Medallia Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Medallia Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 8, 2017

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Medallia (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

One phone screen interview. Very straightforward. I did write the solution and the interviewer said "Great". But later on he passed on me. No concepts. No logic based question. Phone screen was immature (read-on).

Interview Questions

• He was trying to get some Iterable<> syntax right for Vargs. A simple google search would have given me the exact "Iterable" syntax solution. Not sure what they were trying to test.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Medallia

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Medallia in October 2016.

Interview

They had a meet up at my university. I attended and talked to an engineer and a recruiter. They were super friendly and helpful in explaining what Medallia is and the opportunities available. I applied online after.

A few days later, I received a phone call from the recruiter to see if I was still interested. We set up a technical phone interview. I had a lot of course work and interviews booked during the next week. They were cool with me scheduling my interview a week and half away. During the interview, their software engineer asked me to code up a solution to his problem on one of the shared live coder pads. He was happy to answer any questions I had. After I finished, we moved onto optimizing my solution.

In the next two days, I heard back about their decision to move on with the next step, which is 4 rounds of interviews. Three of the interviews were technical interviews similar to the first interview. Some had two coding questions, and some had a long one. (Can't remember exactly). The fourth interview was a cultural interview that is very interesting and different than any tech companies I've interviewed for.

It took another three days to hear about their decision back.

Interview Questions

• They gave technical problems and I code the solution. Questions are similar to any big tech companies when they do coding interviews.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Medallia (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

They contacted me through Piazza and took me out to a very nice dinner in LA, I had a very good time, but the employees at Medallia seemed to be overly trying at saying how great Medallia is and it seemed rather fake. Despite that, I scheduled a skype interview through the recruiter.

Skype interview:
    The interviewer called on time and asked about my background and asked a few questions based on my background. Then he sent me a collabedit link with the technical question. The question was basically just finishing a class and various methods. He gave little to no help or instructions on what to do and I had to ask a lot of questions regarding that. He was very rude when I would type one mistake and had little to no patience during the interview. He also expected me to know what classes I couldn't see did, which threw me off at first. Overall, the technical question was very confusing and is not a good indication of how smart a candidate is. A few days later, I got the rejection that I knew was coming.
    Overall, I think the company's product is very interesting, but I do believe their culture seems forced.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Medallia (Stanford, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

There were 1 behavior interview and 2 technical interviews; Recruiters were nice, helpful and gave me a good impression. First general questions,talked about half an hour. He asked questions like what's your favorite project, what's your spare time spent on, how do you like school; Technical questions were about tree traversal and lots of basic data structure problems, and some dynamic problems (tree breadth first traversal, depth first traversal on some specific problems).

Interview Questions

Medallia Response

Mar 29, 2016

I'm so glad you had a positive experience! Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback, and best of luck in all your future endeavors.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Medallia (Palo Alto, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

They spent too much time on difficult coding questions to prove how good they are. They are not, they claimed they use some fancy open source project, but never contribute a single line code back to the community.

Their HR lies on their culture fit interview. And their culture fit interview is totally BS. So their culture is creepy.

Interview Questions

• The culture fit is something like: why did you go to schools?   1 Answer

Dec 17, 2015

Wow, I'm sorry you feel this way! Like many large companies, we do not contribute code to open source projects, but we do participate in other ways. I apologize that this point was not clear. Best of ... More

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Medallia.

Interview

The first stage is a hackerrank. After that they interview you in person. They recruited on campus, but I applied online before they came. The recruiters were really enthusiastic and focused on how great culture is at Medallia. Took several weeks to get the hackerrank invite.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Medallia (Austin, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

Submit my resume in their tech talk, having an interview the very next day. They set me a meeting with one of their engineers in nearby coffee shop and I just code in the paper.

Interview Questions

• 1. Implement a function to check if a string is palindrome or not
      2. Given a cost function and a budget find the maximum quantity you can buy given those 2 parameters
      1 Answer

Nov 4, 2015 – Employer Branding

Thank you for taking the time to interview with us and best of luck in your continued job search!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Medallia (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

The recruiting & engineering teams at Medallia was great through the whole process! Even though I didn't get an offer, I was glad to have met and talked with each of my interviewers.

The process began for me when I saw them give a talk to one of the student orgs at my school. They had some open interview slots, so I added myself to the list. I had one in-person interview a couple days later, then a coding challenge, phone screen (so the recruiter had a better idea of where to place me), and a final round of 4 back-to-back interviews via Skype.

The final round is pretty crazy because it's hard to get some break time between the interviews. I met with an interview to talk about some management stuff, culture stuff, and two technical interviews.

Another great thing about this process is that they let you know exactly what you messed up on. So many other places will just say "we can't say why not, but no." Medallia lets you know which part you messed up.

Interview Questions

• The management interview was mostly talking about my previous experience in other SWE roles and coursework.

The culture interview was a little weird, just because I'm not used to an interviewer asking those types of questions, but basically they want to know where you came from, why you have selected the academic track you have, etc.

The technical interviews were fine. Not out of reach, but also not a total cakewalk. I tripped up a little on the first one, but it was actually the second interviewer's feedback that messed up my chances. He reported to the recruiting team that I have made some mistakes (which was true), but I think my biggest problem with this interview was that the interviewer and I got so sidetracked talking all about the company and what it's like to work there. I thought that interview went really really well, but I guess the rushed mistake I made tipped the scale.

I'm not sure there's a whole lot I can do to improve feeling rushed, but I will definitely reapply next year with more focus on getting straight to the technical questions and saving the chat until afterwards.
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Medallia in October 2015.

Interview

I applied for Medallia through referral. A recruiter contacted me really quickly, and appointed a interview. During this interview, only some behavior questions were asked. They she rejected me the next day, without even giving a chance for online challenge!!
    Actually, I think the recruiter was practicing on me. She was just doing an exercise on how to introduce Medallia and how to interview people. WHAT A JOKE. I am expecting for a job and Medallia is expecting for an exercise.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Medallia in September 2015.

Interview

I applied online, and several months later was invited to take an online coding challenge. The online coding challenge was objectively the most difficult interview challenge I've ever had (Eventbrite, Intel, Bloomberg, Qumulo, Zappos, Rakuten). You are required to decipher a template that has been prewritten, and then iterate through an iterator of iterators, and search for a particular target string within the string returned from your iterator. I scrolled down to look at the source code below the editor, and whoever wrote it had written in the comments "crazy hack to build iterators".

The next challenge was just a run of the mill parse text and find the URL type challenge, which can be solved with a dank regular expression. You are given about 45 minutes to solve each of these challenges. You can use C++, Java, JavaScript, or Python.

Interview Questions

• Iterate through an iterator of iterators and return the number of times a given string occurs.   Answer Question