Merrill Lynch Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 26, 2017

2.8

PMD Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Many interviews. Went through about five interviews between the team and district manager. For the team, I think it's a lot of feeling you out to see if you are a good fit for their dynamic.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to work at a local BofA branch to steer clients to our team?   1 Answer

Client Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Jacksonville, FL) in June 2016.

Interview

Interview was with financial adviser and two other client associates. Standard interview questions were asked. Customer service information, detailed information. First the financial advisor interviewed me and than the client associate.

Interview Questions

• Customer service experience, any scheduling experience. how do you handle working independently, are you able to work part time only. How are your computer skills. what skills do you have   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was a very drawn out process. No negotiation with pay. fully paid by financial advisor

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch in June 2016.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter via a phone call which lasted about an hour. They went over my current skills and what I'm looking to get out of the job. The recruiter was kind and the questions weren't very difficult.

Interview Questions

• What was one entrepreneurial experience that helped you achieve a given goal?   Answer Question

Trade Allocation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Jersey City, NJ).

Interview

It was unorthodox as I got so lost driving there I was maybe 1 hour late. At one point I was left in the office by myself for 1/2 hour.

TFA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington Hills, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Farmington Hills, MI) in May 2016.

Interview

Pretty casual. Had to develop a business plan on how to bring in new clients but it was more of a homework assignment rather than an interview question that had to be answered on the spot.

Interview Questions

Didn't really think the career was right for me.

Registered Client Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied for the job at the middle of March 2016, received a call mid-May from an out-of-state recruiter asking if I was interested in coming in for an interview. Accepted interview appointment, was called about an hour later saying that we had to reschedule because one of the interviewers was out of town that day. Arrived about 10 mins early for the interview, didn't get taken back until 25 after the time it was supposed to start. Interview lasted maybe 20-30 minutes. Overall a huge waste of time because the interviewers seemed to be less than interested to be there. Especially after I had mentioned that I wanted to pursue a masters degree. I think they may have only wanted someone who would be content staying in an assistant position for the duration of their career.

GWIM Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch in May 2016.

Interview

Was referred by a friend who was just hired as a client associate to an FA in mid may, had two sets of phone interviews; one with the FA another with the whole team of 2 FAs and a CA. Was prepared for technical questions, GPA, and some hypotheticals but both interviews just ended up being a pretty relaxed conversation. Got the call 30 mins after my second phone interview with a verbal offer. Then they got me set up to go through the Corporate Security Process which is a nightmare. Just a heads up, if you're interviewing with Bank of America or any bank/financial institution, be prepared to lay out your entire life. Have passports, licenses, SSN, Reference Contacts, W-2, Tax Return slips, and credit score info ready before the interview. A day after my initial offer, I was contacted by BofA Corporate Security and told I needed to give all this info, go through multiple types of background checks, get finger printed and have my education, employment of last 5 years, and citizenship verified. It was about 20 days after my initial offer that I was given the "Greenlight' and a start date.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience in Financial Analysis? Do you have the experience of analyzing any trends in securities, mutual funds, etc.?   Answer Question
    • Do you have experience working with high wealth individuals?   1 Answer
    • Have you ever had a confrontation with a client or customer? How did you handle it?   1 Answer
    • Are you okay with working independently and being given tasks you are solely responsible for?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Pretty simple. A Seasonal Intern doesn't have much to negotiate right off the bat. Once I started I negotiated to work more hours and they agreed. Then was asked to stay on as a part-time Client Associate during the school year.

Team Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

I stopped the process after seeing that the branch manager wasn't giving me any indication about the compensation range. After three weeks of meeting him and the team, I decided it was time to speak numbers. The offer was mediocre and non-negotiable

Salary was not competitive

PMD Financial Adviser Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Was hired essentially over the phone. Spoke with recruiter a couple of times so was basically hired before I went in for interview. Met with the HR person and was told as long as I passed the drug test and background check we were good to go. Started the next Monday.

Interview Questions

• Didn't ask anything specific or surprising. Very typical interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes. They wanted to pay less but I simply said this was the base I needed and they agreed.

Financial Advisor PMD Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch in April 2016.

Interview

I applied online, then received an email from a recruiter to take two online assessments, first test was scenario based as an FA and sales scenarios, second was a general economics and math exam taken, both taken at home with no time limit. Once passed, I received an email from the recruiter to set up a 30 minute phone screening interview. Very simple questions; just wanted to know what my network was. The recruiter got me in contact with a managing director/complex director for my region. I did an in person interview with him at the office. Just wanted me to tell him my full story. It was actually pretty relaxed. I had a strong application with a business plan which helped me out in my interview. Once passed he had his assistant set up 3 interviews with FA's from the office in one day as a final check. The director mailed me their expectations for performance hurdles before I attended the 3 interviews.

I turned down the offer because they were expecting me to bring in roughly 10 million AUM a year for three years to pass the PMD program. I had to be honest with myself and my network. I don't think I would have been able to meet those performance hurdles.

Interview Questions

• Give me your best summary about yourself.   1 Answer