Mercedes-AMG Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Mercedes-AMG Interview Questions

Interviews at Mercedes-AMG

3.4

Graduate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Mercedes-AMG in December 2017.

Interview

Interview consisted of half technical based questions and half competency based. After the interview there was a tour of the factory. Technical questions were all based around parts on an engine, engine operating and failure types ( Interview was for HPP). Competency were pretty standards, what it means to be a good engineer, skills that make you suitable for the role. Negatives would be, they don't provide transport costs ( I had to travel about 300 miles). Took longer than stated at the interview to get a verdict ( I had to email them) and they didn't give any feedback despite being told I would and explicitly asking for it.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northampton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mercedes-AMG (Northampton, England (UK)).

Interview

I did an online application and was then invited to an application day. We were given a report to do and present in the interview, a group task and an hour long interview.

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Mercedes-AMG.

Interview

I was introduced via an agency, so the first contact I had with Mercedes was my first interview. It was brilliant - warm, friendly, informative and open. I walked away absolutely buzzing. The second interview was very similar in format, although fractionally more formal as with senior members of the team and a stakeholder. I was made to feel really welcome, the interviewers were interested, friendly and treated me with real respect.
    I did have to wait some time between interviews, but my expectations were managed in terms of this.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brixworth, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mercedes-AMG (Brixworth, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

A first interview of around an hour with two people, with some technical questions and a general discussion of my skills and experience. This was then followed by a second interview on another day which also lasted around an hour, with a panel of three people at more senior level, followed by a tour of the facilities. Everyone was very pleasant throughout and a good effort was made to answer my questions. Challenging questions were asked, but not in a confrontational manner.

Interview Questions

• You get a call on Sunday afternoon telling you that the power unit has failed in a race. The next race is next Sunday. What do you do?   Answer Question
    • How do you keep the team motivated when the pressure's on?   Answer Question

Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mercedes-AMG.

Interview

Online application, received an invitation for interview after 2-3 weeks. One all-technical interview; HR stuff done through phone prior to interview. Very challenging interview - more difficult than my PhD viva!

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northampton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mercedes-AMG (Northampton, England (UK)) in December 2018.

Interview

I applied it on their official career website and got the email of the invitation of an interview. They did not offer to cover any transport expense, and it costed me quite a lot just to go and back. The taxi from town to their company was 17 pounds a way. Their were two parts of the interview, which first was the group interview with around 6 or 7 interviewer observing you through the group activity and the second part is individual one interviewed by two interviewers. Group activity: background is a plane crashed at somewhere freezing and there is a town quite a far distance away and if we decided to stay or walk to town, we were given a list of equipments and we had to do short presentation of the equipments we are going to use in order and why. For the individual interview, we were taking on a site tour while the others were being interview.

Interview Questions

• There were general competency questions: why this company? why this role? describe a time you work under pressure.   Answer Question
    • They gave me a component and asked me what it is, what material could replace it, why and what manufacturing processes had it been through.   Answer Question
    • If I was going to build a manufacturing factory, what would I include ( anything like how many workers will I hire, what kind of machines do I do ....)   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brixworth, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mercedes-AMG (Brixworth, England (UK)) in April 2012.

Interview

Technical interview followed by fit interview. Both with two senior managers.

Technical interview focuses almost entirely on your background and experience as an engineer before giving you a "case study" of sorts to discuss using a prop from an engine.

The fit interview is much more about motivation and approach to the job.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer hands interviewee a piece of a clearly failed component from and engine.

What is this component? Explain why this component has failed? What could you do to fix it?

A discussion ensues along these lines as you're asked to analyse what could have gone wrong and explore options for resolving the issue.   Answer Question

Placement Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northampton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mercedes-AMG (Northampton, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Brief presentation with all other candidates. Be sure to know Mercedes history. Followed by either group activity or interview, depending on which group they place you in. Group project was a rocket "bomb" that must be extracted and disabled. There will be a circular carpet with a rough radius of a metre, and you will be given 3 strings of different lengths and asked, as a group, to retrieve the rocket "bomb" without tipping it. By tipping i mean that the device must always remain upright. A little clue as to how we solved this assignment was tying rope together and wrapping it round the rocket pulling in as many directions as possible to keep the thing both elevated and upright, then moving slowly to the edge where we gently put it down outside the circular carpet, and disabled the 'bomb' by pressing the disable switch which will be shown to you. Followed by an individual interview with two employees and including technical questions on testing engines and the question stated below. Then a general overview of who you are and what you have done, project work etc. and then there was room for question at the end.

Interview Questions

• Imagine you are an air particle going through a four-stroke engine. Tell us everything that you, the air particle, feels, experiences and endures from start to finish in as much detail as possible.   1 Answer

Graduate Electronics Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brixworth, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Mercedes-AMG (Brixworth, England (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

Written application with CV and questions about your motivational & skills e.g. 'why are you applying for this' and 'what can you bring to us' etc. Followed by psychometric tests. Followed by Assessment Centre. I believe there should be a second assessment centre. Assessment Centre structure is based around individual and group activities & a technical interview.

I would advise people who are genuinely interested to brush up on any relevant technical knowledge (things you learnt in university/college) that could be relevant to the role.

Finance Placement Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brixworth, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Mercedes-AMG (Brixworth, England (UK)) in November 2018.

Interview

Still waiting to hear back on the offer, has been 2 weeks.

Small group of 6 people, get your phone cameras taped over when you arrive.

To start you have a short introductory video presentation by two calm HR girls then taken straight into a room to sit in silence for an hour while you use some ancient laptops to do a case study task. Involved comparing suppliers and suggesting the best solution given some objectives. Had to make a powerpoint explaining our choice with graphs of the data we were given.

Then we had the group task straight after that. We walked into a room with 12 assessors and the 2 HR girls so 14 people total staring at us, bit weird. Had to move a fake bomb off some mat with some different sized pieces of string. You done a very short individual presentation of your strategy, no talking allowed while preparing it, then immediately had 15 mins to try to get the bomb off the mat without setting it off as many times as possible.

Following this was the interview. Was with 2 of the previous assessors. The 2 I had didn't seem to try to grill you, but they weren't messing about either.

Interview Questions

• Why this role?   Answer Question
    • What's your greatest achievement?   Answer Question
    • What are you passionate about   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you had normal tasks to complete for 8am tomorrow but you have a commitment you can’t get out of so have to leave work at 5.30pm (something like that)   Answer Question
    • Sometimes parts become obsolete. What would you do to stop the ordering of too many parts risking them becoming obsolete?   Answer Question
    • If you had to set up a meeting between the marketing manager and the supplier manager, how would you do that?   Answer Question
    • How would you ensure the meeting stayed on track?   Answer Question
    • If you were leading a meeting and one of the members wasn’t paying attention or seemed disinterested, what would you do about it?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever improved a system or way of doing something?   Answer Question
    • What sort of information do you think the manufacturing manager might ask you for?   Answer Question