MedStar Health Strategic Planning Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

4.0

1 Candidate Interview ReviewBack to all Interviews

Strategic Planning Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MedStar Health (Columbia, MD) in July 2011.

Interview

Applied online and was emailed within 24hrs and asked to come for 1:1 interview the next day. Initial interview was with hiring manager (Strategic Planning Manger) and was relatively informal and friendly, approx. 90 mins, including a lot of 2 way information sharing (i.e. she was keen to tell me all about the company and working arrangements too). She decided in front of me to make me the last of 3 candidates to come back for second round interviews.

Second round interviews took place about 10 days later. Consisted of 3 separate interviews of 45-60mins each:
1) Market Research Manager
2) Business Developemnt Manager
3) Two analysts, who would be my co-workers

Everyone was very friendly and professional. All 3 senior managers genuinely seemed to enjoy working there and had been there for aout 5 years each. Interviews consisted of many typical questions ("what can you bring to the company?", "what are your strengths" etc) but also fairly honest accounts of work ethic and environment. Employee comments included:
-Good work-life balance. 8:30-5 is typical. Not usually expected to work overtime. Good paid leave allowance.
-Almost everyone has own office. Good for getting work done but quite isolated.
-Very hierarchical structure. Analyst reports to one manager who may then take work up the chain. Analyst may never see work again, or receive acknowledgement or credit, or be involved in more senior meetings.
-Most work is done independently rather than team oriented. Most co-worker relationships developed informally i.e. work lunches etc rather than during office hours.

Corridors were immaculate and offices were large. Whole place was VERY quiet. Seemed a good environment if you like sitting still and getting on with your own work, but not overly social or collaborative.

It should be noted that Medstar is a large corporation and that departments are organised and run very differently.

Best advice if going into similar format is to take notes with you and/or a list of questions to ask each interviewer. I was tired by the end of the third interview and had clearly run out of questions and extra things to say which probably made me look a little disorganised. At the end of the 3 second round interviews I was then met in the corridor by the original hiring manager who asked me what I thought, what stood out, and if I had any more questions. I was not expecting this and could have been better prepared for that, too! :-(

Interview Questions

• What do you think you can bring to Medstar?   Answer Question
  • Your background is in science, and this job isn't, so why do you want this job?   Answer Question
  • What 3 words would your colleagues best use to describe you?   Answer Question
  • Describe a positive work experience or environment from you past and what you liked best about it.   Answer Question
  • Describe a negative work experience or ornironment from you past and what was bad about it.   Answer Question