Merck Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Merck Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview Questions

Interviews at Merck

3.6

Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Merck.

Interview

Interviewed by the potential district manager. They wanted to see how you would react on the spot, for example: "how would you sell me this pen?". They were looking for strong soft skills, and the ability to interact with many different personalities. A positive attitude plus a very competitive edge combined with the potential to lead among district members (usually 12) was a winner.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Merck

Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Merck (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

It was by far one of the best interviews I've ever been through. All the managers at Merck are very professional, smart, driven, and comforting. Coming from someone who doesn't have any pharma experience, it was nice to have them ask questions about my background rather than questioning my inexperience. Remember to keep positive and motivated!

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Merck (Chicago, IL) in October 2011.

Interview

There was a phone screen with was brief and a interview with three people in a group interview
    Questions were relatively basic and no tricks. Very professional environment
    Was offered the job about a week later. I have heard other drug companies can drag their feet and require much more.
    The sales mangers at Merck actually conducted the interviews and they had a lot of freedom to make decisions.

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Merck in December 2014.

Interview

No phone screen. Asked to interview in person for a position that needed filled quickly. Met with two gentlemen, one was much more laid back and "down to earth." The other asked a series of "typical" questions (describe a time when you had experienced a conflict at work and how you resolved it). Refer to the STAR format...it works. Decision was made in a week. I was second in line, but given I didn't have pharm sales exp prior, the other candidate was extended an offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time (at work) that your ethical/moral compass was challenged and what you did?   Answer Question

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Merck.

Interview

Very long and arduous. We were brought into a hotel with different shifts of interview. We individually met with two different hiring managers- not necessarily your own. This was on top of several initial phone interviews. Then I met with my hiring manager separately and then had to wait for approval etc. It took a total of 2-3 months- including the offer- by the time I went off to training.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not too bad. The manager offered me one amount- I came back with another and he met me a number we could both agree upon. I was instructed to do this by a current employee who did not counter-offer and was not happy she didn't. Too many people want the job so bad- they jump at the initial offer. Of course they aren't going to give you the best offer up front- and after all of this interview process- aren't going to turn you away without at least saying no. At least you tried and they will remember that. It shows tenacity.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Merck (Bronx, NY) in March 2011.

Interview

The key to responding to an off-the-wall question is not to let it rattle you. Don't adopt a deer-in-the-headlights look if you get hit with one of these funky queries. Simply smile, take a deep breathe, and take a moment to compose your response. A little bit of silence is better than blurting out something even sillier than the question. You don't have to brilliant. You don't have to be witty. Just be yourself and give an honest response. If worse comes to worst, and you absolutely cannot think of an answer, ask if you can come back to that question later. You may lose a few thinking-on-your-feet points, but you'll gain points for handling a difficult situation with poise.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest fault?   1 Answer

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Merck in June 2009.

Interview

Interviewed with 2 DMS individually, then an interview with the Regional a ride along and then came the offer.

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Merck.

Interview

Now using InVentiv and Publicis for all external hiring. STAR format used for all interviews.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time that you have tried and failed?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Little room for negotiation. It used to be based entirely on your current salary, now I think it is a standard amount... regardless of whether you are making more than that- take it or leave it because they have so many people looking for a job. Internal sales reps that move to different sales divisions are now considered lateral moves with no raise in pay.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Merck (New York, NY) in July 2009.

Interview

Multiple rounds of interview - most difficult was onsite with Four managers and meeting with them individually. All personality questions. As soon as I was done speaking with one, I would go back to the waiting room with a number of other candidates. It's important to know that the managers talk among themselves as they interview candidates - by the time I got to the last manager she told me she had already received a lot of good feedback from the other three and that she wanted to get to know me better during a third round interview by herself. The questions where all behavioral questions. PS Note this was not in 2009 but 2006.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation process unfortunately - I was just happy to get a job out of college.

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merck.

Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. I had a phone interview with the recruiter, followed by an online assessment. I then had a web interview with the hiring manager the next week, and an in person interview a couple weeks after.

Interview Questions

• Who is someone you know that is better than you at something important to you.   1 Answer