Merrill Lynch Financial Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Merrill Lynch Financial Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Mar 20, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

I was referred through an employee so my phone interview was only 10 minutes. The individual explained the business plan I needed to complete. I interviewed with the office manager he was only focused on recruiting assets. Need $10 million of aum for the first year period.

Interview Questions

• What are your weaknesses, Why do you want to be a financial advisor?   1 Answer

Team Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Boston, MA) in July 2016.

Interview

I had to complete a two tests. I had two phone screens and then went in person to meet with the head of recruiting. The I had to meet with 3 advisors and come up with a business plan. Along the way several people contacted me and it seemed as if nobody had talked to each other. I was constantly explaining what step I was on and during the process the secretary got fired. There was a lag in response time and finally they said the position was not available. They said they would contact me if something came available. A waste of time.

PMD Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Many interviews. Went through about five interviews between the team and district manager. For the team, I think it's a lot of feeling you out to see if you are a good fit for their dynamic.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to work at a local BofA branch to steer clients to our team?   1 Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch in June 2016.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter via a phone call which lasted about an hour. They went over my current skills and what I'm looking to get out of the job. The recruiter was kind and the questions weren't very difficult.

Interview Questions

• What was one entrepreneurial experience that helped you achieve a given goal?   Answer Question

Team Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

I stopped the process after seeing that the branch manager wasn't giving me any indication about the compensation range. After three weeks of meeting him and the team, I decided it was time to speak numbers. The offer was mediocre and non-negotiable

Salary was not competitive

Financial Advisor PMD Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch in April 2016.

Interview

I applied online, then received an email from a recruiter to take two online assessments, first test was scenario based as an FA and sales scenarios, second was a general economics and math exam taken, both taken at home with no time limit. Once passed, I received an email from the recruiter to set up a 30 minute phone screening interview. Very simple questions; just wanted to know what my network was. The recruiter got me in contact with a managing director/complex director for my region. I did an in person interview with him at the office. Just wanted me to tell him my full story. It was actually pretty relaxed. I had a strong application with a business plan which helped me out in my interview. Once passed he had his assistant set up 3 interviews with FA's from the office in one day as a final check. The director mailed me their expectations for performance hurdles before I attended the 3 interviews.

I turned down the offer because they were expecting me to bring in roughly 10 million AUM a year for three years to pass the PMD program. I had to be honest with myself and my network. I don't think I would have been able to meet those performance hurdles.

Interview Questions

• Give me your best summary about yourself.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Kansas City, MO) in April 2016.

Interview

There are multiple steps in the interview process that try and figure out why you are a "high achiever" and the people you know with a high level of assets. There are two online assessments that you have to take to see if you have the mentality they are looking for. They will ask for your plan to be successful and see how you will find your niche.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

On-Campus interview for about 30 minutes, nothing crazy with questions, almost all personal and resume related. Received an email back to set up the final round interview by phone or in person. Have that tomorrow.

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Stamford, CT) in March 2016.

Interview

Interviewed by two gentlemen who were both very friendly and made the interview process very comfortable. I was told the interview was going to be about 30 mins, but we blew through it in about 20.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about financial advising and why are you interested in this position?   Answer Question

PMD Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (San Jose, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Good interview process. Met with the manager and talked about how I would benefit their business. Talked mainly about myself and if I knew people with a lot of money that would invest in Merrill Lynch. Said it could take several months before hearing back from them and that I would either be put in a team or individually.