Memorial Sloan Kettering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Memorial Sloan Kettering Interview Questions

Updated May 22, 2017

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Two phone screening interviews, following an advantageous face-to-face interview. The face-to-face interview was very intimating and full of subtle scare tactics. While explaining my STAR scenario, the interviewer suddenly lobbed oddball questions and also started rapid-fire questioning, I guess to adopt an aggressive and argumentative attitude from me. Thought the interview I remained calm and within the first 20 minutes, I knew I wouldn't move on in the recruitment process. Their process of interview and selection was severely outdated.

Interview Questions

• Many behavioral questions like "Tell me one time you had to .... "   Answer Question

Session Assistant I Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Overall, it was the most pleasant and comfortable interview I have had. Once you submit your resume and apply, if you get selected, you are asked to take an online admin test. If you pass, you are then asked to me the talent acquisition specialist then meet with 3 other admin staff, often former session assistants. The process and experience is very smooth and streamlined. They will focus mostly on behavioural questions, so, have plenty of examples on hand. I suggest you use the STAR technique in framing your responses.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about MSK? What was your motivation in applying for this position? Give me an example of a time you had to problem solve, think quickly on our feet, resolve customer service issues, encountered a challenge with your boss, how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

There's a pre-interview in which they ask questions pertaining the job position. The interviewer will also ask about past experience or if you have any experience with data input.

Interview Questions

• Why MSKCC? What do you know about the position? Why research?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering.

Interview

About two weeks after I applied I received a phone call and my interview was set up. I met with a HR person who was very nice and it was also super brief. He went over benefits and was ready to answer any questions or concerns. He then sent me a few blocks up to meet with the pharmacy department where I met with two supervisors who asks basic experience questions and gave me a tour. They sent me to my third interview at the main campus where I met with another three separate set of supervisors and who also asked their round of personality questions. During that interview they gave me the go and said they wanted to move forward. I had another tour for about 30 mins where I shadowed someone. Before I left the building HR sent me an email for the next step.

Editor Interview

Application

Interview

I received a friendly call from an MSK Talent Supervisor within one day of submitting my application. During my phone screen, this Supervisor conflated the editor position with the position above it. Her description of the job and reporting structure were different from the job I had applied to; she must have realized this later based on my questions, because she backtracked and tried to “clarify” some points (i.e., correct herself once she realized the flub). A few days later I noticed MSK posted the other position, which made me think her mix-up, while confusing, was forgivable due to high turnover in the department.

The rest of the phone screen went well and at the end of the call, she invited me to come in for an in-person interview. She asked for my availability that week and the following week. I gave her my preferred date. She told me she’d call me within a day or so, once she firmed up a date with the other MSK staff. I sent one follow-up e-mail a few hours after the interview thanking her for her time.

Well, the proposed in-person interview day came and went, with no follow-up communication at all. A few more days passed and still nothing. I’m a reasonable person and would understand if something had changed in the interim, but I was baffled by the lack of basic professional courtesy. A short follow-up e-mail or call would have sufficed. As a long-time MSK champion and daughter of an MSK patient, it pained me to (politely) withdraw my application…but the whole experience so insulting, and reflected so poorly on the hospital’s human resources department, that I had no choice.

Interview Questions

• If I had a magic wand and could give you the perfect job, what would it look like?   Answer Question

Memorial Sloan Kettering Response

Sep 16, 2016 – Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We’re disappointed to hear that you did not have a positive experience. As this does not meet our candidate experience standards, our team will be in touch to learn more ... More

Anonymous Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering in September 2016.

Interview

MSKCC is a highly disorganized organization with a disorganized HR dep and hiring managers. They invite you in for an interview, only to put it on hold, cancel it or to tell you that they are now focusing on internal candidates. I would not reccoment MSKCC to a friend for a place to work or to anyone for a place to receive medical treatment.

Physician Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online & submitted my resume. They require that you complete an online aptitude test before the process can continue. I took the test & followed up with a phone call. Had a brief phone screen a few days later & never heard from them again.

Session Assistant I Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering.

Interview

Had someone submit my resume to HR for the position. Was contacted by HR to schedule an onsite interview a few weeks later. First interviewed with HR, then some prior Session Assistants, and finally, with the Administrative Manager. I was asked for a lot of SPECIFIC examples such as a time I had to work in a group and the outcome, a time I made a mistake and how I approached it, etc. Best advice is to make sure you have specific examples and stories prepared ahead of time.

Interview Questions

• A lot of behavioral questions asking of specific examples.
      What was a time you made a mistake? (How did you address it? What was the outcome? Etc.)
      Name a time you had to work in a group and someone was not participating. (Again, how did you address it, outcome)
      Answer Question

Administrative Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied for two jobs and was contacted for one of them. I had a very brief phone screen during which I was only asked about salary, (mine was higher but due to the attractiveness of the opportunity, I didn't want to be ruled out based on that factor.) I was invited for an in-person interview to meet with "three managers". A date was suggested, and I was under the impression that an email confirmation was forthcoming (it never came.) The day before the discussed date, (a week later, after two unreturned phone calls) I finally got a call asking me to come, but on a different date. Although the position was in a different location, I was invited to Manhattan and was not told with whom I would be meeting, I was to find that out at the interview, which was to be at the HR offices. I was told to bring four copies of my resume. In order to make this work, I had to take off from work on short notice and travel into New York, at considerable expense.

Despite repeatedly leaving my cell phone number in voice mails, when I did get calls, they went to my home phone, which caused me to miss the calls and have to call back, including a message an hour before my interview, asking me to meet half an hour earlier. Fortunately, I got this message and did go early, at which point I was read the job descriptions again, and told that I would be meeting with TWO managers, and that I'd be riding a shuttle bus up to meet them. My appointment was not for an hour from then, and I had to sit in the lobby and wait after riding the shuttle uptown.

I have nothing negative to say about the managers or the interview itself, although, having not been selected, they may not have felt the same. I was told that they'd be making a decision in the next week, but two weeks later, when the HR person didn't return my call, I finally relented and emailed the manager, who must have forwarded the email to HR so she would finally update the status in ICIMs. What's the point in using the applicant tracking system, if you're not going to use it?

So, I wasn't selected but this was a process in which my time wasn't valued, and as an applicant I wasn't even given the consideration of feedback during the process. I've worked for both large and small companies throughout my career and just didn't expect this at a company of this caliber. The whole experience left me scratching my head.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when ... (fill in the blank - about ten times)   Answer Question

Physician Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

Three interviews- One interview was over the phone and they asked questions such as your job experience and why do you want to apply for the position. The other two interviews was in person and they asked behavioral questions