Mercer Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 23, 2017

11 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Talent Consulting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Mercer (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

First round was 2 30 min interviews: 1 case and 1 behavioral.
    Final round was super day at the SF office. 5 30 min interviews with lunch in the middle: 1 strategy case, 1 technical case (case with numbers), 2 behavioral with principals, 1 report walk through.

Talent consulting team sort of combined SF, LA and Seattle offices together for the west coast recruiting process. So the associate who ran strategy case interview all visited three cities to case the intern candidates. LA has biggest office (hiring 7-8), SF mid (4) and Seattle smallest (2), so I recommend that you consider which office and their size will give higher possibility of getting you the position

Health and Benefits Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mercer (Berkeley, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied through my university career website. I heard back about a week later to schedule and interview. It was a 30 minute interview with the person who would be the intern's immediate supervisor. She just walked through my resume and asked about my experiences. Asked me why Mercer and why I'm interested in health and benefits. Told me about the intern's role, Mercer's work culture and more about the responsibilities/projects interns would have over the summer. Said I would hear back in about a week as to whether I get a final round interview.

Talent Consultant Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Mercer (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Three rounds of interviews with more of a focus on culture fit and behavioral based questions than strategy cases. There were some case style interview components but less than I was expecting. Even though it was done all remotely, I thought it was a great insight into the company and they really made an effort to answer my questions and help me feel comfortable.

Interview Questions

• Why should we pick you? Sell yourself to me.   1 Answer

Retirement Actuarial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mercer (Berkeley, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I met on campus for an interview. The interviewer was friendly and engaging but did not seem really prepared, since she randomly chose questions from a list in front of her to ask from, which probably also led to a really fast interview. It was behaviorial based rather than technical, with very standard questions.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose the actuarial field? Tell me about past internship.   Answer Question

Talent Consulting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mercer (San Francisco, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

1 hour long 1st round on campus, followed by a super day the following week at their regional headquarters. Overall, everyone was very nice and very helpful. Mercer places a heavy emphasis on their team and office culture, so most events and interviews were geared towards fit. Make sure you know why you want to work at Mercer/in consulting, and exactly how you would best contribute.

Interview Questions

• 1st round consisted of one 30 minute case study with an analyst, and a 30 minute fit interview with a principal. The case study was very straightforward and was mostly designed to test basic competency with quantitative numbers. 2nd round was five 30 minute interviews on site with a range of employees at different levels, including 2 simple case studies.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Mercer (San Francisco, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

Interviewed through on-campus recruiting. On the job posting page it advertised two positions, a general analyst and one in the communications track which had separate qualifications. However, when interviewed the interviewers were only aware of the general analyst position, and seemed confused when I told them I had applied to the communications track only and simply gave "internal reorganization" as an explanation. While both interviewers were friendly I was interviewed for a position I was not entirely qualified for and left the interview very confused and no longer interested in the position. The first interview was a 'fit' interview with general questions about my resume, interest in Mercer, etc. Second was a weird case interview which included questions about graphs and tables.

Interview Questions

• The questions about the graphs weren't exactly difficult but were definitely unexpected, i.e. what is the relation between these tables, give me the mode of these cells, etc.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

Interview

Phone (30 min) inc. basic behavioral questions that aims to understand what type of person you are & how well you can communicate. "Walk me through your resume" so be concise and be prepared to tell them what you did and the results you achieved.
    Final In-Person: Spoke w/5 people who did 1:1 with me. Great office culture & team environment. Each interviewer comes to you versus you having to go around from person to person. Be prepared for a case study on the company's line of work, strategy case study and emphasize WHY you want to work for Mercer (this came up over & over again). Overall, really intelligent group of people who want to make sure you want MMC and aren't considering them as 2nd choice. Ask smart questions, so be sure to read their published books.

Interview Questions

• Based on these charts on executive compensation, what is the recommendation you'd make to the firm?   1 Answer

Actuarial Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Mercer (San Francisco, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

first on-campus interview, then if they were interested in you, you would be invited to a second-round interview and it would be on-site.

Interview Questions

• how would you differentiate insurance and consulting   1 Answer

Human Capital Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mercer (San Francisco, CA) in April 2010.

Interview

I was asked all the usual questions. The person who interviewed me was very nice. he told me about his experience at Mercer. The first thing we did was to go over my resume and talk about my experience. A huge part of the interview was me asking questions. It seems that their strategy at least in that interview was to see how you can perform in asking questions that are relevant.

Actuarial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Mercer (San Francisco, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

On campus recruiting, UC Berkeley. They interviewed 14 candidates for the first round at UC Berkeley, and I'm not sure how many got into the second round, but I didn't and my friend also didn't. Basically, they didn't ask any technical questions. All behavior questions, so it's easy to prepare.