Merkle Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 19, 2017

3.2

Paid Search Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merkle (Pittsburgh, PA) in May 2015.

Interview

First and second round interviews were conducted over the phone. First one with a recruiter at the HQs in Colombia, Md. The second one was conducted with a manager in the Chicago Office. The third round was conducted on site over 3 hours. Interviewed with 3 people of various levels of management. They asked basic questions you would expect for an intern position. After the interviews, they had me do a 1 hour Excel assessment.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Merkle (Dallas, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

1 Telephonic interview. It was mainly technical with questions from previous projects and experience. More emphasis was on Databases and Java. Questions were very basic like SQL queries, joins, indexes, and small database design. Also questions on generics, hash tables, and arraylists from Java.

Interview Questions

• 1) Question from academic projects on Algorithms. What is the need for graph algorithms?   Answer Question

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Merkle (Columbia, MD) in February 2015.

Interview

Very well organized. The scheduled was quickly set up and they were very quick from start to offer. The offer process was very organized. Overall, a very good process.

Interview Questions

• You are moving from a larger company to a smaller one - why the change?   Answer Question

Apr 30, 2015 – Corporate Recruiter

We're certain that as an HR professional you know a thing or two about interview processes and we are happy to hear this was a good experience for you. Welcome to the team!

Senior Director Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merkle.

Interview

After three phone interviews I was brought in to meet the staff, present a project then had to wait a bit to get confirmation of the interview results. The interviews were casual, but professional but there certainly is a phased approach to how Merkle hires. One of the most important parts of being hired here is to ensure fit.

Interview Questions

• One of the most interesting things about this interview process is the requirement to present a project to a group of peer and senior personnel. This presentation is a key portion of your final interview and is then evaluated by all members who attended.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Simple, straightforward.

Vice President Client Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merkle (Chicago, IL) in December 2014.

Interview

The process was long and involved many people and steps. In addition to phone and in person interviews, candidates had to also present a short presentation to the hiring team that related to the job you are applying for based on previous experience. While it does seem intimidating at first, each person in the room had to also do this to be hired (unless they got to Merkle via an acquisition), so they tend to be very kind and supportive.

Interview Questions

• What type of dirty laundry do you want to know about before joining Merkle?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Although my offer was exactly at what I was hoping for, I did negotiate and received 10% more (asked for 15% more). The hiring manager did have to go back to his boss for approval, which took approximately 1 day.

May 11, 2015 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review on our interview process.We're especially happy to hear that you seemed to enjoy the Project Review portion of the interview! Welcome to Merkle!

Data Science Team Lead Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Merkle in December 2014.

Interview

The person I talked with was quite a bit late. During the call, he seems quite distracted and did not pay much attention to the conversation - I even got a feeling I am talking to myself.

At the end, I asked what analytical tools they used for one of the projects. He first did not understand the question, and then poured the names of all the tools he knows of on me, as if he was not aware of details. Then I asked the same about different project, and the person answered something absolutely irrelevant, as if he has no idea about the job.

Interview Questions

Merkle Response

Apr 13, 2015 – Corporate Recruiter

We do our best to make sure our recruiters are prepared and informed. We apologize that you experienced differently and would still like to thank you for your time and interest in Merkle.

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Merkle (Columbia, MD) in December 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter that setup interviews. The first step was 2 phone interviews. Following the phone interview I underwent a caucus type interview in person with a group of 6 cross functional managers and directors. The interview included questions and a presentation.

Director Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Merkle.

Interview

As others have said -- run from this unprofessional place.

2 phone interview followed by an onsite interview with a handful of people. Onsite interview included a presentation to the group as others have mentioned in their posts. Very few questions asked during the preso.

It was surprising that the hiring manager wasn't at the onsite and the planned video conf was cancelled. Strangest part was the interview ending with a discussion with person who would have been a subordinate. A person, I might add, who had a chip on their shoulder from the word hello. No final discussion with HR -- the day just ended. Not even a call from HR that day or the next.

Strung along for weeks only to hear they hired a friend of an employee. It is unprofessional to waste a qualified candidate's time when you're planning to hire someone's buddy.

Truthfully, I dodged a bullet here and am in a better position. Beware this hollow chocolate bunny.

Interview Questions

• No memorable questions. Just kept hearing how my experience made me ideal for the position.   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merkle in November 2014.

Interview

I had 6 personal interviews, and then had to give a presentation to the group as to why I should be hired for the position. It was a great way to go about interviewing as I got to know a lot of the players in the department before making the presentation. I was very comfortable giving the presentation and my experience was well received by everyone. Thankfully they all voted to bring me on.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example where you had to deal with a smart person who did not know how to do simple tasks.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Interview

Merkle is working with a department store on a credit card. Initial opening bonus paid to store, interest cost, annual fee etc. are given on a piece of paper. You'll need to calc the profit. And it's not profitable. So what's the BEP of opening bonus? What if we want to have a progressive opening bonus based on accounts opened? What's the curve of profit against accounts opened? Where's the highest point and how much?

Interview Questions

• You are CEO of a satellite TV company by the time when it's unpopular. What's the advantage and risk for this situation? Then you're given estimated revenue and cost(variable and fixed). Calc profitability. There are 2 ways to increase profit, 1 is to offer more free months and attract more customer, 1 is to reduce fixed cost but might reduce customer. Which is optimal? Where does the reduced customer and original proposal breakeven?   Answer Question