Merrill Lynch Finance Trainee Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Merrill Lynch Finance Trainee Interview Questions

62 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

PMD Financial Advisor Trainee Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied at the company website. After about a week I received an email saying that I was selected to move forward in the process, but I had to take 2 online evaluations. The first was a sort of personality test, and the second was a quantitative test (FIAT).
    I then had a phone interview, and at the end of the phone interview I was told that the total process would consist of 5 interviews.

PMD Financial Adviser Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

they make you take a short pass/fail test. if you pass then you are interviewed by a recruiter who asks you questions about investment banking and why you would do well in the field.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Was hired essentially over the phone. Spoke with recruiter a couple of times so was basically hired before I went in for interview. Met with the HR person and was told as long as I passed the drug test and background check we were good to go. Started the next Monday.

Interview Questions

• Didn't ask anything specific or surprising. Very typical interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes. They wanted to pay less but I simply said this was the base I needed and they agreed.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Dallas, TX).

Interview

I applied online and then received an email with the FIAT exam and a behavioral exam. The FIAT exam consisted of about 25 questions about stock splits, Last in, Last out, first in, first out and questions about the economy. The next interview was over the phone. These questions were more personal- tell me about yourself and what groups or activities do you participate in that you could use to get clients. I had to fill out some documents for a background check. My next interview is going to be in person and I have to build a business plan.

Interview Questions

• FIAT - stock splits, Last in, Last out, first in, first out and questions about the economy. There is no time limit so take as much time as you need. They don't track how much time it took you, only what score you got.
      Phone Interview - tell me about yourself? What groups or activities do you participate in that could be used to get clients? Was the FIAT exam difficult for you? The interviewer has your FIAT scores. Why do you want to be a financial advisor? Why do you think you would be successful at this job? What got you interested in finance? Focus on highlighting any experience you have as an entreuprenur and sales experience. Do you have any questions for me?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Oklahoma City, OK) in March 2016.

Interview

Step 1: HR Interview. Just going over resume and past experiences.
    Step 2: FIAT Exam. Basic math questions. Fractions, etc. FIFO and LIFO question.
    Step 3: Meet with hiring manager at local office
    Step 4: Create a business plan and meet with 2 current FA's to get their advice on how to be successful
    Step 5: Hiring Panel. 3 FA's. I have this today.

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Denver, CO) in March 2016.

Interview

This has been a very long interview process. Coming up on three months now and finally interviewing with the regional manager. Interviewed with a couple of local financial advisors and it was smooth and easy. There has been a week or 2 between each step in the process. This dragged it out for a long time. I heard they keep you hanging to evaluate your persistence in a situation like this.

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online, next was asked to complete simple quantitative exam online. Simple interest rate calculations and stock yields. Next was on-site interview with team and then 3 partners. Questions mostly around interest in finance and where you want to be in 3 years. No quantitative questions in person, just Excel and behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Q: What is your knowledge of the use of Pivot Tables in Excel?   Answer Question

Financial Solution Advisor Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (New Brunswick, NJ) in April 2015.

Interview

Must complete two separate evaluations. The first evaluation is a personality test; basically, they ask you several questions/scenarios to evaluate how you will deal with different situations. The second is a test which included: basic math, knowledge of stock markets, basic econ, and logic. Next is a phone interview with a recruiter, pretty standard, and an in-person interview with multiple team leads.

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Houston, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Contacted by HR recruiter for a phone interview. After phone interview, I was sent paperwork, basically U-4 type questions, and asked to fill it out and return it. The next step will be for them to set me up with an interview with the branch or team that is looking to hire.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch in January 2015.

Interview

I applied via a University career website and I received an email to take an exam. I was frustrated because they didn't conduct a phone interview, and unlike personality tests, this was a 2 hour exam and they went into this huge rant about not cheating and how you can use a calculator etc. I should also mention that I have my Masters and a few years experience in Financial Planning, so I'm not about to take an exam for a Trainee position, especially without a phone interview to discuss whether or not I really want the position. I left the exam in my inbox to expire.

Interview Questions

• There were no questions because they didn't start with a phone interview and I decided not to take the exam.   Answer Question