Merrill Lynch Financial Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 17, 2017

2.8

78 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

Initial stages conducted exclusively online. As I recall it there were at least two assessments made online, mostly having to do with my aptitude for client management and sales. Having satisfied the initial screen, I was asked to complete forms with a view to meeting with local management.

Interview Questions

• Upon being invited in for a face to face meeting, I was asked to prepare a business plan in advance as well as a list of full contact details of my best prospects and their net worth.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Merrill Lynch

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

Interview process took about two months, a couple phone interviews, then one in person interview. You had to have a business plan to present when it came to the in-person interview which lasted about an hour-to an hour and a half.

Interview Questions

• Who do you think a financial advisor is and what do they do.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process took 3 weeks. I asked a current FA to refer me. After I passed online assessment, I got a phone call from PMD and scheduled my phone interview (went well, two people from PMD, 1 hour phone interview).

Interview Questions

• The questions were mostly about how I've failed and lessons learned, my weaknesses, etc.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Pittsburgh, PA) in January 2017.

Interview

I was contacted via e-mail by a recruiter. After speaking to them over the phone, I met with the district manager and had a conversation with them. The next step was to write a business plan. After turning that in, I spoke to an advisor who asked me questions about it. The process ended at that point. The process lasted about 1 month.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

It was a very easy process. I applied on campus with a recruiter then went on to a metropolitan city for the super day where I did 2- 30 minute interviews. The interviews were all behavioral questions and I have had a very positive experience with the first two rounds of interviews in the super day.

After the super day I moved on to another round of interviews in my city of choice. When I went to this rounds of interviews I had to wait 15 minutes for my first interviewer and then 20 minutes for my second interviewer. Although they were both nice people, one of my interviewers seemed to be going through a lot of stress and it showed when we had our interview, causing me to be nervous. The other interviewer suggested my skills would be more useful for a different interview.

The interview experience definitely depends on the city that you apply for and the corporate culture. I feel that the whole interview process was positive because i got to meet with some really nice people and saw how Merrill lynch would be a great company to work in. However, the people who interviewed me for the last round were unprofessional and did not make me feel comfortable at all.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch in November 2016.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting. Offered final round Super Day interview, which consisted of 2 behavioral interviews (30 minutes each). Kind of unorganized, but a good experience. Didn't get much of a feel for the office or what the company was about, seeing as we were sat in a room then called into another and then were dismissed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

One behavioral first round interview and one superday. I was asked mostly behavioral questions. They mostly want to see if you can communicate Effectivley and if you have done your research on the firm. On the first interview I had a conversation about my hobbies and basically my academic career. On the superday I was asked about more in depth situational questions and specific questions about my internships

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you've taken a risk?   1 Answer
    • what experience do you have in a team?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Athens, GA) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied through my school recruiting website. Then I was contacted by the recruiter through the website and told I had an interview with them the next week. I interviewed at the school 1:1 with a Financial Advisor who essentially just asked behavioral questions to see if I was a good fit. Then he left a lot of time at the end to see if I had questions for him which I did. I suggest researching about Merrill Lynch before and having some questions to ask because it makes you seem very interested in the job.

Interview Questions

• What kind of things are you looking for in a career?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Tampa, FL).

Interview

1.On-line assessment. 2.Phone interview. 3.In-person interview with old-school wirehouse dude who lacked professionalism from the second he entered the room. Not a good reflection of the brand. Negative first impression (as a potential candidate for employment or as a potential client/investor).

Interview Questions

• Plain vanilla interview questions 101. Resume review with predictable questions regarding previous positions and experience. Why are you leaving where you are now? Why ML? Nothing special. Nothing different. Nothing that made you think. ~55 minutes. I had no questions for him.   Answer Question

Accepted offer from Morgan Stanley.

Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Norfolk, VA).

Interview

Phase 1: Phone Interview
    Phase 2: 3 separate in-person interviews with different people
    Phase 3: During the selection process, they may have you additionally interview with another Merrill Lynch employee from another office.