Merrill Lynch Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Merrill Lynch Interview Questions

Updated Mar 18, 2017

3.1

Capital Markets Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

Only made it to the first round. The questions were not technical, but they expected that you had a genuine interest in financial markets and have knowledge to back it up

Interview Questions

• What did the Fed do to combat the financial crisis of 2008?   Answer Question

PMD Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch in March 2017.

Interview

Very long interview process with 7+ calls. Was not provided the appropriate Information for the calls. This created a gap of information and inability to prepare properly for the process.

Investment Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Tampa, FL).

Interview

Boring process where I learned the current employees are not excited about who they work for. The interviewers were reluctant advisors who didn't really prepare. Asked mundane questions, but mostly talked about themselves and they do. Didn't really ask what I could bring to the firm.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

First one will fill out an online app with information regarding their education and work experience. Next is a phone interview, then a super day (in person interview). Applicants have two 30 minute interviews, which were both pretty similar.

Interview Questions

• Everything you would expect from a company of this size. Mostly behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Wealth Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Hartford, CT) in January 2017.

Interview

Received an email to interview in office with Senior VP. Very friendly but kind of intimidating and almost didn't let me get a word in. Started off the interview with 2 brief and general questions about my work experience then basically had me ask the rest of the questions for the interview. Felt like he didn't really learn all that much about me and what I'm interested in. He spent a lot of time talking about the company and getting off topic about other things. Took me for a tour around the office. I was out in less than 30 minutes.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Pittsburgh, PA) in January 2017.

Interview

I was contacted via e-mail by a recruiter. After speaking to them over the phone, I met with the district manager and had a conversation with them. The next step was to write a business plan. After turning that in, I spoke to an advisor who asked me questions about it. The process ended at that point. The process lasted about 1 month.

Registered Client Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online. Received call from recruiter who scheduled interview for me. When to the interview and it was very conversational and casual. The team leaders made me feel at ease and comfortable with the environment.

PMD Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport News, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Newport News, VA) in December 2016.

Interview

Received a call from corporate, had a really great conversation for nearly 25 minutes. He complimented me and told me some very flattering things. Nailed it! Never received a follow up phone-call..e-mail, nothing. Wasn't denied either.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about finding potential clients?   1 Answer

Summer Interview

Interview

Two over the phone interviews. Both were pretty short. The first one was a personality interview, the second was more about experience and ability. The interviewer talked way more than I did and explained the company in depth.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time something didn't go how you expected and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

It was a very easy process. I applied on campus with a recruiter then went on to a metropolitan city for the super day where I did 2- 30 minute interviews. The interviews were all behavioral questions and I have had a very positive experience with the first two rounds of interviews in the super day.

After the super day I moved on to another round of interviews in my city of choice. When I went to this rounds of interviews I had to wait 15 minutes for my first interviewer and then 20 minutes for my second interviewer. Although they were both nice people, one of my interviewers seemed to be going through a lot of stress and it showed when we had our interview, causing me to be nervous. The other interviewer suggested my skills would be more useful for a different interview.

The interview experience definitely depends on the city that you apply for and the corporate culture. I feel that the whole interview process was positive because i got to meet with some really nice people and saw how Merrill lynch would be a great company to work in. However, the people who interviewed me for the last round were unprofessional and did not make me feel comfortable at all.