Mentor Graphics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 13, 2018

1. Featured Interview

Associate Rotational Engineer - SVC Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilsonville, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mentor Graphics (Wilsonville, OR) in January 2017.

Interview

The process took about a month. I applied through my university's job board and I got an email from HR about a week later asking for a phone interview. This interview lasted only about 15 minutes, as the HR person was simply describing the job to me. About a week later I got an email from an Engineer asking to set up a phone interview. In the phone interview, I talked with the Engineer about the projects on my resume, as well as my ideas about the position I was applying for. This lasted about an hour. Later that day they emailed me asking to do an on-site interview. The on-site interview consisted of three 45 minute interviews. Two with Engineers and one with the same HR lady. The Engineers asked me questions about the projects listed on my resume, and again, my ideas about the position I was applying for. The HR lady asked me some basic behavioral questions. They were super nice and encouraging. I walked out of the interview thinking I nailed it, but I did not receive an offer.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mentor Graphics.

Interview

Very thorough process. Began with a phone call from HR with just basic interview questions, followed by an on-site interview with several of the people I'll be working with. The first on-site interview consisted of three separate interviews with 2 people each. The second on-site interview were a series of one on one's with other people I'd be working with, with a lunch with my future boss. Everyone was very nice and the Mentor HR recruiter really helped prepare me for all of the interviews.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle negotiating between two parties that really did not see eye to eye?   Answer Question

Corporate Marketing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilsonville, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mentor Graphics (Wilsonville, OR).

Interview

First interview is a phone interview with part of the team (Not HR). The second interview is onsite and you have to give a 45 minute presentation. You get to meet the entire team which is mostly new grads.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for as an employee at Mentor?

What experience do you have with signal integrity?

How would you solve cross-talk issues?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Mentor Graphics (Huntsville, AL) in February 2018.

Interview

Briefly spoke to hiring manager over the phone then had a face to face with the hiring manager and several members of related teams. Hiring manager connected very well. Members of the team asked many good questions to assess my competence. Had me draw some code on the board towards the end.

Interview Questions

• Asked to explain the system I worked on in my previous job and answer questions about why certain things were done.   Answer Question

Associate Rotation Engineer - DVT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mentor Graphics (Fremont, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

Brief phone interview then was invited for on campus interview in fremont office about 2 weeks later. Phone interview was more informational in which they wanted to know what I knew. On site interview had a lot of questions about verilog and simulation - getting an idea of my knowledge base.

Associate Rotation Engineer - Calibre Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mentor Graphics (Fremont, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

I applied to several positions at Mentor and was called by an HR representative to basics for 2 of them. The second time we had an easygoing conversation, so I requested to be considered for this position also.
    My resume went through the appropriate channels, and I was called on the phone for a technical phone within 2-3 weeks. (The HR to hiring manager process seems to be slow at Mentor.)
    I was invited for on site screening after 4 weeks, which would be after I returned from holiday. My East coast to West coast travel was lengthy but arranged comfortably over 3 days by Mentor. Other companies have been tighter with the schedule, making unpleasant early morning and late night redeye flight bookings. I appreciated this generosity.
    There were 4 rounds of interviews followed by a less formal lunch discussion. The interviewers consisted of an HR representative with a behavioral round, and the rest were technical would-be teammates and managers. Questions revolved around my resume and projects, the story of how my interests evolved to match this position, discussion of the kind of work involved and my vision for my career. The interviewers were polite, helpful and easygoing. I enjoyed the interview process and found it holistic. Lunch was with all the people I had met, some more from the Calibre team, and another candidate. The discussions sprang organically. I enjoyed the whole experience.
    I had made them aware of a competing job, so they made me a good offer within days, but gave me only about a week's consideration time even after requesting an extension. Turning it down in favour of the competing offer was a difficult decision that I made based on location.

Interview Questions

• Phone screening had basic questions on my resume and projects.   1 Answer
    • On site interviews had lots of behavioral questions, my ideas of the role, my career path and the current industry situation, more technical questions off my resume.   Answer Question

Associate Rotation Engineer - PCB Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilsonville, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mentor Graphics (Wilsonville, OR) in January 2018.

Interview

Three phone screenings all within a day: first from the recruiter, then an electrical engineer, then the manager. The onsite consisted of four rounds with behavioral, technical, and resume questions.

Corporate Marketing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilsonville, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Mentor Graphics (Wilsonville, OR) in January 2018.

Interview

I had a couple of interviews for Mechanical Engineer-Corporate Marketing. First was telephonic and second was on site in Oregon. Telephonic interview was conducted by three people, they most asked elementary technical questions. The onsite interview was a 45-minute long presentation followed by lunch and one-one interview with the manager.
    unfortunately, I didn't get an offer.
    Though it is a telemarketing position, it a good entry point in a fantastic organization.

My only complaint, they were not very professional when it came to communication. No responses to follow up emails.

Interview Questions

• Given your research experience, why do you want to join a marketing position ?   Answer Question

Calibre Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mentor Graphics (Fremont, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

It was gruesome with non-stop interviews back to back. Decision was made to not hire because of relocation. That raises question why did they invite me from Texas to CA.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to move to CA from Texas when other moved to Texas?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilsonville, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Mentor Graphics (Wilsonville, OR) in January 2018.

Interview

Online test followed by an onsite interview. The onsite lasts about 90 mins with a group of engineers. On the onsite, expect to code on a white board. I'm absolutely disappointed with the recruiting process. After my onsite, I had to reach out to the recruiter weekly to get some updates. At this point, I don't even know if I'm still being considered (every-time I email the recruiter, I find out that I'm still being considered).

When a candidate makes it onsite, I expect a rejection or an offer. How would you like it if you gave me an offer and I disappeared? Sounds unprofessional to me. Respect your candidates time. After this experience, I don't want to apply or work for them.

Interview Questions

• Basic programming/design questions.   1 Answer

Associate Rotation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mentor Graphics (Portland, OR) in December 2017.

Interview

The process took like 2 weeks. First the manager called and then then the group lead. Manger asked questions about m projects. They even asked me if I know how to use Microsoft Power Point

Interview Questions

• Basic c, c++ oops questions   1 Answer