Meijer Interview Questions in Grand Rapids, MI | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 30, 2017

2.6

Marketing/Merchandising Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Meijer (Grand Rapids, MI) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview was fairly easy. The first round took 15 minutes and the second you get invited to headquarters to get a tour, meet team members, and interview with two more people

Interview Questions

• If we contacted your most recent employer what would be one positive and negative thing they would say about you?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Meijer (Grand Rapids, MI) in October 2016.

Interview

I went to career fair in Grand Rapids MI through Grand Valley State University. I talked to someone at the booth for 5 minutes, and then was asked to scheduled an in person interview. I had a one on one in person interview the next day that lasted about 20 minutes.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Meijer (Grand Rapids, MI) in October 2016.

Interview

I met the Meijer representatives through on-campus recruiting. Everyone I talked to was great and I had my phone interview within a week. The day after the interview, I was offered a second round interview at the corporate office. The headquarters are beautiful and everyone is really nice. The interview itself was relatively easy.

Electronics Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Meijer (Grand Rapids, MI).

Interview

It was fairly fast and had a lot of fun mostly just chatting with the employer. It is pretty easy to be employed by Meijer. If you show confidence and passion you might even get hired for a better position which is what happened in my situation. One thing, I did kind of start worrying a bit because they said background check would take 3 days but had to wait 2 weeks.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Meijer (Grand Rapids, MI) in June 2016.

Interview

Met with the interviewer, and sat down for about half an hour with him. He asked questions along the lines of "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" and "How could you benefit our company?" Took about 5 days.

Interview Questions

• What is your eventual career goal in life, and will this help you achieve that goal?   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Meijer (Grand Rapids, MI).

Interview

I submitted my resume into the online portal, and didn't hear anything back for two weeks. Then I was called and a phone interview was requested. During the phone interview the first question the recruiter asked was how much the position should pay. Given the description of the job was vague online, I provided a rough guess off-the-cuff, and then we discussed the role more in depth. After that interview, an in-person interview was scheduled for 1 week later with 4 of the main people from the department I was applying for. During the in-person interview, 2 of the 4 people I was supposed to meet with didn't show up at all, and the second one was late. We discussed my skills and the role, and I was told they were going to call me back within the week to follow up for a second interview to discuss salary, benefits, and all of the in-depth stuff you don't usually cover in your first interview. I didn't hear anything back for a month.

After that month passed, the phone rang on a Friday at 4pm, and the recruiter was on the other end again. She told me I had the job, was starting 2 weeks from that Friday, and my salary was the figure I tossed out at the beginning. When I inquired about a salary negotiation, she stated "the position was already locked in the system at the current number, and we could try to open it back up, but it would be a hassle." Not wanting to make waves even before day 1, I just accepted, and had to resign my current position immediately before the end of the day to ensure 2-weeks notice was given.

Coincidentally, on day 1 after orientation I was told my manager would come get me from orientation and show me to my desk while doing a meet & greet of the team, and I was instead left to sit in the lobby for over 2 hours.

Overall the process seemed incredibly slow, and disorganized. At no point did I feel as though they valued my time or experience through the process.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you failed, and how you reacted to that experience.   Answer Question
    • Briefly describe a time when a project was more detailed or harder to work through than you originally thought, and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Merchandising/Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Meijer (Grand Rapids, MI) in February 2016.

Interview

Very easy interview, just your basic "strengths, weaknesses, tell me a time when...". They mostly look for your personality to see if you would be a good fit. It is two rounds, a one on one at my university then followed up with a day at their HQ's where you get interviewed by 2 separate people.

Corporate Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Meijer (Grand Rapids, MI) in February 2016.

Interview

I was skeptical about Meijer coming in the door, but the recruiter, talent manager and director of talent meeting me the first day was so helpful. I walked out wanting the job more than ever. I could not believe that we shared the same goals and values in regards to candidate experience and talent development. It was a modern office space with open collaborative space on each floor which I loved. There is a nod to nostalgia with the company's history in the area which was a pleasant surprise.

I really enjoyed meeting the leadership that first interview, then came back to meet members of the team in a separate interview process. This kept things manageable for me with fatigue and being able to have more meaningful dialog with each.

Meijer has a blend of traditional and behavioral based interview questions I'm assuming around core competencies. None of the questions were strange or 'trick' questions. Everything was relatable to the job for which I was applying.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral based questions around team, collaboration, service and achievements.   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Meijer (Grand Rapids, MI) in January 2016.

Interview

The interview is almost like every interview, except they literally bring you for three interviews; one with individual members of management, who usually ask you the exact same questions, as far as I remember. After those three interviews, a background check is given and it often takes either half a week or the entire week. This, again, is all for an entry-level cashiering job.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you and another employee had a conflict.   Answer Question

Utility Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wyoming, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Meijer (Wyoming, MI).

Interview

It was a really laid back environment the person was really nice and that made me relaxed. The questions were really simple not hard at all. Then a second person came in and she was super friendly as well. We did all 3 interview part in just 1 day.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you had to do a co workers job in a different area or department?   Answer Question
    • Was there a time when you had to work with someone that you didn't like?   Answer Question