Merck Interview Questions in New Jersey | Glassdoor

Merck Interview Questions in New Jersey

Updated Apr 24, 2017

Associate Specialist, Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Elizabeth, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Merck (Elizabeth, NJ).

Interview

1 HR phone interview , 3 in person interview, 2 phone interview with director. Asked to go over resume and professional goals and where do you see your self. How soon can you join.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work with Merck? What do you do in current position?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rahway, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merck (Rahway, NJ) in December 2016.

Interview

Took about 1 month to receive a call back. Three interviews took place. Asked questions about prior experience and skill sets. Explained what would occur during the internship.

Interview Questions

• A time where you needed to meet a deadline, and what you did to complete the task.   Answer Question

Marketing Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitehouse, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merck (Whitehouse, NJ) in December 2016.

Interview

I love Merck. They were a customer of mine when I worked at an insurance company years ago. More recently, I have followed them through my career in the healthcare industry because of my love of animals and respect for the company in developing out this division of the company to help animals live better lives. I LOVE the Talent Tuesdays announcements on LinkedIn and applied for one of the jobs. I also wrote through LinkedIn mail to the head of Marketing to let her know of my passion and desire to work for the company. I NEVER GOT A RESPONSE. None. Wow.

I was also contacted for a more traditional role at Merck. I spoke with an internal recruiter. He said he was really interested, they were hiring a lot of new people and he would be in touch within a week. Never heard back. I wrote, called and was very professional. I am disappointed in the responsiveness and lack of consumer friendly approach to candidates. I still believe I would love to work for the company. Now even more to help improve the candidate process!

Interview Questions

• About my past experience sourcing.   1 Answer

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Merck (Newark, NJ) in December 2016.

Interview

Interview was a mix of behavioral and technical questions. two back to back 45 min interviews. The behavioral part was simple and nothing out of the extraordinary, but technical questions were semi-case Financial questions.

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Whitehouse Station, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merck (Whitehouse Station, NJ) in November 2016.

Interview

I was contacted through LinkedIn. Recruiter liked my background and did a phone screen. She set me up for a phone interview with hiring manager within 2 weeks. I was invited for f2f 2 weeks later. The process went as expected. Extremely professional staff and they made all arrangements for travel covering all expenses.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?
      Tell me about how you manage conflict with a superior?
      What can you bring to the table?
      Answer Question

Negotiation

Just negotiated salary as initial offered was 30k lowered than what I was making at previous job. However, benefits seem very generous and competitive such as almost 5 weeks vacation to start.

Leadership Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Whitehouse Station, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Merck (Whitehouse Station, NJ).

Interview

There was an initial 30 minute phone screen then they invited me on site for a half day long interview. The on site interview consisted of a 1:1, 1:2 (me and 2 Merck employees), and a group discussion with the other interviewees.

Interview Questions

• Typical behavioral questions such as, "tell me about a time when you were a leader," "tell me about a time when you had to make a difficult decision."   Answer Question

Senior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rahway, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Merck (Rahway, NJ) in October 2016.

Interview

First some recruiters came by campus at my university where I gave a 20-30 minute presentation on my research. After this initial interaction, I was invited for an on-site interview in Rahway, NJ. The day before, I met with some new scientists who have been working with Merck for about a year for dinner. This was very relaxed and casual.

The following morning consisted of a 45-50 minute presentation of my research followed by Q&A. Everything they asked was very positive and thoughtful. The rest of the day was filled with seven 45-minute one-on-one "interviews". I use quotations because it did not feel like interviews; it was just more casual conversations talking about research and what it's like to work at Merck. Make sure you have questions prepared even if you have to repeat it to different people. You can also ask them to talk about their research projects.

Even though I had a very positive interview experience at Merck, they ultimately decided not to give me an offer because I did not have post-doctoral experience. I was surprised by this because everyone gave me positive feedback. I guess if you're a Ph.D. student competing against Ph.D. + Post-doc candidates, it puts you at a disadvantage instantly.

Interview Questions

• Q: How would you synthesize this molecule?
      Q: Why are you interested in Merck?
      Answer Question

Product Owner API Development and Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Branchburg, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merck (Branchburg, NJ) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Interview on Webex/Slack. Flew in to Merck's Branchburg IT hub. Met with Hinkla and Tomaz both product owners.
    Wasted time, paid own flight to NJ, uber to and from NJ airport to Branchburg. interview could be done remotely.

Interview Questions

• As a PO you met with two VPs who want their Biopham compliance documents in digital format. Describe how you would go about this in 10 minutes   1 Answer

Scientist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kenilworth, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Merck (Kenilworth, NJ) in May 2016.

Interview

Initially, it was a phone interview with the hiring manager. However, it took them couple of months to get back to me. I was invited to Merck's huge site at Kenilworth, NJ. The on-site interview was a day long interview and several of the interviews had 2 people interviewing at the same time. The interview also included an hour-long seminar. They also scheduled a lab tour in the agenda. Each person usually had a set of questions they would ask from. The questions were mixed between technical scenarios and behavioral type.

Interview Questions

• When transferring a continuous-feeding process to contract manufacturer, the CMO insists that they would follow a bolus-type feeding rather than the continuous process developed in-house. What is your decision? Will you agree with CMO's recommendations or not?   Answer Question

Associate Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kenilworth, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merck (Kenilworth, NJ).

Interview

Brought in for "super-day". Had dinner with Merck employees and 3 other candidates the night before interview. Interviewed from 9 AM to 5 PM meeting mostly everyone in the department.

Interview Questions

• How would you optimize media with 6 different types of media. Asked a lot of "Design of Experiment" questions.   Answer Question
    • How would you handle a situation where one of your co-workers was messy and would not clean up after themselves?   Answer Question