Merrill Lynch Investment Banking Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Merrill Lynch Investment Banking Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Dec 27, 2016

3.4

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

Smooth - sent an email to the a person who I was introduced through by a mutual friend, and she helped me with the process the entire way through. Phone interview only, and then was offered a summer intern experience in the Palo Alto office. After the summer, I was offered a full-time analyst position.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Merrill Lynch

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Interview

I applied through my school's career services website and got a 30-minute on-campus interview with an associate. Nothing really unexpected. My interviewer was really nice. The whole interview was more like a casual chat.

Interview Questions

• Started off with walking through the resume and then he sticked around asking me about my equity research experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Boston, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

Behavioral first round, very very nice people. Alum one on one, questions based on resume. Want to find out if you are an interesting person and well-prepared enough. Interviewer seemed nice but actually very distant

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Lake Los Angeles, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Phone screen with simple resume questions and allowed you to ask several questions about the position. On campus interview with several technical questions and then super day with 4 different members of the team, a range from fit to technical to brain teasers.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through a DCF, explain WACC, what is a Porters 5 Forces, explain past experience and how revenue at past companies was formed. How 3 accounting statements relate   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in September 2014.

Interview

The interview consisted mainly of behavioral questions. I only had one interview in person, which occurred after a phone screen. The interviewers were not nice at all - I was in and out of the room in less than ten minutes, which was a very different experience than I had at any other investment bank. It seemed like they had already made up their mind.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in April 2010.

Interview

The interview was fast-paced. The interviewer, probably because he's used to the working environment in New York, asks questions on a fast pace and expects you to react as quick as possible. They don't care what you feel, how you feel; they just expect you to understand things fast and quick and do whatever they want you to do.

Interview Questions

• This is a expectation question. If there's a game that say you can roll one die up to 3 times, you can choose to stop on the first roll, or second, or third, and I will pay you the amount shown on the die. How much should I charge you for this game?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in January 2008.

Interview

Phone interview with team hiring manager (VP in the group). 1-on-1's with 1 senior analyst, 2/3 associates, 2/3 VPs, 1 MD covering both technical questions as well as personality questions. After technicals, most focus on "fit" with the team.

Interview Questions

• How do you adjust for operating leases for retail companies?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiate on start date. Salary is market standard.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch in January 2007.

Interview

Typical banking interview. Why do you want to do banking? Why the firm? Some technical questions (how would you value a Company? What are the benefits / strengths of the basic valuation methodologies) and then fit (what do you do for fun? are you a hard worker?)

Interview Questions

• What is 7^4 (no paper just mental math)   Answer Question
    • What is the probability that two people in NYC have exactly the same number of hairs on their head   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

I initially submitted an online application, then I had to complete a situational judgement test. I was then was invited to do a telephone interview with an M&A analyst. The whole chat was very informal. Questions were mainly behavioral. I was also asked a few technical/markets questions in the end.

Interview Questions

• What's DCF? What's currently happening in the market? Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)) in September 2015.

Interview

Mostly behavioral questions. The interviewer talked about her expectations for a full time analyst as well as some daily tasks. Then we talked about my experience in banking and why I think I'm a good fit. We spent another 10 minutes talking about the market.