Merrill Lynch PMD Financial Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 27, 2017

2.8

78 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted via email by a recruiter. We set up a phone interview that lasted about 30 minutes. It was basic "get to know me" questions and about my current job. She told me she will be contacting the office I applied for and they will be contacting me for an in person interview. I met with 2 managers in the office and the Branch Manager in one day. The managers asked relevant questions about my resume and my network and why I wanted to be a FA. The Branch Manager was more challenging because he asked me more detailed questions about situations and networking, but it wasn't too hard. I was then contacted by the office recruiter again to meet with a Senior FA who is a PMD program manager also. His interview went very well. He asked me about my current position and why I want to be an FA and reviewed my business plan. That same day I met with the Branch Manager again and was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about what you do in your current role?   Answer Question
  • Why do you want to be a Financial Advisor?/ did you always know you wanted to do this?   Answer Question
  • How are you going to get clients?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Merrill Lynch

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Boulder, CO) in October 2017.

Interview

Two easy assessments on personality and basic econ/math, then a phone interview. After the phone interview I was asked to complete a business plan on where I would find clients and how I would expand my business. I then was asked to come into the office for an interview which mostly focussed on whether I was dedicated and passionate enough to become an FA.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Houston, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied online in Sept 2017. Took the online assessment and FIAT test, which are behavioral assessment and basic maths and economics test, passed those. Then I was contacted by the Regional HR for a phone interview which was very pleasant. She asked basic behavioral questions and told me about the program. Then she sent a business plan template which you fill out and sent back and then they set up an interview with the panel of financial advisors.
    This is the hard part, the advisors first ask basic questions like why financial advising? why Merrill lynch? Then they drill you on your business plan. They just basically want to know that you can bring in high net worth clients.
    Advise: Make your business plan realistic. I didn't get an offer because my goals seemed ambitious and unrealistic, so it gave them the impression that I didn't know how hard the job was.

Interview Questions

• Why Merrill Lynch? Why Financial Advising? How exposed are you to high net worth clients? Where & how would you get your clients? What would be your average number of face to face meetings per week after 6 months?   1 Answer

PMD Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

Contacted via email after submitting application. Initial phone screen followed by 3 in-person interviews a week later. I was instructed to create a business plan but none of the interviewers asked to see it. Relatively easy and casual interviews overall.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Chester, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (West Chester, PA) in September 2017.

Interview

It began with an email asking me to take two assessments. The first was geared towards the job. The second was their version of a VJT/Shaker. Relatively simple.
    Next, I did a phone interview. It was a get to know you, plus some questions related to how you would contribute to Merrill Lynch's success. I wasn't moved on to the next step because I haven't finished school yet. She continued the interview and really liked my confidence and my military background.
    I was told to contact her again after I completed school in a few months.
    Tips:
    Be confident, not cocky.
    Be driven by money and success to prove yourself and goals.
    Have a niche that you can bring to the table to establish your foundation and bring in $10 million in your first year.

Interview Questions

• What will your niche be to bring in $10 million your first year?   1 Answer

PMD Financial Advisor Interview

Interview

Very simple and straight forward. A little slow moving. Had two interviews with successful Financial Advisers who worked in the office followed by a third interview with a branch manager. Questions about my background, why now ? and Why Merrill Lynch? What separates me from anyone else?

PMD/Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Wayne, PA).

Interview

Two Assessments + Virtual "Day in the Life" Assessments followed by one in phone screen interview recruiter then by 3 in person interviews with 2 managers and 1 regional director.

(I had all three interviews in one day and the Assessments were done one at a time)

Interview Questions

• Why Merrill Lynch?
      Why Financial Advising?
      Why now?
      What would your current boss say about you if they were here right now?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Charlotte, NC) in May 2017.

Interview

Submitted résumé. Took a personality test, then a financial aptitude test. Had a phone screen with a recruiter, then a 10 minute phone interview with a local FA.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you were a high achiever   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Stamford, CT) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online and heard back from a recruiter about a week later. Brief phone call with the recruiter talking about the position and if it were the right fit for me. After the call I took two online assessments which were pretty basic. I was then asked to complete a business plan and come in for an interview to go over it. I interviewed in Stamford, CT with two senior FA's, which lasted about one hour. We went over my business plan and talked about my network and how I planned to acquire clients.

Interview Questions

• How do you plan to continuously grow your client pipeline?   Answer Question

PMD Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

Assessment tests for problem solving and math skills. Next was the phone interview with the recruiter. She was very nice, explained the interview process, and told me what position would be best suited for me. Another phone interview is scheduled next

Interview Questions

• What value will you bring to the clients   1 Answer