Merck Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Merck Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview Questions

3.6

21 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merck (Tulsa, OK) in May 2016.

Interview

Started with an employee referal, and very shorty go email from recruiter requesting phone interview. Phone Interview set up for about a week later, this was through In Ventiv recruiter and lasted about 20 minutes. Then face to face interview with two managers (one hour with one, then one hour with the other).

Interview Questions

• Phone Interview-- Why Pharmaceutical Sales?
    In person--Tell me a time when you went above and beyond for a client.
    In person--Tell me a time when you had to change your sales strategy mid-conversation.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Merck

Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Merck (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

It was by far one of the best interviews I've ever been through. All the managers at Merck are very professional, smart, driven, and comforting. Coming from someone who doesn't have any pharma experience, it was nice to have them ask questions about my background rather than questioning my inexperience. Remember to keep positive and motivated!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Merck (Kansas City, MO).

Interview

It was through a third party and consisted of various paperwork, a phone call interview, a video recording answering questions on the spot, and one final 40 min interview with the territory manager.

Interview Questions

• "If you had a rare opportunity to give a presentation in front of your district manager, but your presentation was not quite ready, it just wasn't up to pare, but it was still good. Would you reschedule your presentation or give it anyways?"

"Who is the most important person for you to talk to when you enter a physicians office?"

"How would you determine what the more important clinics are to go to first?"   1 Answer

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Merck.

Interview

Similar to other pharma companies. The standard S.T.A.R. format; The STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) format is a job interview technique used by interviewers to gather all the relevant information about a specific capability that the job requires. This interview format is said[by whom?] to have a higher degree of predictability of future on-the-job performance than the traditional interview. This technique is a behavioral interview technique.

Interview Questions

• Situation: The interviewer wants you to present a recent challenge and situation in which you found yourself.
      Task: What did you have to achieve? The interviewer will be looking to see what you were trying to achieve from the situation.
      Action: What did you do? The interviewer will be looking for information on what you did, why you did it and what the alternatives were.
      Results: What was the outcome of your actions? What did you achieve through your actions and did you meet your objectives? What did you learn from this experience and have you used this learning since?   Answer Question

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Merck in December 2014.

Interview

No phone screen. Asked to interview in person for a position that needed filled quickly. Met with two gentlemen, one was much more laid back and "down to earth." The other asked a series of "typical" questions (describe a time when you had experienced a conflict at work and how you resolved it). Refer to the STAR format...it works. Decision was made in a week. I was second in line, but given I didn't have pharm sales exp prior, the other candidate was extended an offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time (at work) that your ethical/moral compass was challenged and what you did?   Answer Question

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Merck.

Interview

Very long and arduous. We were brought into a hotel with different shifts of interview. We individually met with two different hiring managers- not necessarily your own. This was on top of several initial phone interviews. Then I met with my hiring manager separately and then had to wait for approval etc. It took a total of 2-3 months- including the offer- by the time I went off to training.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not too bad. The manager offered me one amount- I came back with another and he met me a number we could both agree upon. I was instructed to do this by a current employee who did not counter-offer and was not happy she didn't. Too many people want the job so bad- they jump at the initial offer. Of course they aren't going to give you the best offer up front- and after all of this interview process- aren't going to turn you away without at least saying no. At least you tried and they will remember that. It shows tenacity.

Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Merck.

Interview

Interviewed by the potential district manager. They wanted to see how you would react on the spot, for example: "how would you sell me this pen?". They were looking for strong soft skills, and the ability to interact with many different personalities. A positive attitude plus a very competitive edge combined with the potential to lead among district members (usually 12) was a winner.

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Merck.

Interview

Now using InVentiv and Publicis for all external hiring. STAR format used for all interviews.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time that you have tried and failed?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Little room for negotiation. It used to be based entirely on your current salary, now I think it is a standard amount... regardless of whether you are making more than that- take it or leave it because they have so many people looking for a job. Internal sales reps that move to different sales divisions are now considered lateral moves with no raise in pay.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Merck (Atlanta, GA) in October 2012.

Interview

Basic standard questions; with a requested STAR response. Know specific situations you overcame adversity, or overcame objections. Be able to recall an entire sales process from the start of the sale to the conclusion. Note the special things you did, why you did them, how you gained the information to do them, did you have to try more than once. In the end what was your result and did it continue moving forward.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were out of options in a sales process, what did you do. Answer using STAR   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Juan, PR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merck (San Juan, PR) in February 2012.

Interview

The interview and hiring process is long and basically by referral. Different people involvedin the interview an hiring process. STAR questions. Very focused on experience and Customer relations. You feel comfortable if you are very prepared for the interview process. If not, the interviewer immediately will show lack of interest in the process

Interview Questions

• Which are the most important keys to reach your sales goals?   1 Answer