Merkle Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Merkle Interview Questions

Updated May 25, 2017

3.2

Account Director Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merkle.

Interview

Applied online, received a response from HR gal within a few days, asking for my availability for a call. 28 minutes later, I received an automated email rejection for the same role. I replied directly to the HR rep, letting her know my availability (assuming the auto-email may have been an oversight within their system). Two days later I received a follow-up email from the same HR rep, confirming the date/time for our call. 9 minutes later she replied again, saying "Disregard" because they will not be moving forward. One sentence. No explanation or apology for the confusion.

Wildly unprofessional and disrespectful of candidates. Reading some other comments here, it seems to be the norm for Merkle. Glad I didn't waste any time with the call. Amazing to me that a company doesn't understand basic professionalism in this day and age. Inexcusable.

SEM Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Merkle (Charlottesville, VA).

Interview

Talked to recruiter at college career fair, phone interview, onsite interview. HR person was friendly and helpful, seemed to be actually interested if I got the job or not. There was some delay between the phone screen and in person interview which was slightly annoying considering I'm a college student and had to plan to drive to their office.

Digital Media Analyst Interview

Interview

First had a phone interview, then a couple months later an in-person interview. At the on-site interview, there were two one-hour sessions, each with two interviewers. After the interview, I was notified of their decision within a few days.

Interview Questions

• Describe a technical concept as if you were explaining it to someone with little technical background.   Answer Question

Digital Media Specialist Interview

Interview

I was emailed to do a phone screening. We scheduled the screening to happen a few days later. 10 minutes before the screening, I get an email from the recruiter that this position has been filled.

Thanks for making me hold off going into work on time to take this interview just so your recruiter realized this position was filled. That was incredibly inconsiderate.

Digital Analyst Interview

Interview

Applied online, was contacted for a phone interview. Scheduled time came and went, and no one called. Sent a follow up email to reschedule, no reply. Never heard from them again. In my experience the way a company treats you as a candidate is pretty indicative of how they'll treat you as an employee - can't say this was an encouraging experience.

Email Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merkle (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

Phone screening with HR which led to a second interview with hiring manager. Third interview was 2 hour Skype with four team members scheduled for 1/2 hour with each person. HR followed up with me to ask my salary expectation and for three references. Never heard from HR again, even after I followed up a week later asking for status. If I take the time to interview, I deserve some feedback as to the final decision.

Interview Questions

• Typical interview questions - why do you want to work here? Skillset, history, etc.   Answer Question

SEO Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Merkle (Pittsburgh, PA) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online through their website and received a followup email saying if they were interested I would hear something within three weeks. Over a month later an recruiter contacted me and conducted a phone screening to learn more about my skills and discuss which entry level position I would be most successful in. The last portion was a two hour onsite interview with four employees. Everyone was very nice and most of the questions had to do with what I knew about SEO and my previous work experience.

Interview Questions

• What is something in your personal or professional life that you are passionate about?   Answer Question

SEO Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

I had a 20 minute phone screening. The questions were purely technical - not behavioral, the recruiter was silent except when questioning, and was entirely uninterested in anything other than the specific answer sought. There was no room for divergence.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Merkle? Have you done reports in Google Analytics?   Answer Question

SEO Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Merkle (Pittsburgh, PA) in January 2017.

Interview

I first met with a recruiter at my school's career fair in September of 2016. A week later, I was contacted by a recruiter to set up a phone interview for the SEM position. A few weeks later, I attended a shadow day at their office through my university, and realized I like the SEO aspect better. Weeks passed, and I heard nothing from the recruiter. Finally, around November, I contacted asking about next steps, and she informed me that it would be a month or so until any further decisions could be made. In January of 2017, I received an email saying that they wanted me to come into the office for a two-hour long interview with four team members. That Friday I had a great interview with four managers, and I thought it had gone well. I expected to hear something within the next week or so, and the recruiter reached out explaining that they were still in the interviewing process. A month or so went by, and I reached out about the hiring process. After sending one last email in April, I gave up on any hope with the company. Although the recruiter always answered my emails in a timely and professional manner (which I very much appreciated), she would always tell me that they were still hiring or hoping to make a decision soon. Long story short, I would have rather just been denied, rather then been given the run around.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merkle (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

The interview process entailed a few interviews by phone followed by an in person. None of the phone interviews had any substance — Whatsoever. It was more like a meet and greet; a dog and pony show.

When I'm asked for free strategy in an interview, it illustrates that you have no intention of hiring me. Asking an impossible question may seem like a good idea IF I'm handling P/R or looking for a seat on the board. But for a paid search postion, it shows inexperience, terrible judgement, and a lack of any real leadership capabilty. Furthermore, the resumes of the people I would be managing were not brought or disclosed. She did not have the resumes because she had to ask for a copy of mind.

All of the interviews were conducted by young women who I found to be very insecure and far from experts. They could not ask me one relevant question that was reasonable. I kept waiting throughout the process but it never happened.

The real icing on the cake? No work/life balance. I had a senior director early on tell me there was work-life balance. During the in person interview, I had a wannabe say the opposite. I say wannabe because she thinks she's highly skilled. They have politicians for managers. When you have to deceive applicants, that tells you the environment will be toxic. "Disgraceful" is an appropriate term but I'm being kind.

Interview Questions

• A document was emailed asking me to show a campaign I worked on and what I did to improve performance.   1 Answer