Merrill Lynch PMD Program Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 12, 2017

3.3

4 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

PMD Program Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch in October 2017.

Interview

Assesment followed by 3 phone interviews. I was invited to come in and interview face to face. I knew after speaking with a few people during my phone interview that they were looking for someone with "wealthy connections". The minimum needed to open an account here is $250,000 and they provide no leads. It's a self source job. Face to Face interview with 2 managers and was told again about the minimum needed to open an account and that was the most important thing. You have to either have a portfolio or know a lot of rich people.

The phone interview went well and the people I spoke to were very nice. The face to face interview was more of a grilling. I guess they thought I was wasting their time by even showing up. I'm not someone that came from money or knows anyone that is rich. The reason I showed up was because I was ready to do whatever they asked, to take the tools and knowledge I would gain through the training process and apply it. That is not what they are looking for. You NEED to be a polished white guy with rich connections.

I was a little disappointed with the whole process, after reading the role description before I applied it seemed like a training program to turn you into a financial advisor. I now know it's a program designed to onboard your portfolio or your family and friends. If you are just getting into this business, this is not the program you are looking for.

Interview Questions

• Do you know anyone with investable assets of $250,000 or more?   Answer Question
  • What have you done that makes you think you could get in front of rich people and gain their trust?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Merrill Lynch

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY).

Interview

Very warm referral, and still nothing. Passed financial (98% on FIAT) and all top scores on personal/sales assessment tests. Nailed the first interview with the recruiter, literally blew it out of the water. Wrote "business plan" for the appeasement of higher-ups. Hit a brick wall at second interview with the MD and got turned down (interview started 30 minutes late - I arrived 10 min early on a very busy schedule) (Was also told by the head recruiter that sometimes he passes the best people through and they get turned down, while people he thought were barely worth the MD's time got hired and eventually fizzled out). I have a book of business from another quality advisory firm (Listed among Barron's Top 20). MD gave great feedback on interview, but I was completely blindsided by the fact that they weren't interested in giving a hard-working, high-producing advisor a chance in their TRAINING program. Also, didn't know I was interviewing for a training program. Was told to get more experience and to come back in a year? As someone who has run a company before and consulted for many; dealt with similar problems, I chalk this up to terrible all-around communication between recruiting and upper management. I feel if I came in on a Thursday with the MD's favorite steak I would have had a better chance than on a cold and stale Monday - this process was that unpredictable.

Interview Questions

• So from 1-10, how do you think you did in this interview?   1 Answer

PMD Program Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

Contacted first by a recruiter in St. Louis for a phone interview (behavioral)
    Then, Took 2 online timed aptitude test (easy math)
    Waiting to hear back on a face to face interview in the Chicago Office.

Interview Questions

• nothing to hard yet. 4th grade compound fraction math lol   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Newport Beach, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

Merrill Lynch is very thorough when it comes to their interview process. It takes time, but is well worth it.