Merrill Lynch Financial Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Merrill Lynch Financial Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Feb 22, 2017

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Kansas City, MO) in April 2016.

Interview

There are multiple steps in the interview process that try and figure out why you are a "high achiever" and the people you know with a high level of assets. There are two online assessments that you have to take to see if you have the mentality they are looking for. They will ask for your plan to be successful and see how you will find your niche.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Merrill Lynch

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

On-Campus interview for about 30 minutes, nothing crazy with questions, almost all personal and resume related. Received an email back to set up the final round interview by phone or in person. Have that tomorrow.

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Stamford, CT) in March 2016.

Interview

Interviewed by two gentlemen who were both very friendly and made the interview process very comfortable. I was told the interview was going to be about 30 mins, but we blew through it in about 20.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about financial advising and why are you interested in this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

the interview process was not particularly long or difficult. It consisted of one in person, on campus interview with a regional recruiter, then two phone interviews with recruiters from specific offices within the region I had applied for. All questions were strictly behavioral and based on my interest in the program, Merrill Lynch, and becoming a financial advisor.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Interview was very nice. Completely behavioral. Interviewer was very nice and no tough questions. But they seems running kind of tired maybe because I was the last timeslot of the day. But overall great experience!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Hartford, CT) in February 2016.

Interview

It was a very casual interview process, not technical at all, mostly get to know you questions and questions about my previous experience. It was over Facetime. They did mention that they prefer to only hire finance and accounting majors and my previous experience made me an exception (I'm an economics major).

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

A friend passed my resume along. I got a call from the recruiter. Then got emailed to set up a phone interview with a hiring manager (the phone interview was scheduled for 2 weeks from initial call). My phone interview is tomorrow with hiring manager!

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY).

Interview

I had a relatively quick and informational phone screen. In person interview with Managing Director of office. Pretty simple interview, almost all behavioral questions and resume explanation. MD didn't think he should have to interview so many people and I was the first one interviewed so I'm pretty sure I got hired for convenience.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in wealth management? Why economics major?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Stamford, CT) in September 2015.

Interview

It took a very long time between interviews. Interviewed with regional managers. All seemed to go fine but at last minute they changed their minds but never explained why.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest frustration. What are your production numbers? How long have you lived in the area? What investment products have you used with your clients? What amount of assets do you think you can bring with you?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch in September 2015.

Interview

Face to face interview and a simulation test to determine your ability to handle a highly stressful environment. Written questions and a mock-up trading simulation.

Hiring is contingent upon passing the series 7 and 66 exams and must be taken within 90 days of being hired.

Interview Questions

• what will be your process of developing a book of business over the next 6 months and what are your sources of potential clients and centers of influence?   Answer Question

Commission requirements in the first year unrealistic for a new Advisor.