Merrill Lynch Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 18, 2017

2.8

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Boston, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

Met with two associates for a 30 minute interview for a summer intern position on-campus. It was mostly behavioral questions but some more technical questions. I recently switched majors from a non-finance major, so I was asked to elaborate on that and on relevant coursework that I have taken since switching.

Interview Questions

• Can you give me an example of how you would value a company.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed by two employees, who happened to be alumni of my university. It was a pretty straightforward interview, mostly behavioral questions and one technical question. It was not that difficult, except I was not as prepared as I should have been. Make sure you go into the interview knowing about the industry.

Interview Questions

• Simple behavioral questions:
      Walk me through your resume.
      One technical:
      How would you value a firm?
      1 Answer

PMD Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

(Still in the interview process) There are 2 assessments. You receive an email if you pass them. Then you set up a time for a first round interview. This is pretty straight forward, and my interviewer told me more about the program. He also explained the rest of the interview process. If selected, there are 3 more interviews.

PMD Financial Advisor Trainee Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied at the company website. After about a week I received an email saying that I was selected to move forward in the process, but I had to take 2 online evaluations. The first was a sort of personality test, and the second was a quantitative test (FIAT).
    I then had a phone interview, and at the end of the phone interview I was told that the total process would consist of 5 interviews.

PMD Financial Adviser Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

they make you take a short pass/fail test. if you pass then you are interviewed by a recruiter who asks you questions about investment banking and why you would do well in the field.

Investment Specialist Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rolling Meadows, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Rolling Meadows, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

Must complete two separate evaluations. The first evaluation is a personality test; basically they ask you several questions/scenarios to evaluate how you will deal with different situations. The second is a test which included: basic math, knowledge of stock markets, basic econ, and logic. Next is a phone interview with a recruiter, pretty standard, and an in person interview with multiple team leads.

Senior Operations Transfer Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Jacksonville, FL) in August 2016.

Interview

Interview process took a couple weeks, still waiting on response from HR in regards to my candidacy. Interview was basic questions, questions gauging your life's story. Panel was filled with good leadership that knows what it's like down the ranks to rise to their current high level positions. Stressed in teamwork and contributions to process improvement

Distribution Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hopewell, NJ

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Hopewell, NJ) in August 2016.

Interview

Interviewer was very warm and friendly; they didn't ask the standard cookie cutter questions and allowed me to provide more information about myself than other interviewers cared to ask. Showed a great interest in not just my resume but who I am as an individual.

Interview Questions

• If you could hold any position at Merrill what would it be and why?   1 Answer

Registered Client Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Laurel, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Mount Laurel, NJ) in August 2016.

Interview

I had the worst interview experience ever. I hope no one has to experience what I had to go through. I applied in August of 2016 and had a phone interview with a recruiter. The interview went well and the recruiter scheduled an interview with the hiring manager in Mount Laurel, NJ. The hiring manager liked me and sent me to Wilmington, Delaware to interview for the position. I was interviewed in a crowded room of 6 people in a circle. I didn't know who to look at when I was answering the questions and each of them asked me a question. It was intimidating and very unprofessional to be interviewed by 6 people in one room. Of course, I was not hired for the position. I followed up with the hiring manager, who liked me, multiple times, and after the third time, she sent me an email stating that my resume has been sent to another team. The O'Reilly and Little team contacted me the next day for an interview. I was interviewed by the financial advisor and the senior client associate. They asked me only two questions and they did most of the talking. The interview lasted an hour in a half. They liked me and scheduled a meeting with the director. I met with the senior vice president and instantly made a connection and met with the director. I filled out paperwork for a preliminary background check and the director stated, "Lets get this kid licensed." Several weeks go by and I don't hear anything, so I follow up. In late October, the financial advisor calls me back stating that he wants me on the team and human resources is holding everything up. He insured me that he wasn't wasting my time and I wouldn't have to worry about anything. More weeks go by. I follow up again to see what is going on. The financial advisor scheduled a day and time for a debriefing call. The day arrived and he never called me. I email him to ask about a good time to talk. He emails me back without an apology for not calling me on the scheduled time, and wants me to come back into the office again to chat. I am thinking I was going to sign a contract. In December, I meet with the financial advisor and the senior client associate again and they offer me a position I didn't apply for: Financial Advisor in Training. I see that they hired a Client Associate without letting me know and stating that there was a hiring freeze for November and December. I was surprised they were offering me this position because we established the fact that I was not a sales person and the Client Associate position was a better fit. When they described the position, they just stated that I would be bringing in revenue, but didn't explain how. The financial advisor also said that if the director offered me a salary lower than what he was offering to just accept it. I asked him about a written contract, and he acted like it wasn't important and the director just gives you a piece of paper to sign. Since I was surprised, I didn't ask many questions. Furthermore, the financial advisor did not want me to have a beard even though the senior client associate had one. Since they were offering me the position, I informed them that I was getting married and needed days off. Instead of saying congratulations, they responded, "Oh you are getting married. Ok." After the meeting, the financial advisor told me to think about it and that the director would be calling me. Over the weekend, I felt I needed to ask more questions. I called the following week, but the financial advisor was not available so I asked my questions to the senior client associate. I wanted to know the responsibilities and expectations for the position and I needed everything written out in a contract: salary, bonus, sponsorship of licenses, etc. That afternoon, the financial advisor emails me back that they are not interested in hiring me. After driving up from Cape May, NJ to Mount Laurel, NJ 4 times, using all my vacation days, and following up multiple times, they didn't offer me the position. I have no idea what set them off if it was asking questions about the contract or getting married. I wanted an explanation from the financial advisor but he refused to call me. They wasted 3 months of my time and led me on thinking I was going to get the position. I felt lied to, cheated, and used. Imagine how he mistreats his clients and screws them over. Bank of America (Merrill Lynch) has severe communication and organizational problems and I would not want to work for a company that screws people over for a living.

Senior Quality Assurance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY).

Interview

Due to holding current offers on hand, interviewing process was really fast. I have had a phone interview with a Business Analyst and Lead Developer. Next day , I was invited to face to face interview with one of the Business analysts. And, end of the week my recruiter called me and told me they want to make an offer. It has been three weeks already, but still waiting on sign off to receive my offer letter.