Merrill Lynch Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 21, 2017

2.8

787 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Financial Advisor Associate Interview

Interview

Easy process, had to take two tests to see if i matched up with them. Then had an interview just to go over basic qualifications and how hard the position would be, which was followed by a leveraged business plan.

Interview Questions

Interview

Very simple and straight forward. A little slow moving. Had two interviews with successful Financial Advisers who worked in the office followed by a third interview with a branch manager. Questions about my background, why now ? and Why Merrill Lynch? What separates me from anyone else?

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Paramus, NJ).

Interview

Smooth process, the interviewers were patient and willing to answer questions about the workplace. Being that I was interviewing for an internship position, the interviewers were understanding with certain gaps in financial knowledge.

Interview Questions

• How would you talk a client out of making a detrimental move with their account when they insist on following through.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

It was the worst interviewing experience out of any WallStreet . The interviewer rescheduled the interview, then was 30 minutes late, then was rude and hostile throughout the course of the interview. Ended up being a who can be the biggest jerk competition by the end of the interview, had no intentions of performing well after only a few minutes in.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what you do in your past time? (Was asked 5 times)   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

Initial stages conducted exclusively online. As I recall it there were at least two assessments made online, mostly having to do with my aptitude for client management and sales. Having satisfied the initial screen, I was asked to complete forms with a view to meeting with local management.

Interview Questions

• Upon being invited in for a face to face meeting, I was asked to prepare a business plan in advance as well as a list of full contact details of my best prospects and their net worth.   1 Answer

Resident Director Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Alpharetta, GA) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Received call from hiring manager 3 weeks later. Brief phone interview followed by 2 face to face interviews. First interview was 3 hours long! Met with 4 different people. All very nice and appreciative of my time. Great company. Better people.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate my salary. I felt very appreciated and that they really wanted me there. It was very simple, straight forward.

Financial Advisor, PMD Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (San Diego, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied via online and took two assessment tests. Both tests are really easy and test your knowledge overall and whether or not you will be fit for the position. If you pass both of the tests, you will have a phone interview with one of the recruiters/human resources team members. The questions they ask during the phone interview are very simple.
    -Tell me about yourself.
    -What sales experience do you have pertaining to this role?
    -Do you have current clients that you can advise and bring to our company?
    They want to see if you have clients already or can bring in clients, but not just regular clients; they want high net worth clients over $250,000.

If you pass this phone interview, you will be referred to one of the offices to speak with senior management. Before this interview, I had to make a business plan regarding aspects of a financial advisor. I had to talk about my vision, centers of influence, marketing plan, target markets, etc. You then present it to the person interviewing with you and they take a look at it. Then they will ask you questions, somewhat similar to the phone interview.
    -Tell me about yourself.
    -Very few people succeed as a financial advisor. How will you be successful?
    -What makes you a high achiever?
    -How will you meet our goals of $10 million in assets in the first year etc.
    Ultimately, if you cannot bring in clients or have a high net worth of potential, this is not the job for you. Other than that, the interview process was okay but these are basically the details of it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.
      How will you reach out to clients?
      How will you bring in assets?
      Very few people succeed as a financial advisor. How will you be successful?
      How do your experiences relate to this position? Do you have sales experience?   Answer Question

PMD/Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Wayne, PA).

Interview

Two Assessments + Virtual "Day in the Life" Assessments followed by one in phone screen interview recruiter then by 3 in person interviews with 2 managers and 1 regional director.

(I had all three interviews in one day and the Assessments were done one at a time)

Interview Questions

• Why Merrill Lynch?
      Why Financial Advising?
      Why now?
      What would your current boss say about you if they were here right now?   1 Answer

PMD Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Charlotte, NC) in May 2017.

Interview

Submitted résumé. Took a personality test, then a financial aptitude test. Had a phone screen with a recruiter, then a 10 minute phone interview with a local FA.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you were a high achiever   1 Answer

PMD Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Stamford, CT) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online and heard back from a recruiter about a week later. Brief phone call with the recruiter talking about the position and if it were the right fit for me. After the call I took two online assessments which were pretty basic. I was then asked to complete a business plan and come in for an interview to go over it. I interviewed in Stamford, CT with two senior FA's, which lasted about one hour. We went over my business plan and talked about my network and how I planned to acquire clients.

Interview Questions

• How do you plan to continuously grow your client pipeline?   Answer Question