Merck Chemist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Merck Chemist Interview Questions

3.1

8 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Staff Chemist Interview

Interview

very well admitted provided a very generous lunch and dinner. Smooth interview staff very friendly and professional. It took 1 day to get an offer. Very good sign up bonus. Nice people.

Senior CHEMIST Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rahway, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Merck (Rahway, NJ) in October 2011.

Interview

Company moves somewhat slowly through the interview process. After an initial phone interview with the hiring manager and team leader, two weeks later an on-site interview was extended.

Aside from accomodations being set quickly by the travel department, most aspects of the 1:1 interview were poorly planned. Didn't receive a schedule for the day until right before dinner the night before. Dinner was with two team leaders. The full interview day began with a research presentation followed by a total of 7 1:1 interviews, which ranged from casual discussion to questions about research. Never heard back with either an offer or rejection. Most people were pleasant to talk to; some were quieter than others and required more leading of the discussion.

Interview Questions

• How do you think you would make this compound?   Answer Question
    • Was there ever a time when you had to convince your boss to see things your way?   Answer Question

Chemist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rahway, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Merck (Rahway, NJ) in October 2008.

Interview

It was strictly a social inteview. Can you put a coherent sentence together? It was the simplest interview I've had in a long time but a hiring freeze kept an offer from being extended. In the end, it led to another interview which led to an offer from another department

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you had to deal with an uncomfortable scenario involving your supervisor. How did you resolve the problem?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation involving a problem involving a coworker. What was the problem and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Medicinal Chemist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Point, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Merck (West Point, PA) in July 2008.

Interview

I had applied for a medicinal chemistry job prior to getting this interview and was contacted directly by the hiring manager about a different opportunity. The interview was a full day, in 30 minute increments speaking with different scientists, mainly PhD chemists. They did ask many technical questions, mostly about the research summary I had provided. There was a dinner the night before with two associate scientists so that you could ask questions about the interview etc.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is going on in this reaction? (Asking about a reaction in my research summary.)   Answer Question

Global Technical Operations (GTO) Chemist (Analytical) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Merck (Singapore (Singapore)).

Interview

The interview process was straightforward, consisting of a competency-based individual assessment and interview, group activity and group panel interview.

The group activity involved solving a given scenario and presenting the group's findings and underlying motivations.

Medicinal Chemist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Merck in February 2011.

Interview

I received an email to conduct a phone interview with a scientist from Merck. The interview was mostly behavioral with some questions about past experience and also questions about what the most challenging things I have done were.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Analytical Chemist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Merck in October 2010.

Interview

very quick . interviewers were lovely and i was contacted the next day

Senior Research Chemist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merck (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in January 2009.

Interview

Scientific presentation, meet with different teams, technical as well as personality evaluations

Interview Questions

• What would you do if they would can your project and you with it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation