Merkle Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Merkle Interview Questions

Interviews at Merkle

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Merkle (Pittsburgh, PA) in January 2017.

Interview

I first met with a recruiter at my school's career fair in September of 2016. A week later, I was contacted by a recruiter to set up a phone interview for the SEM position. A few weeks later, I attended a shadow day at their office through my university, and realized I like the SEO aspect better. Weeks passed, and I heard nothing from the recruiter. Finally, around November, I contacted asking about next steps, and she informed me that it would be a month or so until any further decisions could be made. In January of 2017, I received an email saying that they wanted me to come into the office for a two-hour long interview with four team members. That Friday I had a great interview with four managers, and I thought it had gone well. I expected to hear something within the next week or so, and the recruiter reached out explaining that they were still in the interviewing process. A month or so went by, and I reached out about the hiring process. After sending one last email in April, I gave up on any hope with the company. Although the recruiter always answered my emails in a timely and professional manner (which I very much appreciated), she would always tell me that they were still hiring or hoping to make a decision soon. Long story short, I would have rather just been denied, rather then been given the run around.

SEO Specialist Interview

Interview

First, a phone interview with the recruiter, asking general questions such as desire starting date. Then a phone interview with the search director. However, the recruiter messed up with SEO & SEM, so I interviewed twice on phone before they invited me to an on-site interview.
    The in-perosn interview has 2 rounds with 2 people each. They asked more about past jobs and behavioral questions.

SEO Specialist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Merkle in June 2014.

Interview

The hiring managers were all very responsive and kept in contact regularly. They were also promptly responsive to questions. The whole process took about a month. Questions were largely behavioral with some details about related experience. It seems like they’re looking mostly for appropriate skills and tendencies for the role. Overall, the whole experience was really positive.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in Merkle and SEO?   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you took initiative to improve a process in a or task in a formal role.   Answer Question

Media Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Merkle (State College, PA) in December 2016.

Interview

First round is a phone interview. Unfortunately, they did not follow up with an interview. I was very disappointed in the professionalism of the company, regardless if they wanted to move on to second round.

Interview Questions

• Please explain the understanding of the position that I was applying for?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merkle (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Process took about 4 weeks - one phone interview and then an in-person interview at the Pittsburgh office. Received my offer within 3 days of the final interview.
     The first part of the interview was a panel of four employees asking a mix of typical behavioral questions and job-specific questions. The interviewers were very engaged and and probed a lot about my projects, internships and job experiences. Very conversational.
    The second part of the interview was a puzzle/problem solving activity directly related to the job responsibilities. It was challenging but the one interviewer who facilitated the activity was helpful and explained directions clearly. The point of this part of the interview is less focused on how well or quickly you complete it and more focused on how you employ critical and strategic thinking skills.

Interview Questions

• What part of your previous job experience do you think translates to being successful here?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Merkle (New York, NY).

Interview

First I had a short 20 min phone call with the recruiter who just asked very basic questions about my background and my interest in the role. I had another basic 20 min phone interview with the hiring manager a few days later where I again detailed my experience/interest, and then was contacted that evening via email to schedule an onsite interview with the whole team. They keep you very informed and the process moved very quickly for me. For the onsite interview, I had to prepare a presentation that detailed a past project I worked on, successes/challenges from that project, and why it's relevant to the position I applied for. I gave the presentation to 4 people total. After the presentation, you interview separately with each of the team members for 30 minutes. 3 of the team members asked me basic interview questions about my experience/interest and only took up about half of their allotted time. The last person I interviewed with asked me all of the situational/ behavioral questions (i.e. "tell me about a time when..."). I heard back about their decision the next day.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to learn something new. How did you handle this?   1 Answer
    • How do you stay organized?   Answer Question

Media Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merkle.

Interview

It was a phone interview, so I was expecting a phone screening to discuss my experiences and where I would fit within the company based on the openings. But it was a normal interview, not a screening. They asked questions about what I knew about the company, why I want to work there, etc. typical interview questions, so do your homework about Merkle and be prepared even though it is just a phone interview!!

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Merkle that makes you want to work here?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merkle (Charlottesville, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied online and a Recruiter from the HQ in MD called me within 2-3 days after that. We set up a phone interview to follow about a week later. She asked me the standard questions about my resume and we ran through all the things that I had completed since college. She was extremely nice, encouraging and helpful throughout there process. Wither it was a gimmick to make me want to work for the company or if se was being quinine about working for Merkle it worked and I was hooked and really wanted this job after. She told me she would then take her notes to her hiring managers and discuss fruiting my advancement within the hiring process of Merkle. 3 days later I received an email back saying that they wanted to me to come to Charlottesville for an onsite interview. I was then brought to an onsite interview in Charlottesville for about 2.5 hours. The first step in the process was a tour of the facility which is an awesome place to work in it seems. Then I was brought to a room where I sat with 2 women who drilled me with questions about my resume and experience. Halfway through they had me complete a puzzle that so that they could see my thought process behind my work. At the end they made me ask the questions of about 5 minutes. I was then taken into another room where the exact same scenario ensued with just two new people. Practically the same questions just a different puzzle than the first one at the end. After the two interview session I was then brought into a conference type room where I was required to present on a project that I had previously completed. They give you a guidelines of what they want you to present on before you arrive on your interview so I incorporated all of it into the presentation I had give. I left that day feeling very confident that I was going to get an offer from the company because they do a very good job making you feel welcome and on board and why would they take so much of their own personal work time to do this if they didn't want to hire you in the first place. A little less than a week later I was contacted via email by the recruiter to be told I had not been chosen for the position. Overall, I really enjoyed my experience there and if I got a job elsewhere and got some experience under my belt I would highly consider switching to this company just for their culture and zest for new media brilliance that they bring.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be at this company? Describe a project you completed? Describe a difficult situation you were put in and how you overcame it? Tell us about a time where you had to analyze a project after its completion? Tell us about a time you encountered a difficult person on a project and how you handled it?   Answer Question

Merkle Response

Apr 11, 2016 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your review! We are glad you had a good experience and got a true sense of the type of company we are. We value your time and continued interest in our company. Stay in touch!

Account Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Merkle in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Received an automated email stating that Merkle will get back in 3 weeks. Received an email from HR on the same day asking for a next day phone interview.

Interview Questions

• 1) How did learn about this job opening at Merkle?
      2) Did you hear about Merkle before applying for this job or after?
      3) Tell me about your work experience as in the resume starting from the latest, what positions did you hold, why did you leave them?
      4) Do you have experience in direct mail, email marketing and project management? Please elaborate.
      5) Salary expectation?   1 Answer

Account Director Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merkle.

Interview

Applied online, received a response from HR gal within a few days, asking for my availability for a call. 28 minutes later, I received an automated email rejection for the same role. I replied directly to the HR rep, letting her know my availability (assuming the auto-email may have been an oversight within their system). Two days later I received a follow-up email from the same HR rep, confirming the date/time for our call. 9 minutes later she replied again, saying "Disregard" because they will not be moving forward. One sentence. No explanation or apology for the confusion.

Wildly unprofessional and disrespectful of candidates. Reading some other comments here, it seems to be the norm for Merkle. Glad I didn't waste any time with the call. Amazing to me that a company doesn't understand basic professionalism in this day and age. Inexcusable.