Merrill Lynch GWIM Summer Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 18, 2017

2.5

11 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pennington, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Pennington, NJ) in October 2016.

Interview

Interview process was horrible to set up. First interview was on campus and was no big deal, just simple resume questions and why i was drawn to the role. After that HR never reached out with an update on my application, emailed my interviewer who talked to HR. HR then emailed me with a final round interview. Never once was a description of the role or even a title for the internship mentioned, only talked about what divisions you could be placed in. Go to final interview and one of the two interviewers never showed up, they didn't have any questions prepared and made me ask questions to fill the time slot. Horrible.

Interview Questions

• Why this position?
    Tell me about a time you had to inspire a group?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Merrill Lynch

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Miami, FL) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview process was overall not very demanding, but extremely time-consuming. Once I did my background check and all of that, the hiring manager contacted me for a phone interview. That lasted around 20 minutes, she went over my resume and asked me some questions(most of them easy, she was quite nice) and then I was told to wait for an email. The next day I got a phone call from her secretary telling me I was all set.

GWIM Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch in May 2016.

Interview

Was referred by a friend who was just hired as a client associate to an FA in mid may, had two sets of phone interviews; one with the FA another with the whole team of 2 FAs and a CA. Was prepared for technical questions, GPA, and some hypotheticals but both interviews just ended up being a pretty relaxed conversation. Got the call 30 mins after my second phone interview with a verbal offer. Then they got me set up to go through the Corporate Security Process which is a nightmare. Just a heads up, if you're interviewing with Bank of America or any bank/financial institution, be prepared to lay out your entire life. Have passports, licenses, SSN, Reference Contacts, W-2, Tax Return slips, and credit score info ready before the interview. A day after my initial offer, I was contacted by BofA Corporate Security and told I needed to give all this info, go through multiple types of background checks, get finger printed and have my education, employment of last 5 years, and citizenship verified. It was about 20 days after my initial offer that I was given the "Greenlight' and a start date.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience in Financial Analysis? Do you have the experience of analyzing any trends in securities, mutual funds, etc.?   Answer Question
    • Do you have experience working with high wealth individuals?   1 Answer
    • Have you ever had a confrontation with a client or customer? How did you handle it?   1 Answer
    • Are you okay with working independently and being given tasks you are solely responsible for?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Pretty simple. A Seasonal Intern doesn't have much to negotiate right off the bat. Once I started I negotiated to work more hours and they agreed. Then was asked to stay on as a part-time Client Associate during the school year.

GWIM Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch in February 2016.

Interview

I had one interview with a recruiter, one with two people on the team and a superday with four interviews. The questions were very behavioral based and I was not asked to do any technical questions. They more wanted to see if I was a good fit for the team.

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Jersey City, NJ) in April 2015.

Interview

4 on-site, thirty minute interviews, each with a different team within GWIM Technology and Operations; for the positions of : Business Analyst, Systems Engineering, Data Analyst and Application Developer

Interview Questions

• a mix of behavioral questions, walk me through your resume, explain how you would generate a particular result using SQL   Answer Question

Negotiation

Fairly straightforward interview, great experience in getting to know each of the roles within GWIM Technology

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Miami, FL) in April 2015.

Interview

- Cold-called and found out about the opportunity over the phone, in which I was asked for email and sent an application link. Applied online and didn't hear back until I was randomly called 3-4 months before I started for a phone interview. Very easy and overall fit-based questions (why Merrill, why WM, etc.)

GWIM Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

Applied online through college job site. Got an email from the recruiting team to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview was about 30 minutes. The interview had basic behavioral questions and nothing was out of the ordinary. Got an email two weeks after phone interview saying I didn't get the position.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Boston, MA).

Interview

I used an online application process after my uni made me aware of the opportunity. Submitted my cover letter, resume, and transcript and I got a call within a couple of weeks. Three more phone interviews and countless emails later, they extended an offer, non-negotiable. I happily accepted. Process was quick, easy, and pleasant (for an internship in the financial services industry, that is).

GWIM Summer Analyst Interview

Interview

Interview in person. Short, not difficult. Mostly behavioral questions and how you handled customers in previous positions. Leadership Posistions

Negotiation

None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

Communication from HR reps mostly with members of the individual groups conducting interviews. Mostly behavior based with questions digging into whether you know the different types of banking. Most useful thing to do to prepare is to learn the differences in all the types of banking and to have your basic behavior answers ready.

Interview Questions

Did not like the culture and did not want to be in NYC.