Memorial Sloan Kettering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Memorial Sloan Kettering Interview Questions

Updated May 12, 2018

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering.

Interview

Applied for the job online. Got a call from a recruiter. There were multiple position available the positionI applied for did not list two or more year requirement. But when the recruiter asked me this question and he told me it was a requirement and that he could not proceed with me as an applicant.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering.

Interview

The phone interviewer was very nice and friendly. Make sure you have your personal questions that you'd like to ask. Series of different interviews to be expected. Overall the interview went well. It is a great company to want to work for.

New Grad Registered Nurse Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering in April 2018.

Interview

The interview was a miserable experience. I was asked a lot of questions about conflict within teams and between friends. I was also asked the same question in different ways. I have never left an interview feeling badly but this interview made me question everything. I was told that the interviewers must stay true to their process and that I would hear back in two weeks once they had reviewed all applicants. The same day as my interview I was asked to come back for a second interview. I still felt very uneasy from the nature of interview and so I spoke to a mentor of mine about the question style and she explained to me that it may be very concerning that I was asked those types of questions because it could mean that conflict or nurse bullying is an issue on that floor. I am hoping that is not the case because I wouldn’t want to work in that type of environment.

Interview Questions

• Being in a situation with drama and how it was resolved   Answer Question
    • Having to work in a team with a difficult situation   Answer Question
    • Negative feedback from a friend and how you learned from it   Answer Question

Session Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering (New York, NY) in April 2018.

Interview

Was first contacted by a talent recruiter. She asked if I would be available the following day for a brief introductory phone interview. At the end of this interview, she suggested that we move forward to second rounds with a virtual video interview the following day. A week later I was contacted that I had been invited for a final round interview in person with both the talent recruiter and the department managers.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you were working on a team and you disagreed with your team workers. How did you approach it?

Name a time when you went above and beyond for a patient?

Why MSK?

Why this role?

What do you know about MSK?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering.

Interview

I was first contacted by someone in HR who I spoke on the phone briefly with. I then went to HR and met with them in person, before meeting with a Supervisor and Manager in the department. The final interview was with the Doctor. Each interview lasted about 30 minutes.

RSA Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering (New York, NY).

Interview

It was very thorough from the phone call to the sit down interview with the talent acquisition specialist in HR to the hiring manager. In later years and higher positions, I also had to interview with the MD in the department I was applying to. Overall experience was pleasant.

Interview Questions

• Can I give them 2 years?   1 Answer
    • What do I plan to do in 5 years time.   1 Answer

Laboratory Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

I was contacted by HR and scheduled for two interviews. I thought they went very well. It was not my first interview with MSK and I always make it to the last two candidates but they offer the other one always for a simple reason. They don't hire anyone from outside the institute but they move people around especially for managerial positions. I was informed that they offered another candidate but they offered me a lab supervisor instead. It was strange because I met with the lab supervisor until I realized she was the one who took the position. I did not accept the offer. In summery and as I said before, they do NOT hire people from outside the institute, they move their employees around. I agree that their services are great but when it comes to management they need to update their system and hire new skilled people who can bring new ideas to MSK.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Physician Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

I applied previously back in December, and was not offered a position because as per the Talent Acquisition Rep, I came off too strong a candidate, and the doctor I was interviewing for felt that I was a bit overqualified for the position.

A few weeks ago, that same rep reached out to me for another opening that just recently posted, and asked if I would be interested. I said of course, and was immediately asked to meet with two supervisors. All seemed to be going pretty well, and the questions that were asked pertained to my experience (*STAR-method [see note below]), education, and if I would be willing to work in a facility other than the position that opened up, which I said yes to as well. This interview lasted almost about an hour, so be prepared to be there for a while, and be sure to use the restroom or grab a bite to eat beforehand!

Two days later, I was asked if I would be able to come in to meet with the provider that I would potentially be working for.

I met with the doctor, who was very kind and easy going. She asked me about my personal goals and didn’t make me feel uncomfortable at all. They want to make sure that you are good fit for the company, and just as much as you’d like to work for them, they want you to work for them too!

*the STAR method, in addition to previous interviews that I read on Glassdoor definitely helped prepare me this go around. If you don’t know what the STAR method is, please google it! Most of the questions were behavioral based, and require through detail and explaining. You don’t have to go in depth, but after reading the STAR-method process in answering behavioral questions, you’ll understand how to respond, and trust me, going in there prepared is the best way to be!

Interview Questions

• How do you handle difficult patients?
      What are two of your greatest strengths and two of your greatest weaknesses?
      Why do you want to work for MSKCC?
      What drew you to the healthcare field?
      Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Physician Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

I always knew that mskcc was an amazing company with amazing values, and going through the whole interview process and meeting people that work there, makes you even more amazed how everyone there is genuinely dedicated to cancer care. Its a truly humbling environment to be in and talent acquistion makes sure they are hiring the best candidates who have the same values. I applied online, got contacted by talent aquisiton a few weeks later. we had a 10 minute phone interview, and she invited me for an interview in manhattan. She was the sweetest peerson in the world, really makes you feel comfortable! The interview was difficult because they want you to answer in the STAR method (make sure you learn this!!) and is totally behavioral based. After the questions portion, she went over all my answers stating what i did good and could have improved on. She went over the whole interview with me and gave me examples of ways that i could have improved my answers. She was the sweetest person in the world, and i really really appreciated the feedback she gave me. She then told me to wait for the shuttle that would take me to main campus to meet the program chair/supervisor. She was so awesome too! the kindest souls in the world. Had a short interview with her and then she took me around the facility showing me all the floors, introducing me doctors and faculty. it was really great! I sent a thank you email, and didn't hear back for 2 weeks, but then i was notified that another candidate had been chosen. I was really bummed, but understood! The talent aq i had the inteview with then contacted me a few days later asking if i would like to interview for another poa position, and I attended a series of interviews: with 2 admin coordinators, 1 department head, met the 2 docs, and 2 poas of the department. She then contacted me the next day saying I got the job! I was so happy! This time around, I used the feedback she ha given me during my interview to really prepare for the 2nd one she sent me on, I was so grateful! The most amazing and helpful people you'll meet along the way, who are truly passionate about the mission of mskcc. Study the interview questions that people post on glassdoor, and just be yourself!

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

Applied online and got an email from HR several days later. We set up a brief phone call. Interviewer seemed rushed, but very friendly and energetic. I was told I would be invited in for another interview with another member of HR, but this person has yet to contact me.