Merck Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Merck Interview Questions

Updated Apr 19, 2017

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rahway, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merck (Rahway, NJ) in December 2016.

Interview

Took about 1 month to receive a call back. Three interviews took place. Asked questions about prior experience and skill sets. Explained what would occur during the internship.

Interview Questions

• A time where you needed to meet a deadline, and what you did to complete the task.   Answer Question

Marketing Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitehouse, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merck (Whitehouse, NJ) in December 2016.

Interview

I love Merck. They were a customer of mine when I worked at an insurance company years ago. More recently, I have followed them through my career in the healthcare industry because of my love of animals and respect for the company in developing out this division of the company to help animals live better lives. I LOVE the Talent Tuesdays announcements on LinkedIn and applied for one of the jobs. I also wrote through LinkedIn mail to the head of Marketing to let her know of my passion and desire to work for the company. I NEVER GOT A RESPONSE. None. Wow.

I was also contacted for a more traditional role at Merck. I spoke with an internal recruiter. He said he was really interested, they were hiring a lot of new people and he would be in touch within a week. Never heard back. I wrote, called and was very professional. I am disappointed in the responsiveness and lack of consumer friendly approach to candidates. I still believe I would love to work for the company. Now even more to help improve the candidate process!

Interview Questions

• About my past experience sourcing.   1 Answer

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Whitehouse Station, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merck (Whitehouse Station, NJ) in November 2016.

Interview

I was contacted through LinkedIn. Recruiter liked my background and did a phone screen. She set me up for a phone interview with hiring manager within 2 weeks. I was invited for f2f 2 weeks later. The process went as expected. Extremely professional staff and they made all arrangements for travel covering all expenses.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?
      Tell me about how you manage conflict with a superior?
      What can you bring to the table?
      Answer Question

Negotiation

Just negotiated salary as initial offered was 30k lowered than what I was making at previous job. However, benefits seem very generous and competitive such as almost 5 weeks vacation to start.

Leadership Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Whitehouse Station, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Merck (Whitehouse Station, NJ).

Interview

There was an initial 30 minute phone screen then they invited me on site for a half day long interview. The on site interview consisted of a 1:1, 1:2 (me and 2 Merck employees), and a group discussion with the other interviewees.

Interview Questions

• Typical behavioral questions such as, "tell me about a time when you were a leader," "tell me about a time when you had to make a difficult decision."   Answer Question

Research Lab Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Merck.

Interview

They asked me for the interest of summer interning at Merck via email. I sent my CV and expressed my interest. After one phone interview, they asked for several proof of my coding ability and talked about their research interest by providing several materials for exposure of your summer project. In one week after interview, they offered me the opportunity to be a summer intern.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merck.

Interview

I went to a networking night and info session and met with several Merck employees. I applied online and about a week or so later was emailed about an online assessment. It was essentially a personality test and also examined analytical capabilities. It took a little over an hour and was split into sections. In one of the sections, I had to skip a question because I ran out of time. 4-5 days later I was contacted about setting up a phone screening. The phone screening took about 30 minutes. I am waiting to hear back about the next rounds of interviews, and should hear back within the next week and a half.

Interview Questions

• Why Merck? What do you do outside of school/work? What was your most gratifying experience work experience?   Answer Question

Senior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Merck (Santa Barbara, CA).

Interview

You will have 45 minutes presentation on your PhD and postdoc research + 7 1:1 45 minutes interview with scientists and directors. I also had a dinner with 2 directors the night before

Interview Questions

• Are you experienced in training and mentoring young scientists?   Answer Question

Senior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rahway, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Merck (Rahway, NJ) in October 2016.

Interview

First some recruiters came by campus at my university where I gave a 20-30 minute presentation on my research. After this initial interaction, I was invited for an on-site interview in Rahway, NJ. The day before, I met with some new scientists who have been working with Merck for about a year for dinner. This was very relaxed and casual.

The following morning consisted of a 45-50 minute presentation of my research followed by Q&A. Everything they asked was very positive and thoughtful. The rest of the day was filled with seven 45-minute one-on-one "interviews". I use quotations because it did not feel like interviews; it was just more casual conversations talking about research and what it's like to work at Merck. Make sure you have questions prepared even if you have to repeat it to different people. You can also ask them to talk about their research projects.

Even though I had a very positive interview experience at Merck, they ultimately decided not to give me an offer because I did not have post-doctoral experience. I was surprised by this because everyone gave me positive feedback. I guess if you're a Ph.D. student competing against Ph.D. + Post-doc candidates, it puts you at a disadvantage instantly.

Interview Questions

• Q: How would you synthesize this molecule?
      Q: Why are you interested in Merck?

Biochemist 11 Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Merck (Arlington, VA).

Interview

I had a phone interview with merck the following g question were asked. Tell us about yourself, discuss a situation that you showed initiative, they focus on my past experience that relate to the job and they want me to work then through my day to day activities. Ask for reasons why some process are being carried out

Interview Questions

• Work me through your day to day activity   1 Answer

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Point, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Merck (West Point, PA) in October 2016.

Interview

Online application, several weeks later was contacted by HR, for each position I interviewed with HR via phone, then was scheduled my interviews with the depts Admin. Whole process from Applying to interview took ~4-6 weeks

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this dept?
      What are your strengths? Weaknesses?
      Run us through your resume
      Give an example of a time you had to collaborate with other teams, lead other teams...
      Give an example you faced a complex problem and how did you resolve it?
      -Asked specific questions towards metrics on my resume