Memorial Sloan Kettering Research Technician Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Memorial Sloan Kettering Research Technician Interview Questions

Updated Feb 1, 2017

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Standard online application. One thing I noticed is that you make a profile and upload one resume and one cover letter and they get sent to all the different positions. You can not adjust documents for each position.

Got a phone call about 4-5 days for 2 interviews at the core facility. Everyone was extremely welcoming and the lab manager seemed very impressed with my experience. The conversation went very well, we spoke for about an hour and a half, and I felt confident in my chances at getting the position. I met with the lab supervisor for the second interview the same day and this one went very quickly, about a half hour, but still very smoothly.

I was invited back to the lab after my second interview by the lab manager to meet with the other research techs and we all got along great. The position itself was doing very basic DNA purification from stool samples, something that I had an enormous amount of experience with.

The lab manager said they would be interviewing other candidates as part of the process but that they would contact me in two weeks. I hadn't heard back from them after about three weeks so I contacted the lab manager again to inquire about my application status, which was when she informed me that they were looking for someone with more experience.

Overall, the interview process was very relaxed and at no point did I feel under-qualified or as if I had said the wrong thing. I would say that interviewing at MSKCC is an easy process, you just really have to meet the standards they are looking for in terms of qualifications.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Memorial Sloan Kettering

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I was called to schedule an interview less than a month after I submitted the application through MSK's career portal. Come interview day, I had standard questions, clarifications about my resume, etc,. The PI stressed to me which requirements they were looking for in a technician for the particular position. I would suggest to be fully prepared to answer questions about your research experience, your future plans, expectations, explanations about certain points on your resume. Overall it was a good experience. ***Currently waiting to hear back from them as they have to touch base with my references.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

The whole process took about 2 months. I applied to this job online at the end of April, had in-person interviews with HR and the lab head on the same in early June, then was asked for references a week later, and finally got an offer 5 days after references were checked. Both interviews were relatively short and easy.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering (New York, NY).

Interview

Fairly short since it was a new lab starting and it needed staffing fast. there wasn't any specific programming questions just questions in on my general background in research. If you have a decent background in research , and came out of a good university , you should do fine.

Interview Questions

• what languages i can code, and to describe the research i done at my MSc   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

Applied online through the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer center website, and heard nothing for weeks. A friend of mine that works there referred me and I got a call the same day from HR. A phone call that lasted about 15 minutes just to talk about interests and what the responsibilities of the job were. In person interview with HR, then with a group of employees.

Interview Questions

• What are 3 qualities you think are most important for this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

Simple. A phone call then an in person interview. The process took several weeks and i was finally called and extended a tentative offer after background check and references. I found the process was dragged on and could've been way more efficient

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the research going on in the lab?

Where do you see yourself in two years?
      1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I went through two rounds of interviews. One with the PI and the next with the research technicians and post doc. References were called and ended up getting the offer the next day. Everyone was very nice and inviting. The entire process took about a month or so, but I applied in February. Great experience!

Research Technician Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering in July 2014.

Interview

I was not hired, I was referred to by my old professor, and was called about a month later. The people were friendly, including the doctor that interviewed me. After about a half hour with him, he gave me a tour of the lab and then led me to a second interviewer.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering (New York, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews, 5 people in the first and 7 people in the second with one last interview with the boss. Didn't hear back from the boss for two months and suddenly got an offer and a deadline to accept! It was a hard decision.

Interview Questions

• Tell me anything about you that's work unrelated. Caught me completely off guard!   Answer Question

Negotiation

Asked for more money, HR was difficult to budge and only added a few hundred more to my annual salary.

Research Technician Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Memorial Sloan Kettering in February 2014.

Interview

Sent in my application and then about 4 weeks later was contacted by one of the current lab technicians. We then set up a time and day for interview quick and easy. The interview processes was very good- I was questioned by 4 lab members and the PI. Things went well but no offer in the end.