Merrill Corporation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 24, 2017

2.6

XBRL Financial Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minn City, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Corporation (Minn City, MN).

Interview

Two rounds of interview. One with HR and one with XBRL manager. Each 30 minutes long. Basic behavioral questions and the interviewers were really friendly. Just know what really XBRL is and what is its use in today's financial reporting compliance requirements. Make sure to be able to describe them how you are planning to use your accounting knowledge in XBRL.

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question
    • Q: Tell me about a time where you were faced with difficult situation at work and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Corporation (Saint Paul, MN) in October 2015.

Interview

Most of the people that go to interview there are internal referral. That happened with me. I tried to apply many times for the same position with no luck. A person that I know then referred me and I a HR person called me for a normal resume screen on the phone. Just basic questions. She then sent me an email inviting for the interview at the company with some supervisors. From the moment I walked in the room I noticed they already had someone in mind to hire. Basic questions. They did not show any interest in my answers. Asked me to explain how to do something. Could be anything. Then took me for a computer test which I am sure I did great.

IT Risk/Governance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Corporation (Minneapolis, MN) in August 2015.

Interview

Phone screening followed by face-to-face with the hiring manager, an EVP who seemed a bit scattered. She confirmed the basic requirements of the position (she read off the job description that was available online); I asked questions like "Pretend I'm a potential customer. Why should I hire Merrill vs. one of your competitors?" This tripped her up for some reason.

Interview Questions

• Questions were very basic...nothing but softballs.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merrill Corporation.

Interview

Standard Interview they just want to know you're motivated and looking to make $ and to verify your credentials. Interviewed with two hiring managers who took somewhat of a good cop/bad cop approach

Interview Questions

• If you could choose between a trophy and $1000 which would you choose   1 Answer

Interview

The process was long and time consuming but worth it. Everyone was friendly bit the process was multiple interviews and lot of time spent processing info. I suggest you know job description and why you want to do this job. Also have good understanding of markets

XBRL Financial Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Corporation (Saint Paul, MN) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone screen with HR. In-person interview with two managers (at same time). Standard questions. Thought I'd get offer. No reason given for not getting offer. Follow up all initiated by me after they did not get back to me in the time they communicated.

Interview Questions

• What aspects of prior jobs did you most like?   1 Answer
    • Why should we hire you?   1 Answer
    • Will you work over 40 hrs per week when needed?   1 Answer
    • Can you work outside regular hours (as early as 5am or as late as 9pm)?   1 Answer

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Corporation (Saint Paul, MN) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process began with a standard telephone screen by an HR recruiter. This was followed by an in-person interview the following week. The first part of the in-person interview was a 1:1 with the hiring manager who provided some additional detail about the position and the business need for the role followed by a panel interview with behavioral questions. Several roles were represented in the panel interview: architect, Scrum Master, Delivery Manager.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult situation that you needed to address and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Corporate Position Within Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Corporation (Saint Paul, MN).

Interview

Submitted resume through their website and heard back within a week to set up preliminary interviews with a recruiter. The interview was set quickly, and once I "passed" that interview, meeting in person was arranged quickly. The whole process was fast -- under a month from initial contact to offer -- and involved many of the people I am now working with on a regular basis. There wasn't a lot of superfluous stuff like tests, which I've run into with most other companies. The interviews focused on relevant experience, past roles and how I might add value quickly to the role. I had a clear idea of expectations and any timelines communicated during the interview process were adhered to closely. The interview style was largely simply conversational and everyone I met with (6 or 7 in total) seemed engaged in the process.

Interview Questions

• Because I have a slightly unorthodox career path, we talked about that. It wasn't a difficult discussion -- it just involved talking about things on my resume that I hadn't talked about in an interview situation in ages.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Simple, straightforward, fair

Quality Assurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grove City, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Corporation (Grove City, OH) in September 2014.

Interview

The overall interview process wasn't bad. They weren't on schedule with the time we allotted which shows negative signs for interviewees. Proceeding the interview I was informed there was a quality issue and it caused them to be late. It was a face to face interview with the quality manager and on conference call with the operations manager. The building is slightly empty considering nationwide moved out and back into there own building.

Interview Questions

• what is my take on iso procedures?   Answer Question
    • what do I think is acceptable in quality?   Answer Question
    • what kind of issues have I encountered while being in the quality field and what measures have I used?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merrill Corporation in June 2014.

Interview

Very casual, relaxed interview. Met with manager, met the team, went over resume, there were a few technical questions. They seemed most interested by my ability to adapt to changes without warning and my eagerness to learn.

Interview Questions

• Detail a team project that you are most proud of and why? Elaborate on your contributions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation was also rather informal. Took some time to analyze their offer and came to an agreement. All very casual and pleasant.