Menards Manager Trainee Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 24, 2017

1.5

27 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Massillon, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Menards (Massillon, OH) in May 2017.

Interview

After making me wait for 30 minutes past, even though I had arrived early, the store manager didn't understand the difference between a contractor and an employee when he asked about my work experience. He was too difficult to talk to, didn't understand anything I said which was evident by the bewildered look he kept giving me when he did look at me. Poor eye contact, weak hand shake, kept staring at the table and flipping pages randomly. Gave me the impression that he was completely inexperienced at even giving a simple interview. I'm sorry I wasted the fuel to go.

Interview Questions

• All questions were pertaining to if you used drugs, approved of stealing, and participated in fist fights.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Menards

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Green Bay, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Menards (Green Bay, WI) in March 2017.

Interview

Filled out online application. Received a call for interview a few days later. Whole process took about a week and a half. The interview itself was very easy, but the position listing is confusing as this is for a Department Manager position, not store management. The pay offer was the same you can get as a seasonal associate. Filled out a two page questionnaire on ethics in the workplace and agreed to a drug screening.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself? What is your experience?   Answer Question
    • What does customer service mean to you?   Answer Question
    • Name two things you would consider strengths. What would you say you need to work on?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilson, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Menards (Wilson, NC) in December 2016.

Interview

Interviewed with the Human Resources person. Filled out a form on character and I honesty with regards to company practices on theft, drugs, alcohol. Spent around one hour answering questions and learning about the manager trainee program. Did not meet with the GM. He was on vacation.

Anonymous Employee in Battle Creek, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Menards (Battle Creek, MI).

Interview

First took a psychological test on stealing, drugs, alcohol. Then meet the Store GM with the HR Manager. They asked why I wanted to work there. What I've heard about working there. What I needed to gain by working there. What are my strengths and weaknesses. What department I would fit best in. Why they should hire me. Interview was today so no offer yet.

Interview Questions

• Why I wanted to work there?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Menards (Racine, WI) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview process was very good for me. I applied online, and received a call to come in for an interview about a week later. I don't have a lot of experience in a managerial/supervisory role, and what I did have was from 15 plus years ago. They looked at that experience and my experience working at another company for 15 years and gave me an opportunity.

Interview Questions

• What department do you think you would be more comfortable managing?

How long do you see yourself working for Menards?

What made you choose Menards?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Menards (Chicago, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

The process involved submitting an online application with a resume, an interview with an HR person to discuss the basics of the job, a brief questionnaire about previous employment history, a personality quiz, and a more in-depth meeting with a Dept. Manager to discuss the program. They also require drug testing.

Interview Questions

• They were mostly concerned about my ability to re-locate to other stores, and possibly out of state, as they plan to expand locations.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Menards (Columbia, MO) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied online, was brought in for an interview later that week. Was not offered a job because they worded the drug test questions very weird, and I accidentally put that I had in fact done drugs in the last 30 days, instead of the opposite.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hanover Park, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Menards (Hanover Park, IL) in December 2015.

Interview

Applied on their website, 3 months later I was called in for an interview by an Assistant Manager. When you arrive, right before the interview, you have to fill out a 2 page questionnaire on honesty, background check & if you've involuntarily left a job before. The General Manager and Assistant Manager both sat in, the General Manager described the position and asked 2 questions while the Assistant Manager wrote down my answers. The General Manager said the Manager Trainee position was 3 months long @ $12.25 an hour and at the end of the 3 months the pay will raised to $13.00 an hour with the promotion to Assistant Department Manager. When the 3 months of training is up, you get to pick the store you want based on which store needs an Assistant Department Manager. The General Manager then said if the the Assistant Department Manager was meeting and exceeding their expectations, in 6 months they would be promoted to Department Manager. They offered me employment based on me bringing in my college transcripts to prove I had a bachelors in business because it is required for the position.

Interview Questions

Pay was nonnegotiable, thought it was low for someone with a bachelors.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Menards (Chicago, IL) in October 2015.

Interview

The interview process was easy. It was very conversational and the interviewers were very friendly. They asked simple questions and mostly talked about the job overview and work life at Menards. Overall, it was a great interview and I could tell right away how great and friendly everyone is at Menards.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Menards (Chicago, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview process was quick. We went over the basic over view of what a manager trainee does and the advancement opportunities. we discussed some of the benifits, the wages, hours, dress code, etc

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation needed