Merrill Lynch Financial Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 17, 2017

2.8

228 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

PMD Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch in March 2017.

Interview

I was contacted for a phone interview by a regional HR Manager. The interview lasted 15-20 minutes and was pretty basic. I was given an overview of the PMD program and told what to expect from the program if hired. I was asked about high net worth connections in the area, then forwarded on to the next stage in the process. I chose not proceed after the phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Do you have a high net worth network established in the area?   Answer Question

Team Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

You first take two assessment exams which you must pass both in order to advance to the next round. Once passed, you will receive a phone call from the director's assistant going over your skills, abilities and why you would be a great contributor to Merrill Lynch. Once you pass that phone interview, the assistant/recruiter will send you a calendar invite to interview with the director. You have the interview with the director and then after the interview he has you meet 2 or 3 senior members as a final check. If the senior members are impressed you then receive an offer. All though the director and senior members were impressed by my skills and resume, I unfortunately did not get an offer which I assume is because I hold a Master's Degree and wouldn't pay me more than the $50,000.

Interview Questions

• How would you construct a business plan in order to bring in 10million dollars per year?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at Merrill Lynch?   Answer Question
    • What sets you apart from other candidates?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

Interview process took about two months, a couple phone interviews, then one in person interview. You had to have a business plan to present when it came to the in-person interview which lasted about an hour-to an hour and a half.

Interview Questions

• Who do you think a financial advisor is and what do they do.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2017.

Interview

Received a phone interview as as the pre-screener asked me about my network and history. The pre-screener spent most of her time telling me about the program. She was mainly focussed on what assets or network I could immediately bring to the table. I progressed to the second round where the interviewer asked me about what network that I could bring to the table. He informed me that the success rate is at about 19 percent. I got the feeling that he was only interested in me if I already had a list of clients to bring in.

Interview Questions

• How did you get the interview?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process took 3 weeks. I asked a current FA to refer me. After I passed online assessment, I got a phone call from PMD and scheduled my phone interview (went well, two people from PMD, 1 hour phone interview).

Interview Questions

• The questions were mostly about how I've failed and lessons learned, my weaknesses, etc.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Pittsburgh, PA) in January 2017.

Interview

I was contacted via e-mail by a recruiter. After speaking to them over the phone, I met with the district manager and had a conversation with them. The next step was to write a business plan. After turning that in, I spoke to an advisor who asked me questions about it. The process ended at that point. The process lasted about 1 month.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport News, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Newport News, VA) in December 2016.

Interview

Received a call from corporate, had a really great conversation for nearly 25 minutes. He complimented me and told me some very flattering things. Nailed it! Never received a follow up phone-call..e-mail, nothing. Wasn't denied either.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about finding potential clients?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch in December 2016.

Interview

It was a very thorough process consisting of a phone interview, one on one interview, and a panel interview. At each stage the individuals were very candid about the challenges within the position and the expectations I would have if hired. The realistic perspective on everything served to build my own confidence in the integrity of the company as they chose not to sugarcoat anything. This let me know that this was a company which was not trying to pitch a position, rather it was a company that was forthright and could be counted on if I were accepted into the program.

Interview Questions

• What do you feel this position really is about?   1 Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

It was a very easy process. I applied on campus with a recruiter then went on to a metropolitan city for the super day where I did 2- 30 minute interviews. The interviews were all behavioral questions and I have had a very positive experience with the first two rounds of interviews in the super day.

After the super day I moved on to another round of interviews in my city of choice. When I went to this rounds of interviews I had to wait 15 minutes for my first interviewer and then 20 minutes for my second interviewer. Although they were both nice people, one of my interviewers seemed to be going through a lot of stress and it showed when we had our interview, causing me to be nervous. The other interviewer suggested my skills would be more useful for a different interview.

The interview experience definitely depends on the city that you apply for and the corporate culture. I feel that the whole interview process was positive because i got to meet with some really nice people and saw how Merrill lynch would be a great company to work in. However, the people who interviewed me for the last round were unprofessional and did not make me feel comfortable at all.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch in November 2016.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting. Offered final round Super Day interview, which consisted of 2 behavioral interviews (30 minutes each). Kind of unorganized, but a good experience. Didn't get much of a feel for the office or what the company was about, seeing as we were sat in a room then called into another and then were dismissed.