Merck Manufacturing Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Merck Manufacturing Interview Questions

3.1

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merck.

Interview

I went to a networking night and info session and met with several Merck employees. I applied online and about a week or so later was emailed about an online assessment. It was essentially a personality test and also examined analytical capabilities. It took a little over an hour and was split into sections. In one of the sections, I had to skip a question because I ran out of time. 4-5 days later I was contacted about setting up a phone screening. The phone screening took about 30 minutes. I am waiting to hear back about the next rounds of interviews, and should hear back within the next week and a half.

Interview Questions

• Why Merck? What do you do outside of school/work? What was your most gratifying experience work experience?   Answer Question

Manufacturing Facilitator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Point, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Merck (West Point, PA) in December 2015.

Interview

Applied online in October. Had a telephone screen in November. Took a personality test in November. Had a face to face interview with a panel of managers in December. Received a call that they cancelled the posting in February.

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Merck (State College, PA) in October 2015.

Interview

Three behavioral questions. One technical question. A very cookie cutter interview with little time to share your personality with the person conducting the interview. The behavioral questions were mainly about how to deal with conflict with fellow employees and how you deal with major problems that affect your ability to finish a project on time. The interview was very relaxed and the interviewer allowed me to skip a behavioral question and come back to it. The technical question was a standard reaction design type question that you would see in ChE classes.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you experienced an issue that affected your ability to finish a project on time. How did you deal with that issue to ensure that you finished your project by the deadline?   Answer Question

Manufacturing Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Point, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Merck (West Point, PA) in April 2012.

Interview

Applied for position through mercks website. Heard back a month later and took a personality test online at home. I was contacted by HR and set up an interview which was another month after the personality test.

Interview Questions

• You are a manufacturing supervisor coming on to a new shift and give out assignments to your biotechs. One of the biotechs is very unhappy with their assignment and causes a scene in front of everybody and now your on the spot. Do you change their assignment because they are complaining? How would you handle the situation?   Answer Question
    • You see someone taking a shortcut in the clearly defined SOP's . How would you handle the situation?   Answer Question
    • Explain a situation where you had to adapt to change rapidly and explain how you handled it and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • Why Merck?   Answer Question
    • Walk me through your resume.   Answer Question

Manufacturing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Merck (Durham, NC) in November 2011.

Interview

Initially I applied online, several days later I received on online personality survey to complete, 4 weeks later I had a brief phone interview, a week later I had a 3 hour on-site computerized test, 2 weeks later had a panel/round robin style interview with three different departments that lasted over 3 hours. 2 weeks later I received a notification by email that I did not get the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a problem you encountered and how you solved it and made improvements.   Answer Question

Merck Manufacturing Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitehouse Station, NJ

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Merck (Whitehouse Station, NJ) in October 2009.

Interview

Merck came onto the UC Berkeley Campus in Fall 2009 during an infosession hosted by the UC Berkeley Chapter of AIChE (American Institute of Chemical Engineers). After submitting my resume via On-Campus Recruiting (OCR), I was invited for an interview at the UC Berkeley Career Center.

On the day of the interview, I was interviewed by a man with a Ph.D degree in Chemical Engineering who worked in the vaccines division. Most of the questions were behavioral, asking you to demonstrate instances in which you took charge in a team or had experience with conflict resolution within a team. Make sure to prepare examples for these behavioral-type questions beforehand. At the end of the interview, I was given an open-ended technical problem that I was asked to propose a solution to. This problem regarded the use of fermenters to produce biologics and how to detect contamination of the product or determine when was the optimal harvest times, etc. This problem was probably designed to test how you think as an engineer.

Overall, I felt that my interview went okay as I felt I could have provided a better solution to the technical problem. However, I felt my interviewer was the typical engineer stereotype in which he wasn't very engaging and didn't smile at me at all; he wasn't friendly or unfriendly, simply neutral and I was unable to tell if he was interested in me at all.

Two weeks later, I heard back and was not invited back to proceed with the Interview Process.

The MMDP program I applied for is apparently a very competitive rotational program.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you worked in a team and had to deal with someone who had a very different opinion from you. What did you do?   Answer Question
    • (You're given a sheet of paper with a diagram of a fermenter with a stirrer inside. There is a CO2 outlet and sample outlet and a couple of inputs such as cells, nutrients, etc.) The culture within the fermenter relies on glucose as one of its nutrients. How would you test for contamination of a batch with the given system? How would you determine when the product is ready to be taken to the next stage in the product-development process?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Merck in November 2011.

Interview

I applied to Merck's MMD Fellowship Program which is basically a scholarship and a paid summer internship at a Merck manufacturing facility.

Less than a week after the application submission deadline, I was informed had I been invited to an interview.

The interview was a 1:1 with a senior engineer. It lasted about 45 minutes. There was only 5-6 questions and were all situational as in "tell me a time when....". So be prepared to tell them when you led a team, when you encountered conflict working in a team ,etc. Also be prepared to talk about a recent project you worked on, also be able to explain a time when you developed an innovative solution to a problem. Finally, know your resume as they may ask you question off it.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you developed an innovative solution to a problem   Answer Question

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Merck in August 2007.

Interview

Phone interview screening, then a round robin type of interview with managers. Many behavior questions were asked but the interviews were long. The work culture will take time to adjust. Some people are smart others are completely lazy.