operation and problem solving skills. We then went to a consultation room where we discussed how my experiences fit the needs of their positions.

After this, a supervisor came in and we discussed my work experiences more in depth. She also provided a company catalog and tested my ability to find information and answer questions on the material.

At the end of the interview I was informed that I would hear within a week, and I did hear back that Friday. Overall, the process took about two hours, and was very good at familiarizing you with the company.

Interview Questions

• What could your current employer do to keep you there?   1 Answer

Operations Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr.

Interview

Interview process took about 2 1/2 hours. Fairly straight forward. I met with 2 people. Typical interview questions. They also put you through test scenarios to see how you problem solve.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Robinsville, NJ

Interview

Received a text on my cell from a recruiter saying she saw my resume and wanted to speak with me. Thought it was strange so I called to see if it was legitimate. When I reached the recruiter, I was surprised to be engaging in a full on phone interview. Questions were fairly in depth about my resume and past experience, strengths and weaknesses etc. After speaking for about 20 minutes I was offered an opportunity to view the warehouse and meet with the recruiter two days later. She was very nice and took me on a mini tour- showing me an assembly line of sort and boxes of their goods. Throughout she was asking me questions like, "Why do you think we package this this way?" The job seemed very monotonous with unhappy workers pushing and checking boxes. It was completely left field from my degree, previous work experience, and anything else on my resume. I knew it was a warehouse job but when looking up the impressive salaries I figured it was at least worth a visit.

After the tour she brought me in a room and asked me a lot of the same questions from the phone interview for about 20 minutes. Upon leaving, I really didn't expect to get a call back- especially being that I had only met with the recruiter the whole time and not any other manager. About a week and a half later I got an expected email saying they would be moving on with more qualified candidates.

What I thought was most strange about the process was the fact that they recruit people who from their resumes, are obviously not typical warehouse workers. The questions she asked me were in depth but I did not think they were related to the job. Ie- asking me to name a specific time I improved a system at my workplace? When the position I'm interviewing for seems like I would be a robot with zero opportunity to stray from any methodic packing system required of me. Still I figured they want a variety of people from different backgrounds. When I toured the warehouse however, I was specifically looking for people like me- young females who may not stereotypically look like they would work there. The only people fitting this description were probably the supervisors standing stationary behind a computer. It was mostly middle aged men and one middle aged woman I saw doing this work.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you changed a set system in your workplace   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Elmhurst, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Elmhurst, IL) in December 2013.

Interview

Got an email from a recruiter. Had first round phone interview then was asked to come in for a 3 hour interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about replacing a defective wheel on a cart?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiating. The benefits are great as-is so there is little to no wiggle room to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Robbinsville, NJ

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Robbinsville, NJ) in January 2013.

Interview

Received two interviews in the same day. Interviews last 3 hours in total. A lot of the 3 hrs was telling me about the company and also testing me to see if I was willing to deal with a lot of the negatives.

Interview Questions

• I was given the product book and asked questions about how to deal with customer questions in regards to the products.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Elmhurst, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Elmhurst, IL) in June 2012.

Interview

Interview process is a little strange. It was kind of like a marathon of interviews. In total, I interviewed with, if I remember correctly, 5 different department managers, one right after the other. It was pretty standard interview questions, but if you have any personality at all, it should quickly start to feel like a conversation than an interview. They are more concerned with hiring people with the right kind of personality than the right qualifications. Though having a bachelor's degree is were I think they draw a hard line; have to have one - or military experience instead.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Atlanta, GA) in December 2010.

Interview

I was contacted by a HR recruiter who found my resume on an internet job site. She scheduled a phone interview for the following day and after the phone interview, I was asked to take a tour of the facility and meet management on the following week.

The day of the facility tour and 1:1 interview, I expected to meet with at least 4 managers but only met with another HR recruiter who advised that she or someone in the company would contact me within a week.

Interview Questions

• What would you previous or most recent employer say about you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ewing, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Ewing, NJ) in December 2014.

Interview

Strangest interview I have ever encountered. The HR recruiter called me to screening me for the position . That went well and I had another interview on the phone a few days later. They then set me up to interview at the Ewing, NJ office.

It was very interesting that the HR recruiter kept telling me that they are very transparent in their interviews about the job. She said I know there have been a lot things said on Glassdoor about us that are not good reviews.

OK RED FLAG, if they feel that way then they need to fix something really fast within their company .

The woman that was suppose to interview me did not, not sure why and I did not feel it was right to ask at that point. The gentleman that interviewed me seemed rushed, bored and not happy.
    He gave me a whirl wind tour of the office and then we sat and talked. He never asked any questions about me or my previous work experience. That seemed very odd to me.

All of his questions were, Why do think we do this and why do think we do that? Why do think we do not send out catalogs to all our customers? What would you do if a vendor sent in an order for a larger trash bag size that they never ordered before...remember you cannot call them or fax them back to ask them why they ordered this???? I felt like I was in the twilight zone. I told him I would go back into their files check their records, maybe their production has increased recently and needed larger size bags.
    He also kept saying I am being transparent with you, moves within the company are lateral....he kept repeating that several times. He also kept saying you may go home and rethink this after we are done and maybe you will feel that this is not a good fit for you. Wow thanks for the the vote of confidence.

No offer but that was fine after that interview and reading the reviews. Good things come to those who wait and I received a great offer from a reputable company a few months later.

Interview Questions

• What do think of our bin set up and why do think we do it this way.....why do you think we do send out catalogs to our clients?   Answer Question