MediaMath Interview Questions in New York, NY | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 12, 2018

49 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

HR Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MediaMath (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

Applied online and got an email about three weeks later to set up a phone screen. Arranged to speak a few days later. The scheduled call time came and went. No call. Emailed the recruiter about 30 minutes later. She responded the next day asking if we could reschedule for the same day/time the following week. Second time around she called about 25 minutes early. This was problematic as I’m currently working so I had to get away from my desk and find an empty conference room in a hurry. She told me the position was high priority but on hold while they figured out what exactly they needed from the role. We scheduled a follow-up call for 2 weeks later. Guess what?! No call. Emailed her an hour later and she called about 30 minutes after that. This is where things got really frustrating and quite frankly where MediaMath moved from a company that had great employer potential to one I no longer had much interest in. She said the position was still on hold. No problem. That they were looking for someone with sales and CSO experience – no problem, I have that and we had talked about it on the first call. That they were looking for someone with 6-8 years’ experience – no problem, I have that too (but BTW the posting said 8-12 yrs). That they can’t sponsor someone who needs a visa – no problem, I don’t need a visa and we also talked about this on the first call. My sense was that she was trying to tell me I wasn’t a fit but hadn’t taken good enough notes from our first call and wasn’t familiar with the job posting. As someone who also does a lot of TA there were several places where MediaMath’s process fell short. One being that it’s simply really bad practice not to show when you’ve scheduled a call. Reading other reviews here on Glassdoor I’m not the only one to have experienced this. We all get busy. I get that completely. But a timely email would have been appropriate. Interviewing is a two-way street. I’m interviewing companies just as much as they’re interviewing me. Overall my candidate experience was not positive.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. Just a run through of my resume and experience to date.   Answer Question

Director, Programmatic Strategy & Optimization Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MediaMath (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

(preface: didn't receive offer due to lack of management experience, which I'll concede as someone with < 3 years of full time work experience)

Pretty straightforward interview process. Fielded InMail from recruiter, had an initial vetting call for 30-45 minutes. As a follow up, the recruiter e-mailed me a case study brief and accompanying data set in the form of a spreadsheet. The ask entailed running a few different attribution models and putting together a presentation with derived insights and recommendations on incorporating those learnings into the marketer's next program. I submitted this back to the recruiter, and after it was reviewed, they wanted me to speak with the hiring manager over the phone. Conversation went fine, no crazy questions or anything unexpected.

Overall the process was pretty smooth, the recruiters were responsive and helpful in understanding the process.

The one piece of negative feedback I have was that the hiring manager didn't review the case study or deck I spent 2-3 hours preparing at his request, so if you're asked to do something similar, I'd view it more as an administrative hurdle that you need to simply "pass" and wouldn't put too much time into it.

Interview Questions

• Biggest strengths/weaknesses   1 Answer

Director, Programmatic Strategy & Optimization Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MediaMath (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

Phone screen with recruiter > take-home assessment > in-person 'meet & greet' with hiring manager > in-person meeting with rest of team and final presentation.

I found the process to be in-depth and rigorous (in a good way), without being overly formal or one-sided in favor of the employer. The talent team did an excellent job of facilitating the dialogue and maintaining forward momentum, and the PSO team was transparent, honest, and intellectually engaged.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a situation in which you had to deal with an employee's performance and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Sales Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MediaMath (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

I had a phone interview, and then an in person. There was a presentation involved, which took up some time, but it was a good way to prepare for the interview. The interviewing process was very pleasant and timely. In the end we both felt that it was not a good fit.

Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MediaMath (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

The interview process was awkward pretty much from my first contact with the company. The HR contact I spoke to on the phone sounded vocally flat and disinterested, as though she really didn't want to be doing what she was doing. It made me wonder, if *she* doesn't want to be working there, do I? Not a good first impression.

I had a video interview with one of their managers, which went well. He was actually much more positive, pleasant, and engaged than the HR contact. I decided to go in for an onsite interview.

The onsite went pretty well. Two hours, four different engineers, including some management. The management were transparent that there was going to be some restructuring in the near future. I appreciate the transparency. The engineers themselves were pleasant, and asked reasonable questions - what you'd expect on data structures and algorithms, and the specifics of using Python (the preferred language I asked to use).

I received an offer. The compensation was honestly below market rate, and the non-compete agreement was incredibly broad, specifically calling out a huge list of competitors. For an entry level position, and at this level of compensation, this is inappropriate.

The HR contact then began aggressively pressuring me to accept the position. The combination of warning flags, low compensation, unusually overly broad non-compete, and finally the pressure to accept caused me to turn down the offer. It gave the overall impression that MediaMath knew they were giving a sub par offer, and were attempting to rush me into taking the offer before I had a chance to properly consider and vet it.

Would not recommend.

Interview Questions

• Some tricky list comprehension brain teasers in Python.   Answer Question

MediaMath Response

Oct 19, 2017 – Director, Talent

While glad you had a good experience meeting with our engineers, your overall experience with MediaMath is the opposite of our vision for our ideal candidate experience – and for that we sincerely... More

Compliance Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MediaMath (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

I was interviewed three times. Once over the phone by the HR Manager for the role. I was then interviewed by the person I would be directly reporting to over the phone. I was then interviewed by 5 individuals that I would interact with to fulfill the role.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for media math? What would you do in this situation? What is a policy? What is a standard? What is a procedure?   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MediaMath (New York, NY).

Interview

Interviews were easy. Talent coordinator took forever to respond to emails and was a good representation of how unorganized the company is.
    Two phone interviews, an in person interview, and that was it.

Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I interviewed at MediaMath (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by their internal recruiter. Then a 1-hour phone interview with the manager. Questions are mostly about how to lead a project from start to finish; any agile/scrum experience; and some behavioral questions. Afterwards I was invited on-site for a 1.5 hour interview with 3 TPMs. Questions are mostly about fit and I asked them a lot of questions as well regarding the role and the company. Nothing difficult or out of ordinary. I sent them an email a week after the interview asking for feedback. Recruiter said they enjoyed the interview but decided to continue interviewing candidates.

Marketing Engineer Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at MediaMath (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

Online Interview with 30 secs of preparing and answer to a question and giving a video recorded for about 2 min. Then told to create a presentation for an in person interview with the program lead and two other program managers

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a difficult interaction with a client.   Answer Question

Student Engineer Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MediaMath (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

There is an IQ test for the first round. Then I had a digital interview and the last round is presentation and interviews with team members. Question is similar to most interviews. Go through your resume and ask behavior questions.