Merck Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Merck Interview Questions

Updated Apr 19, 2017

Operations Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Merck.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted via phone three weeks later for a phone interview that was conducted immediately. After phone interview, I was contacted 4 days later to schedule an in-person interview with various managers and directors. In-person interview lasted about five hours, different people from various group interviewed me and at I got a tour of the facility afterwards. I received an offer about two weeks after the in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Many questions about scenarios: "how would you handle....."   Answer Question

Supervisor/Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merck in May 2016.

Interview

Received a call for an on-site interview; one week later conducted an on-site tour and interviewed with six managers; six business days later was offered a position, now in the urinalysis and background check phase. Very smooth, thorough and speedy.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Since I did not need the relocation package, I asked for cash as a substitute. It was approved.

Interview

Phone interview then face to face. Used STAR method. Then a ride along with a current employee. Everyone was lovely and seemed to enjoy where they were working. They hired me then had a hiring freeze and I had to wait 3 months for the job to start.

Senior Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merck in May 2016.

Interview

I first had two separate phone interviews with the hiring manager and the director. A week later, I was brought in for an on-site interview. The interview included several 45-minute meetings with principal scientists and high-ranked directors throughout the day, lunch with potential co-workers, and a scientific presentation. Very nice people and great conversations. The hiring manager followed up on the next day to express their interest level and extended the offer a month later.

Scientist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kenilworth, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Merck (Kenilworth, NJ) in May 2016.

Interview

Initially, it was a phone interview with the hiring manager. However, it took them couple of months to get back to me. I was invited to Merck's huge site at Kenilworth, NJ. The on-site interview was a day long interview and several of the interviews had 2 people interviewing at the same time. The interview also included an hour-long seminar. They also scheduled a lab tour in the agenda. Each person usually had a set of questions they would ask from. The questions were mixed between technical scenarios and behavioral type.

Interview Questions

• When transferring a continuous-feeding process to contract manufacturer, the CMO insists that they would follow a bolus-type feeding rather than the continuous process developed in-house. What is your decision? Will you agree with CMO's recommendations or not?   Answer Question

I Applied for Several Jobs Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gwynedd, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merck (Gwynedd, PA) in May 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed over the phone, subsequently had a face to face interviews for at least 3 jobs. I had individual personal interviews and also group interviews for senior scientist/leader level opportunities. All the interviewers acknowledged my strong background and global drug development experience. However, i never got any timely results outcome till today. The HR folks did not show any interest to notify the results. The HR Vp at merck should take a note of this and rectify the interview process at Merck soon.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were difficult. They wanted to know real life questions and how i resolved them   Answer Question

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merck (Tulsa, OK) in May 2016.

Interview

Started with an employee referal, and very shorty go email from recruiter requesting phone interview. Phone Interview set up for about a week later, this was through In Ventiv recruiter and lasted about 20 minutes. Then face to face interview with two managers (one hour with one, then one hour with the other).

Interview Questions

• Phone Interview-- Why Pharmaceutical Sales?
      In person--Tell me a time when you went above and beyond for a client.
      In person--Tell me a time when you had to change your sales strategy mid-conversation.
      Answer Question

Associate Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kenilworth, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merck (Kenilworth, NJ).

Interview

Brought in for "super-day". Had dinner with Merck employees and 3 other candidates the night before interview. Interviewed from 9 AM to 5 PM meeting mostly everyone in the department.

Interview Questions

• How would you optimize media with 6 different types of media. Asked a lot of "Design of Experiment" questions.   Answer Question
    • How would you handle a situation where one of your co-workers was messy and would not clean up after themselves?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merck.

Interview

the interview process was long: long waiting period for final decision. employees were very friendly, but did not seem very organized in scheduling interview. HR did not contact me until after the interview was already scheduled.

Interview Questions

• how would you deal with someone who treated contractors differently than employees?   Answer Question

Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Merck (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

It was by far one of the best interviews I've ever been through. All the managers at Merck are very professional, smart, driven, and comforting. Coming from someone who doesn't have any pharma experience, it was nice to have them ask questions about my background rather than questioning my inexperience. Remember to keep positive and motivated!