Merrill Lynch Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Merrill Lynch Interview Questions

Updated Oct 12, 2017

246 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

PMD Program Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch in October 2017.

Interview

Assesment followed by 3 phone interviews. I was invited to come in and interview face to face. I knew after speaking with a few people during my phone interview that they were looking for someone with "wealthy connections". The minimum needed to open an account here is $250,000 and they provide no leads. It's a self source job. Face to Face interview with 2 managers and was told again about the minimum needed to open an account and that was the most important thing. You have to either have a portfolio or know a lot of rich people.

The phone interview went well and the people I spoke to were very nice. The face to face interview was more of a grilling. I guess they thought I was wasting their time by even showing up. I'm not someone that came from money or knows anyone that is rich. The reason I showed up was because I was ready to do whatever they asked, to take the tools and knowledge I would gain through the training process and apply it. That is not what they are looking for. You NEED to be a polished white guy with rich connections.

I was a little disappointed with the whole process, after reading the role description before I applied it seemed like a training program to turn you into a financial advisor. I now know it's a program designed to onboard your portfolio or your family and friends. If you are just getting into this business, this is not the program you are looking for.

Interview Questions

• Do you know anyone with investable assets of $250,000 or more?   Answer Question
    • What have you done that makes you think you could get in front of rich people and gain their trust?   Answer Question

PMD Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Chester, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (West Chester, PA) in September 2017.

Interview

It began with an email asking me to take two assessments. The first was geared towards the job. The second was their version of a VJT/Shaker. Relatively simple.
    Next, I did a phone interview. It was a get to know you, plus some questions related to how you would contribute to Merrill Lynch's success. I wasn't moved on to the next step because I haven't finished school yet. She continued the interview and really liked my confidence and my military background.
    I was told to contact her again after I completed school in a few months.
    Tips:
    Be confident, not cocky.
    Be driven by money and success to prove yourself and goals.
    Have a niche that you can bring to the table to establish your foundation and bring in $10 million in your first year.

Interview Questions

• What will your niche be to bring in $10 million your first year?   1 Answer

Wealth Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Detroit, MI).

Interview

After submitting the application, went through 2 series of phone interviews. [ Mostly resume questions, and basic "tell me about yourself" questions ]

Face-to-face interview was extremely comfortable. Two people were present, lasted about 45 minutes. Questions were mostly behavioral [ "what would you do in this situation" ]. They try to make you feel comfortable. Really not many technical questions, although adding in technical knowledge is a plus.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time where you had to emerge as a leader, even though your role wasn't specifically designed for that. How did you manage and/or direct others for success?   Answer Question

Equity Research Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

First round phone interview (20 mins, get to you type) and asked a simple markets question.

Superday- behavioral and technical questions depending on background

On the superday there were three total interviews. Overall, everyone was really nice and welcoming.

Financial Advisor Associate Interview

Interview

Easy process, had to take two tests to see if i matched up with them. Then had an interview just to go over basic qualifications and how hard the position would be, which was followed by a leveraged business plan.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch in July 2017.

Interview

Easy going process basic questions gave an overview of what their mission was and discussed their prestigious cliental. They discussed what my position would be if hired in and how they would expect me to speak to clients and how I would be able to listen in on meetings.

Interview Questions

• One that stuck out the most to me; What are three things you don't like to do?   Answer Question

Client Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch in July 2017.

Interview

Initially had a phone call then went into the office for an interview. Met with two financial top guys and they asked me questions. It was casual with nothing too difficult.

Interview Questions

• Why did you chose wealth management?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

It was the worst interviewing experience out of any WallStreet . The interviewer rescheduled the interview, then was 30 minutes late, then was rude and hostile throughout the course of the interview. Ended up being a who can be the biggest jerk competition by the end of the interview, had no intentions of performing well after only a few minutes in.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what you do in your past time? (Was asked 5 times)   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

Initial stages conducted exclusively online. As I recall it there were at least two assessments made online, mostly having to do with my aptitude for client management and sales. Having satisfied the initial screen, I was asked to complete forms with a view to meeting with local management.

Interview Questions

• Upon being invited in for a face to face meeting, I was asked to prepare a business plan in advance as well as a list of full contact details of my best prospects and their net worth.   1 Answer

PMD Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Charlotte, NC) in May 2017.

Interview

Submitted résumé. Took a personality test, then a financial aptitude test. Had a phone screen with a recruiter, then a 10 minute phone interview with a local FA.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you were a high achiever   1 Answer