Merck Senior Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Merck Senior Scientist Interview Questions

Updated Nov 3, 2016

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Merck (Santa Barbara, CA).

Interview

You will have 45 minutes presentation on your PhD and postdoc research + 7 1:1 45 minutes interview with scientists and directors. I also had a dinner with 2 directors the night before

Interview Questions

• Are you experienced in training and mentoring young scientists?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Merck

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rahway, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Merck (Rahway, NJ) in October 2016.

Interview

First some recruiters came by campus at my university where I gave a 20-30 minute presentation on my research. After this initial interaction, I was invited for an on-site interview in Rahway, NJ. The day before, I met with some new scientists who have been working with Merck for about a year for dinner. This was very relaxed and casual.

The following morning consisted of a 45-50 minute presentation of my research followed by Q&A. Everything they asked was very positive and thoughtful. The rest of the day was filled with seven 45-minute one-on-one "interviews". I use quotations because it did not feel like interviews; it was just more casual conversations talking about research and what it's like to work at Merck. Make sure you have questions prepared even if you have to repeat it to different people. You can also ask them to talk about their research projects.

Even though I had a very positive interview experience at Merck, they ultimately decided not to give me an offer because I did not have post-doctoral experience. I was surprised by this because everyone gave me positive feedback. I guess if you're a Ph.D. student competing against Ph.D. + Post-doc candidates, it puts you at a disadvantage instantly.

Interview Questions

• Q: How would you synthesize this molecule?
      Q: Why are you interested in Merck?
      Answer Question

Senior Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merck.

Interview

First s phone screen with a high ranking team member. Then face to face with 7 interviews throughout a 3/4 of the day. Surprised that they did not ask for a presentation.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Merck (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Great process, very direct, it is a great company, nice people, a great workplace and organized. Caused a great impresion, the interview process was smooth and direct to the point.

Interview Questions

• Known experiences, how did you learn of us, what are your experiences, what do you know about the company, what are your salary expectation, what experience do you have that would help us   Answer Question

Senior Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merck in May 2016.

Interview

I first had two separate phone interviews with the hiring manager and the director. A week later, I was brought in for an on-site interview. The interview included several 45-minute meetings with principal scientists and high-ranked directors throughout the day, lunch with potential co-workers, and a scientific presentation. Very nice people and great conversations. The hiring manager followed up on the next day to express their interest level and extended the offer a month later.

Senior Scientist Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Merck in February 2016.

Interview

My interview has two sections: a full-day scientific interview and a half-an-hour HR interview. The scientific interview starts with a seminar presentation, and I receive tons of questions in Q & A. What follows is one-to-one conversation with people working in the team till the end of the day. All conversations are quite casual and further questions about my research are asked. They want to know if I am good at science and if my personality fits the team. The overall experience is very positive, despite I feel a bit exhausted in the end. As for the HR interview, it's a brief conversation on the phone and a few general behavior questions are asked.

Senior Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Merck.

Interview

Merck visited graduate institution for on-campus interviews. Informal first-round interview with on-campus recruiter. Pleasant interview and more of a conversation. Contacted a week later for a phone-interview with R&D Director and a 2nd phone interview with another Director. Phone interviews standard: explanation of personal research, 4-5 HR questions, and explanation of job responsibilities (30 - 60 min). Phone-interviews formal, but once again very pleasant. On-site interview 4 weeks later. Day consisted of five-six 45 min in-person/teleconference interviews with different directors of R&D and VP R&D at site. Most of conversations revolved around graduate research and fairly informal discussions. Once again, great conversations and people. Interviewers made me feel comfortable and confident. 45 minute presentation of research in the middle of day. Contacted week later for follow-up questions and company explaining their interest level in me as candidate. Job offered one month later via phone call.

Interview Questions

• What is one quality of your current boss you do not like?   Answer Question

Senior Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Merck in September 2014.

Interview

First, I had a phone interview with the hiring manager, then I was brought in for an on-site interview at West Point. I gave a 45-minute presentation in the morning, then went through 45-minute 1-1 interviews the rest of the day. They asked HR questions, technical questions, and were generally just trying to get to know me, and me, them.

Senior Scientist Interview

Interview

No interview, transitioned into Merck after merger with Schering-Plough

Interview Questions

• There were no questions asked. Evaluations were made after merger went through and employees were absorbed into Merck.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Merck (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

Everyone was kind, courteous and very welcoming in the interview. They answered every question I had about the company, and vice-versa. Overall, the interview process was a very good experience.