Merrill Lynch Interview Questions in New Jersey | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 11, 2017

33 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Paramus, NJ).

Interview

Smooth process, the interviewers were patient and willing to answer questions about the workplace. Being that I was interviewing for an internship position, the interviewers were understanding with certain gaps in financial knowledge.

Interview Questions

• How would you talk a client out of making a detrimental move with their account when they insist on following through.   Answer Question

PMD Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Jersey City, NJ) in April 2017.

Interview

Met with the regional director to go over what I can bring to the table, the conversation was honest and insightful. Great experience for anyone looking to learn more about the field and where they can take their career.

Interview Questions

• How many high net worth individuals do you know that you can sign up?   1 Answer

GWIM Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pennington, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Pennington, NJ) in October 2016.

Interview

Interview process was horrible to set up. First interview was on campus and was no big deal, just simple resume questions and why i was drawn to the role. After that HR never reached out with an update on my application, emailed my interviewer who talked to HR. HR then emailed me with a final round interview. Never once was a description of the role or even a title for the internship mentioned, only talked about what divisions you could be placed in. Go to final interview and one of the two interviewers never showed up, they didn't have any questions prepared and made me ask questions to fill the time slot. Horrible.

Interview Questions

• Why this position?
      Tell me about a time you had to inspire a group?   Answer Question

Distribution Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hopewell, NJ

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Hopewell, NJ) in August 2016.

Interview

Interviewer was very warm and friendly; they didn't ask the standard cookie cutter questions and allowed me to provide more information about myself than other interviewers cared to ask. Showed a great interest in not just my resume but who I am as an individual.

Interview Questions

• If you could hold any position at Merrill what would it be and why?   1 Answer

Registered Client Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Laurel, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Mount Laurel, NJ) in August 2016.

Interview

I had the worst interview experience ever. I hope no one has to experience what I had to go through. I applied in August of 2016 and had a phone interview with a recruiter. The interview went well and the recruiter scheduled an interview with the hiring manager in Mount Laurel, NJ. The hiring manager liked me and sent me to Wilmington, Delaware to interview for the position. I was interviewed in a crowded room of 6 people in a circle. I didn't know who to look at when I was answering the questions and each of them asked me a question. It was intimidating and very unprofessional to be interviewed by 6 people in one room. Of course, I was not hired for the position. I followed up with the hiring manager, who liked me, multiple times, and after the third time, she sent me an email stating that my resume has been sent to another team. The O'Reilly and Little team contacted me the next day for an interview. I was interviewed by the financial advisor and the senior client associate. They asked me only two questions and they did most of the talking. The interview lasted an hour in a half. They liked me and scheduled a meeting with the director. I met with the senior vice president and instantly made a connection and met with the director. I filled out paperwork for a preliminary background check and the director stated, "Lets get this kid licensed." Several weeks go by and I don't hear anything, so I follow up. In late October, the financial advisor calls me back stating that he wants me on the team and human resources is holding everything up. He insured me that he wasn't wasting my time and I wouldn't have to worry about anything. More weeks go by. I follow up again to see what is going on. The financial advisor scheduled a day and time for a debriefing call. The day arrived and he never called me. I email him to ask about a good time to talk. He emails me back without an apology for not calling me on the scheduled time, and wants me to come back into the office again to chat. I am thinking I was going to sign a contract. In December, I meet with the financial advisor and the senior client associate again and they offer me a position I didn't apply for: Financial Advisor in Training. I see that they hired a Client Associate without letting me know and stating that there was a hiring freeze for November and December. I was surprised they were offering me this position because we established the fact that I was not a sales person and the Client Associate position was a better fit. When they described the position, they just stated that I would be bringing in revenue, but didn't explain how. The financial advisor also said that if the director offered me a salary lower than what he was offering to just accept it. I asked him about a written contract, and he acted like it wasn't important and the director just gives you a piece of paper to sign. Since I was surprised, I didn't ask many questions. Furthermore, the financial advisor did not want me to have a beard even though the senior client associate had one. Since they were offering me the position, I informed them that I was getting married and needed days off. Instead of saying congratulations, they responded, "Oh you are getting married. Ok." After the meeting, the financial advisor told me to think about it and that the director would be calling me. Over the weekend, I felt I needed to ask more questions. I called the following week, but the financial advisor was not available so I asked my questions to the senior client associate. I wanted to know the responsibilities and expectations for the position and I needed everything written out in a contract: salary, bonus, sponsorship of licenses, etc. That afternoon, the financial advisor emails me back that they are not interested in hiring me. After driving up from Cape May, NJ to Mount Laurel, NJ 4 times, using all my vacation days, and following up multiple times, they didn't offer me the position. I have no idea what set them off if it was asking questions about the contract or getting married. I wanted an explanation from the financial advisor but he refused to call me. They wasted 3 months of my time and led me on thinking I was going to get the position. I felt lied to, cheated, and used. Imagine how he mistreats his clients and screws them over. Bank of America (Merrill Lynch) has severe communication and organizational problems and I would not want to work for a company that screws people over for a living.

Trade Allocation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Jersey City, NJ).

Interview

It was unorthodox as I got so lost driving there I was maybe 1 hour late. At one point I was left in the office by myself for 1/2 hour.

Registered Phone Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pennington, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Pennington, NJ) in March 2016.

Interview

After applying, if ML is interested they will send you an email to complete an assessment. If you score well on the first test, you will have to do a second slightly more difficult test. The phone interviews are short and straightforward. If they like you, you will be asked to do an interview with a supervisor in the department you are applying for. It is fairly straightforward, they ask all the candidates the same questions. For entry level positions, especially the ones involving the phone lines, they will hire almost anyone because turnover is high. They will help you prepare for the Series 7 and 63. They pay for all the materials you will need to study, but you have to study on your own time. They do not allocate time to study while at work. If you put the time in, you will pass. 72 is a passing grade. If you score a 60-71 they will give you a second chance to retake the exam. If you score a 60 or lower, do not bother coming back to work. Having the 7 is great though, it will open a lot of doors within the company if you are licensed.

Interview Questions

• How do you respond to stressful situations? Give an example of when you were in a stressful situation, how did you respond?   Answer Question

Wealth Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mount Laurel, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Mount Laurel, NJ).

Interview

Interviewed with head of Wealth Management, then with Parter at wealth management group. Interview process explored my background, interests, goals, and aspirations. The interviews were very straight-forward and informal. The second interview with the finance group was more in depth- discussing the various duties I would have at the job and my qualifications with respect to those duties. Overall, the experience was not extremely stressful, but definitely formal.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoboken, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Hoboken, NJ) in February 2016.

Interview

It was on campus event. Questions were behavorial. It was a very short interview. basic questions were why this position, why this company where do you see yourself and all. He explained a lot about the role.

Interview Questions

• why this company? why this role? where do you see yourself, etc   Answer Question

Wealth Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Brunswick, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (New Brunswick, NJ) in January 2016.

Interview

The first round interview consistent of one face-to-face interview on campus. We were only allowed 30 minutes for the interview. Typical personality questions such as why you're interested in wealth management, etc.